Lid and heat suggestions please

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Rgorman

Lid and heat suggestions please

Post by Rgorman » Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:31 am

Hello,
I just got a new, larger tank for my crabs, but since it’s taller, the heating arrangement I had in the smaller tank isn’t working well and I’m having a difficult time keeping it warm. The tank is a 36 gallon bowed front aquarium by Top Fin (if you Google it, it will pop up) and the lid is plastic with LED light strips with a hole for the filter. I slid the cord for the heat light through the hole for the filter and the heat light is hanging in the tank. The heat in the immediate area of the heat light is great, but anything away from the heat light is between 72-75°. I also have a heating pad on the side glass, which is between the inside of the tank and a glass cutting board. The lead for the thermostat is directly against the heating pad between the glass cutting board and the heating pad (I was told to do this for safety reasons), and the thermostat is set at 80°. Because the lead is against the heating pad, I don’t think it gives off much heat throughout the tank. My husband doesn’t like the heating pad at all, thinks it’s a fire hazard, and wants me to get rid of it. Also, the water is so far from the heat source that it’s not getting warm enough for them to go in it. I thought my crabs would be happier in the larger tank but I think the heat issue is stressing them. They used to be more active and out constantly. Now they are constantly under the hiding box unless I put some really appealing food in there. I think I may need a new lid to allow for more heat and/or ceramic and/or infrared lights? Are there any suggestions on how I can keep the warmth throughout without having a fire hazard?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Lid and heat suggestions please

Post by wodesorel » Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:22 am

Heat lamps get a lot hotter than a good quality UTH will, hot enough to cause immediate burns and catch things on fire. I've registered 400+ degrees surface temps on red lamps before, while Ultratherms max out at around 140 even without using a thermostat.

You won't be able to get enough heat inside the tank having the probe against the pad and the thermostat set that low. The pad has to be warmer than the target air temp in order to warm enough of the space. A probe can be used directly touching but you'd probably need to set it at 100 or 110 degrees in order to get enough warmth coming off it. Otherwise the probe should be inside the tank where the crabs will be and set to where you want the air temp (80 or whatever) and it'll control the pad that way. Their water temp will match the air temp of the tank.

If you're really worried about fire risk, make sure you're using a good brand name pad that is made for insulating over. Most are not. Ultratherm is the most used by crabbers and has a good record with reptile keepers. I have a ton of Flukers and really like them, but they're all older and only a few were made after they moved production to China so I'm honestly not sure of current quality.

Also, UTH should never be used inside of the tank as they aren't made to be water/moistureproof or claw proof. (Radiant heat panels would be more appropriate for that kind of usage but the cost is much higher and they dont really attach to glass.) Pads should be attached to the outside where they will stay dry and cords will stay away from pinchers.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Rgorman

Post by Rgorman » Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:01 pm

Thank you for the info. So a ceramic or infrared heater won’t work? I’m having a hard time convincing my husband that a heating pad won’t cause a fire. We need something that we can leave on all day when we’re not home.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:29 pm

I have had heat pads on all my tanks for over 13 years. The current tank has four - two on the back and one on each side.
As long as you follow the instructions, they are not a fire hazard. Do not insulate over top of mats that cannot be safely insulated over top (the ones with a sticky side). Do not put the heat mat under the bottom of the tank. Do not un-stick and move a heat mat to another location.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Rgorman

Post by Rgorman » Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:01 am

curlysister wrote:I have had heat pads on all my tanks for over 13 years. The current tank has four - two on the back and one on each side.
As long as you follow the instructions, they are not a fire hazard. Do not insulate over top of mats that cannot be safely insulated over top (the ones with a sticky side). Do not put the heat mat under the bottom of the tank. Do not un-stick and move a heat mat to another location.
Thank you. What brand do you use? Do you use a thermostat? What temperature do you keep it, and where do you put the lead?

Demaetrix

Post by Demaetrix » Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:11 pm

curlysister wrote:I have had heat pads on all my tanks for over 13 years. The current tank has four - two on the back and one on each side.
I do have a question on insulation.

So I’m using a Reptile Basics UTH for the back of my tank. It is laminated. I didn’t peel anything off, there were no instructions for installation.

I used reflective foil tape to mount it on the backside of my tank, and I used double reflective insulation to cover the whole backside of my tank as well. Some of the UTH wire was covered as well.

Do you think this is safe?

Demi
“⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️”
- 🦀🐚

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:56 pm

That should be safe

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:53 pm

Rgorman wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:01 am
Thank you. What brand do you use? Do you use a thermostat? What temperature do you keep it, and where do you put the lead?

I have two Zoo Med UTH, they are not insulated over top. And I have two from Bean Farm, which I insulated with cardboard wrapped in aluminum foil and taped over top. In winter I also have two wool blankets folded up on the top of the tank.

I do not use a thermostat. I have an AcuRite thermometer/hygrometer that sits on the surface in the middle of the tank (yeah, I know that some people say it needs to be 2 inches above the surface, but whatever LOL). I have moved it around at times, close to the heat or far away from it - just to see how much it varies. But now I leave it in the center and the temp there ranges from 78-82. I check the tank daily, and unplug/ plug heater as needed to keep the temp in range.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Rgorman

Post by Rgorman » Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:50 am

curlysister wrote: I have two Zoo Med UTH, they are not insulated over top. And I have two from Bean Farm, which I insulated with cardboard wrapped in aluminum foil and taped over top. In winter I also have two wool blankets folded up on the top of the tank.

I do not use a thermostat. I have an AcuRite thermometer/hygrometer that sits on the surface in the middle of the tank (yeah, I know that some people say it needs to be 2 inches above the surface, but whatever LOL). I have moved it around at times, close to the heat or far away from it - just to see how much it varies. But now I leave it in the center and the temp there ranges from 78-82. I check the tank daily, and unplug/ plug heater as needed to keep the temp in range.
Thank you!