Will moss help absorb extra moister in substrate?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
tayc1998

Will moss help absorb extra moister in substrate?

Post by tayc1998 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:57 pm

Pretty straight forward question. I use the coconut fiber substrate, and havent had an issue with flooding for bacterial blooms, but it's still a concern i have as my substrate is pretty moist. I have a suspended moss pit and was wondering if adding some on top of the substrate will help recapture the extra water? Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Motörcrab

Re: Will moss help absorb extra moister in substrate?

Post by Motörcrab » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:34 pm

I would say yes and no. Dry moss will suck up some water but won't suck it up from the bottom on the tank. Adding moss around water pools with bubblers will help catch overspray before it reaches the substrate. If you have a moss pit you can also swap dried moss with moist stuff. You can do that over and over. Sphagnum moss sucks up a lot of water compared to other types. Hopefully that answer makes sense.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
tayc1998

Post by tayc1998 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:25 am

Motörcrab wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:34 pm
I would say yes and no. Dry moss will suck up some water but won't suck it up from the bottom on the tank. Adding moss around water pools with bubblers will help catch overspray before it reaches the substrate. If you have a moss pit you can also swap dried moss with moist stuff. You can do that over and over. Sphagnum moss sucks up a lot of water compared to other types. Hopefully that answer makes sense.

I think i get what you're saying. So i have my moss pit suspended in a hammock basically in front of my heaters. Theoretically i could take the dry moss and put it on the substrate you absorb some extra moisture, then place it in the pit once it's wet to dry out in front of the heaters. Am i getting that right?

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:59 pm

Yes! That way you will collect any overspray and your crabs will have moist moss!
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities