Salt water?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author

Salt water?

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:00 am

I got my first E. But, I haven't been able to buy 'real' sea salt (the expensive stuff, from a pert store) but I have 'all natural organic' sea salt my mom uses to cook with. I looked on the back to read the ingredients and it says, "Atlantic ocean sea salt." So, I mixed a little in with the water and tasted it to make sure it wasn't too salty. Is this okay for my E? At least for a little wile until I am able to buy the good stuff?

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:19 am

Nope [smilie=lecturef.gif] You need the kind from the pet store. Oceanic and Instant Ocean are my favourite brands, all species of hermit crabs need salt water. Ask one of your parents to get you some if you can't afford it. [smilie=luck.gif] with the new Es.

FrumpityLump

Post by FrumpityLump » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:23 am

I got a 15 lbs bag of instant ocean for $24.99, and that was Canada. If you live in the States, it will probably be less. I could be wrong, though.

Good luck!
3PP- Minnie, Archibald, Marimo

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:34 am

seasalt is very cheap in the US.. You can buy like the quart carton of API/DocWellfish seasalt for like, less then $5 I believe it is. And it lasts awhile.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:17 pm

mogymog wrote:seasalt is very cheap in the US.. You can buy like the quart carton of API/DocWellfish seasalt for like, less then $5 I believe it is. And it lasts awhile.
API salt is for killing parasites & healing cuts on fresh water fish. It isn't ocean salt, it's fresh water salt. You need to use Oceanic or Instant Ocean salt :) which is designed for salt water fish.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:28 pm

Uh no its not. Its made for saltwater, for crabs to drink. It's even endorsed and most of the older people here recommend it

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:47 pm

Are you sure? I have only seen it for fresh water aquariums :oops:

limeslide

Post by limeslide » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:16 pm

Hermitcrazy wrote:Are you sure? I have only seen it for fresh water aquariums :oops:

I use it with no affects.
If all mankind were to disappear, the world would regenerate back to
the rich state of equilibrium that existed ten thousand years ago.
If insects were to vanish, the environment would collapse into Chaos
"
-E.O. Wilson

Viperfish

Post by Viperfish » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:02 pm

I've always heard it doesn't hold salinity well. I'll look into it when I get some cash for some API salt.
Last edited by Viperfish on Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Willow

Post by Willow » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:18 pm

The only thing about API salt is that you need to mix it really strong, NOT according to the package directions. Use 1 or 1 1/2 tablespoons per 16 ounces of water (8-12 tablespoons per gallon). I use it sometimes. It's fine for hermies, though some people believe it doesn't have all the right minerals for long-term use. I know some experienced crabkeepers who have been using it for years. In any case, it's certainly safe for short-term use.

spidtat

Post by spidtat » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:57 pm

I have been getting mine from Petco here lately. It is real ocean water pre-made and my Straws absolutely love it. It runs about 10 or eleven dollars for 5 gallons though, but still worth it for me not to have to mix it.
1 Rugs 2 Indo's, 2 Viola's, 4 Straws, 11 PP's, and 10 E's= 1 Very happy owner

limeslide

Post by limeslide » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:29 pm

Willow wrote:The only thing about API salt is that you need to mix it really strong, NOT according to the package directions. Use 1 or 1 1/2 tablespoons per 16 ounces of water (8-12 tablespoons per gallon). I use it sometimes. It's fine for hermies, though some people believe it doesn't have all the right minerals for long-term use. I know some experienced crabkeepers who have been using it for years. In any case, it's certainly safe for short-term use.
Ditto! I use 14 teaspoons per gallon.
If all mankind were to disappear, the world would regenerate back to
the rich state of equilibrium that existed ten thousand years ago.
If insects were to vanish, the environment would collapse into Chaos
"
-E.O. Wilson

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:57 pm

spidtat wrote:I have been getting mine from Petco here lately. It is real ocean water pre-made and my Straws absolutely love it. It runs about 10 or eleven dollars for 5 gallons though, but still worth it for me not to have to mix it.
I use that kind too....I find my straws in it more than when i used to mix it.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:14 pm

the guys are right :)

I used salt water glub wich is 24 oz for 8 bucks.
and for half that i bought a 1.4 lb bag of Oceanic saltwater that makes 5 gallons of water.

Its been working really well for me, and ive heard many other crabbers like to use it as well, its the least expensive brand i can find.

and i change my water every day because my crabs like to load up the water bowl with sand :)

so it works out nicely for me :)

and make sure you are using purified water, not tap when you do mix the salt :)

hope this helped.

Topic author

How much ocean salt per gallon?

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:11 pm

Today I purchased Instant Ocean Salt.

The directions state to dilute 1/2 cup of salt per gallon of water.

Is this the same recommended dilution for crabbies?

(Just checking)