help What wattage for bulb and light color

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

What color is your bulb

red
36%
blue
14%
white
36%
black
No votes
purple
14%
other
No votes

Total votes: 14

Topic author

help What wattage for bulb and light color

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:43 pm

Today I'm going to buy a lamp and bulb for my hermits. I already have a UTH. Should I still buy a lamp.
And I have a 20 gal tank should I buy a 40 or 25 watt moonlight bulb or red light bulb.

The only reason I'm buying a lamp is because the UTH's heat cant reach the top of the tank making some of the ground warm, but keeping the topsoil and air cold.
Also my UTH has an adhesive that if I take it off the tank it won't stick on anymore.
Last edited by Guest on Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Topic author

mishap with tank size

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:46 pm

I measured my tank and its actually 10 gal not 20

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:18 pm

I use a normal yellow light for my hermit crabs during the day and I just have a blue torch that I turn on if I want to see what their doing.

Its 40w normal light for a 40-45g tank.

Daniel

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:08 pm

k thx
I'm using a 25 watt
not doing much though

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:36 pm

i like the red light cause i dont have to turn lights on or off at night time.... and its easy to see what they are doing anytime without bothering them.. :}}

for me for a ten gallon i have a 60 watt and it keeps it around 75 - 80 degrees, but it is still pretty cold here :} hope it worked out :}

Topic author
Hermit_of_Hermit_Crabs

Post by Hermit_of_Hermit_Crabs » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:55 pm

I live in MS so this type of year all I am using is a 75W moonglo bulb at night. During the winter months I used a 100 or 150W Sunglo bulb during the day and a red 75W infrared heat bulb at night. Like today my tank was 79 degrees during the heat of the day with nothing but my 25W UVA/UVB light that I have on everyday.