Exoterra climbing backgrounds safe for hermies?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
eregel

Exoterra climbing backgrounds safe for hermies?

Post by eregel » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:08 am

I'm working on setting up my new-to-me Exo Terra, and was surprised to find that the rock-like background seems to be made of something like styrofoam. Hermie safe? Or will they just shred it? Anyone have any personal experience with them?

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:14 am

thats a good question! I saw that stuff the other day and contemplated getting it, i want to know the answers too before I decide to buy it! hopefully someone will have the answer.

Cynderella727

Post by Cynderella727 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:28 am

When I set up my 33 gal Exo-terra, I removed the background. It seems to crumble relatively easy, and I just did not want to take the chance of one of the crabs eating it. For me it simply wasn't worth the risk.
Mommy of 1 human, 1 cat, 2 dogs, and 6 Purple Pinchers.
~Crabby since July '07

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:22 am

Got one in my tat. Crabs love to carve a new ledge along the top. Its also one of their favorite spots.

Been in there since July 08 and not had any problems except that the bits keep ending up in the fresh water pool floating on surface.

Do not worry the crabs won't eat it. Also it gives a safe hiding place for any pill bugs you may have as clean up crews.

I tend to think the crabs enjoy it as they are often on it.

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:36 am

I purchased a background for my tat. They had one in the shop and hermes was able to climb on it to the ceiling. I think he loved it. It will arrive soon