Keeps getting naked

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
PTCrabs

Keeps getting naked

Post by PTCrabs » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:32 am

Hi! So I've been having a problem with a "nudist" crab. He seems fine with being naked...did it 2 days before I forced him in a shell. He stayed in that shell for a few weeks then got naked again...forced him back in his shell then a few days later found him in a different shell in the shell shop so I figured he wasn't liking the shell in his for him. He's been doing great for a few weeks but just checked on him and he was naked w his shell on one side of the tank and he was right next to the glass by the heater. Now I am having trouble keeping the tank at 70-8 humidity at night, it goes down to 60-70 I'm doing everything I can think of so here's the ER form

Since you've come to the emergency forum, we know you want a fast answer to your question. In order for us to figure out the problem as quickly as possible, we ask that you answer the following questions by coping and pasting this list into a New Topic. Some of them may seem odd, but they're all designed to give us the information we need to give you a good solution for your problem. Thanks!

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it? Play sand/6in

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read? No temp one yet, I do have humidity one and it's on the same side as the heater just opposite end

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what? Yes, uth small, on back of tank towards left side

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)? Yes salt and fresh, I use the bottled salt water from petsmart and the fresh is out of my fridge door that's filtered.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced? Peanut butter, honey, egg shells, pre made food from pet store, waiting on fresh food samples from a recommended etsy shop from this forum. I've tried kale and spinach but I don't think he eats it or he doesn't eat much for me to see...I take out all fresh in the morning and change the other every night.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known? PP I'm sure and a little over a year

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen? Yes about 2m ago

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing? 10g tank w mesh lid but I've placed foil on most of the top so it keeps in moisture...for now, I have a 20g waiting to be done once I get all parts and my other molter comes up

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they? 2, small/medium (shell opening size was 1inch)

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any? I have about 5-7 each

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently? No

12. How often do you clean the tank and how? I haven't done that yet since this is new sand within 3m

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned? They were till I was told not to so I haven't used one in about 2 weeks

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently? No

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)? I spray the tank/moss everyday, I spray Uno at same time

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail. He keeps getting naked but otherwise happy.Image this is his original shell(Orange) and the white is the one I chose for him
Image this is the shell I found him in the one he chose
Image this was just about 3 days ago he was eating his peanut butter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CallaLily

Re: Keeps getting naked

Post by CallaLily » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:53 am

Hmmm. Tricky little guy.

First I want to say that being without a shell is not normal. Crabs who go naked usually have something wrong. So your crab is not fine. He's sick or injured or too weak to carry a shell.

Good job reshelling him and I'm glad to see he's made his own selection too. You'll have to keep a close eye on him to make sure he doesn't go naked again. Double check inside all the shells for sharp bits or things stuck inside. Also look at the types of shells you're offering to be sure they're the preferred types - though this is rarely the problem with crabs going naked. They'd much rather wear a shell they're not 100% happy with then go naked. Preferred Shell Guide. But of course it's still good to make sure you offer preferred types, though having some oddballs alongside is fine too. If he continues to go naked, I think I would isolate him just to be safe. But always reshell. You can first try offering him clean shells to try but if he won't take one after an hour or so, you'll need to help him into one.

Please pick up a thermometer so you can be sure temperatures are within a safe range. For PPs this is 75-85F. Take a look at the article on salt water to be sure you're offering the proper type.

For humidity have you tried adding bubblers to the pools? Moss pits? Have you tested your hygrometer?

CrabbyCakes

Post by CrabbyCakes » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:41 am

Did your nudist recently come up from a molt?
“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.” ― Aldo Leopold

Topic author
PTCrabs

Keeps getting naked

Post by PTCrabs » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:31 am

Please pick up a thermometer so you can be sure temperatures are within a safe range. For PPs this is 75-85F. Take a look at the article on salt water to be sure you're offering the proper type.

For humidity have you tried adding bubblers to the pools? Moss pits? Have you tested your hygrometer?[/quote]

I will get a thermometer today...not sure how to test the humidity one though...it's one petsmart uses in their tanks

I have a miss pit and spray it daily and that hasn't helped the humidity and Uno doesn't care for it

Bubblers, I'm putting those in the pools I have planned for the 20g...I have a molter(hopefully still alive, went down Memorial Day) and he's in an odd place in the tank so I can't move stuff around. Also I should say he recently molted and did/is doing his post molt above ground...the first time he was naked he was freshly molted. Memorial Day is when he started moving around after his 1/2 surface molt( he dug but only enough for him to be in and he was under a drift wood, we could see him if we lifted the wood)

Last edited by PTCrabs on Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
PTCrabs

Post by PTCrabs » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:35 am

CrabbyCakes wrote:Did your nudist recently come up from a molt?

Yes, pls see Question 7

Topic author
PTCrabs

Keeps getting naked

Post by PTCrabs » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:44 am

He's still reshelled in the one he chose and I left him by his heat pad where I found him...tank humidity is between 70-80 right now

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:15 am

PTCrabs wrote:
CallaLily wrote: For humidity have you tried adding bubblers to the pools? Moss pits? Have you tested your hygrometer?
not sure how to test the humidity one though...
The link I posted above takes you to the article explaining how to test it.

I should add, a crab that goes naked briefly and reshells and stays shelled - while not normal, is probably ok and just a fluke thing. But a crab that repeatedly goes naked and won't reshell themselves or stay reshelled for long - that's definitely a concern and something is wrong. The fact that he molted recently isn't going to be why he's going naked, though if he was up and about moving around while still soft it may have caused deformities. Which could be why he's having trouble finding a shell that he can fit in and carry around. Are any of his legs bent? Any idea why he molted so shallowly and came up so soon?
Last edited by CallaLily on Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
PTCrabs

Post by PTCrabs » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:20 am

CallaLily wrote:
PTCrabs wrote:
CallaLily wrote: For humidity have you tried adding bubblers to the pools? Moss pits? Have you tested your hygrometer?
not sure how to test the humidity one though...
The link I posted above takes you to the article explaining how to test it.
thanks for the link and I'll def be sure to check it

Topic author
PTCrabs

Post by PTCrabs » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:35 am

I moved the tank to the living room and got a thermometer and the temp/humidity are perfect. I just checked on uno and he was by his water dish. I have a half grape, fresh cherry slice, crushed almond, egg shells and a drop of honey. So hopefully he will indulge in a good meal tonight...we shall see :-)

Topic author
PTCrabs

Keeps getting naked

Post by PTCrabs » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:19 am

. Are any of his legs bent? Any idea why he molted so shallowly and came up so soon?[/quote]

They don't look bent but very well could be...
As far as why he molted on top I have no idea...wish I did. We have had him and Geoffrey for a year and this is our first molt with both of them. The conditions weren't up to par thanks to the pet store but after 1 died and the other had molted and dried out I found the HCA..Sarah helped me as well as a member I met on here they helped all hours of the day and night and continue...so the tank is right where it needs to be which is why I think they both decided to molt. Uno dug under the drift wood but just enough to where he was sitting in the hole but only covered by the wood. We found Geoffrey next to him on Memorial Day and I thought uno was dead but when we got home uno was up walking around and drinking and Geoffrey was no where to be found so he went down for a molt.

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:54 am

Ahh. The length between molts may be a clue. He maybe didn't have the strength or time to dig deeper and this molt may have been very rough on him. Keep up offering a variety of good foods and watching him closely. He may molt again sooner than normal, to fix any deformities or just to "catch up."

Topic author
PTCrabs

Post by PTCrabs » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:57 am

And he's naked again this morning! Ugh...I have him in this basket w diff shells, the one I chose for him and the one he chose plus the original one he came with....I had to leave but I washed him and the shells...hopefully he pics one...

Topic author
PTCrabs

Post by PTCrabs » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:24 pm

Update: I came home and he's gotten in a totally different shell...I think he's shell hopping :-) I'll continue to watch him :-)

Topic author
PTCrabs

Post by PTCrabs » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:39 am

Sara...this is my original post...since then I have gotten a thermometer and a humidity gauge...I actually have 2 sets...and new shells from Bobbie...can't remember what else but what Bobbie suggests...I do...Geoffrey is hm doing great after his molt in same conditions

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:22 am

@soilentgringa :)

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk