HERMIT CRAB NOT MOVING!

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Kermie16

Re: HERMIT CRAB NOT MOVING!

Post by Kermie16 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:51 am

mak0124 wrote:i found a prettycheap one.
Is this good?
https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-ReptiThe ... B0002AQCKA
A lot of the crabbers here recommend ultratherm brand of UTH. Although they can be more expensive, they are worth it. Also depending on where u live and the climate there the zoomed one may be ok. I have a 10 gallon iso tank which was our first tank before we upgraded and before we knew about the ultratherm and how well it worked, we ended up needing like 3 of the zoomed UTH to boost up the temp to the 80's. With our 20 g, we only need 1 ultratherm across the backside of the tank and it has worked perfectly. Remember, the UTH needs to be on the backside of the tank, not underneath it:) Hermt crab patch food is good! Also any organic fresh foods u can get is also bonus. Other good online sources are Hermies Kitchen and Crabotanicals. All pretty decent priced, organic and will go a long way!

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:58 am

But yeah, often the most expensive part about crabs is setting up the tank... Properly. Once thats done, you're only paying for food - like the "scraps" you don't want - and maybe a decoration or two, shells or other wants... You could probably budget the monthly wants into $20 or less, $10 if you're a good shopper!

Ultratherms can also be safely insulated as well, which many of the other brands cannot. So if you have a cold house, its probably best to get the ultratherm so the tank stays warms and if needed, you can always insulate it. :)

~~~~~~~~
Has your parents seen the care guides and shown the importance of a good heating element and a proper tank? Even allowed you to offer them fresh foods?
I'm sure they have their reasons, and if they/you feel uncomfortable about disclosing it on a forum feel free to send a PM or email to the tech support - the owner of the site, Lady WolfStorm would be a good start - or even an admin you trust. That way they could have contact with a trustworthy person and possibly get you can your crab the much needed help.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

JulesRolyCrab

Post by JulesRolyCrab » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:32 pm

I would definitely second the Ultratherm. It might be a BIT more expensive, but it is 10000% more effective. Again, it depends on climate but I think if you are at 75 degrees in late summer, it might be a good investment. :D
Hopefully you decide to get it, but if your parents don't let you, that is understandable. A warm blank around the base of the tank helps.

However, if you don't think some of this is right for you, definitely listen to AussieJJDude. Feel comfortable to contact tech support or an admin about rehoming your crab.

Good luck, hope everything works out.