Wet Sand or Dry Sand???

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author

Wet Sand or Dry Sand???

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:06 am

I have and 50 gallon tat the humidity and temperature in the tat is fine. I read were the hermit crabs dig under and leave a hole on top were they dig. I suspect the sand will probably need to be moist for this to happen. My sand is dry and when he Hermie's dig under the hole collapses. The question is "Should I moisten the sand?"

poncho

Post by poncho » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:31 am

Yep..you will want it to be sand castle consistency I wet mine with salt water mix ...I use instant ocean... :)
wife to very patient husband,mommy to three little ones
PPs Es Violas
Strawberries
Blueberries
Indos

Topic author
hermiegirl

Post by hermiegirl » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:39 am

Yes, any substrate (play sand or EE) should be moist enough that they can tunnel and the substrate holds shape. For sand, it's exactly what poncho said, "sand castle consistency". If you can build a sand castle that stands up in it, then it's perfect.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:49 am

Thanks a Million. I am sure my crabbies will be thankful as well. I love this association. I did not know it was so many people out there that love their crabs as much as I do.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am

Can you have to much sand in your cabitat.

Topic author
hermiegirl

Post by hermiegirl » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:00 am

well if your tank is all sand and nothing else...lol, yes. But typically, you have your substrate at least 3 times the height of your largest crab's shell. So if you're biggest crab is 1.5" tall, then you need your substrate 4.5" deep. Most people here will actually have it deeper than that because crabs love to dig and tunnel. (They think they're really earthworms teehee.)

dbolack

Re: Wet Sand or Dry Sand???

Post by dbolack » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:15 pm

SHAWANNA wrote:I have and 50 gallon tat the humidity and temperature in the tat is fine. I read were the hermit crabs dig under and leave a hole on top were they dig. I suspect the sand will probably need to be moist for this to happen. My sand is dry and when he Hermie's dig under the hole collapses. The question is "Should I moisten the sand?"
It doesn't take a lot of water either. I think I use about a half gallon per 50pounds of sand.