Possible Surface Molt

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Persia352

Possible Surface Molt

Post by Persia352 » Thu May 05, 2016 9:25 am

My DH went to Pet Supermarket Tuesday Afternoon and Surprised me with two hermit crabs. The one dug down asap and I am not worried about it at all. The other one is a different story. It sat in the saltwater dish for two hours drinking and soaking. I could tell by the white ashy appearance and slow movements it is ready to molt. She is very limp right now and has not moved{that I have seen} since Yesterday Morning. She is in the Iso tank with all the proper conditions. How long do they stay limp before they surface molt? There is no smell whatsoever, she is just not moving. Do I keep the tank dark or do I give normal daylight and dark? I covered her tank with a towel last night. i need some help with the light situation on this surface molt thing. Thanks

Kermie16

Re: Possible Surface Molt

Post by Kermie16 » Fri May 06, 2016 8:47 am

Persia352 wrote:My DH went to Pet Supermarket Tuesday Afternoon and Surprised me with two hermit crabs. The one dug down asap and I am not worried about it at all. The other one is a different story. It sat in the saltwater dish for two hours drinking and soaking. I could tell by the white ashy appearance and slow movements it is ready to molt. She is very limp right now and has not moved{that I have seen} since Yesterday Morning. She is in the Iso tank with all the proper conditions. How long do they stay limp before they surface molt? There is no smell whatsoever, she is just not moving. Do I keep the tank dark or do I give normal daylight and dark? I covered her tank with a towel last night. i need some help with the light situation on this surface molt thing. Thanks
Hey Persia 352! I'm a new crabber for almost 2 months now. So I am still learning about these mystical creatures myself! But I have had 3 molter go down and come up successfully. Unfortunately lost 1 due to PPS (post purchase syndrome) :( But my suggestion is to keep ur little guy in the dark 24-7. I would maybe check up on him and also temp and humidity once in the morning (peek) and maybe in the evening (peek). Otherwise, from my limited experience, it is best to leave him alone. The darkness can help with stimulating the hormones for molting. Also would be good to know what kind of environment u have set up for him. Depending on what species u have can also determine best temp and humidity. Anyone else want to add on to this, please do!!

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Fri May 06, 2016 11:27 am

Hi! I know a lot of info at once can be overwhelming, but if you can answer the questions linked below, we can help you figure out what's going on with your tank.

http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... hp?t=46102

Surface molts aren't the norm so they are treated as an emergency situation.

Topic author
Persia352

Post by Persia352 » Sat May 07, 2016 12:05 pm

I lost her Friday I tried but the PPS was too much. My other crabs which I have had over three years now are doing beautifully. The other new one has molted already! I see a bit of a tiny pink thing at the bottom front of the tank!

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Sat May 07, 2016 12:52 pm

Persia352 wrote:I lost her Friday I tried but the PPS was too much. My other crabs which I have had over three years now are doing beautifully. The other new one has molted already! I see a bit of a tiny pink thing at the bottom front of the tank!
So sorry for your loss :( PPS is really a terrible thing :( But so glad that your other molter is doing well! :crabblush: