HELP! Mites on crab

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
charmed1212

HELP! Mites on crab

Post by charmed1212 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:01 pm

I just noticed small microscopic white things crawling on my hermit crab's legs. It's acting normal, has been very active and is currently eating. I have no idea what kind of mite it is and don't know what to do. I'm nervous because I currently have one crab molting. Can anyone help?

soilentgringa

Re: HELP! Mites on crab

Post by soilentgringa » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:17 pm

Sounds like food mites. There is a sticky in this subforum called "What's That Bug in the Crabitat?" that helps I.D. insects commonly found in crab tanks.

Food mites are harmless.

Sent from my LGLS665 using Tapatalk

Topic author
charmed1212

Post by charmed1212 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:29 pm

Thanks for the reply!! I looked in that section, but it didn't seem to help me distinguish between food mites and the harmful crab mites. Currently the only place I see them is on the crab.

Topic author
charmed1212

Re: Mites?!?!?!

Post by charmed1212 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:02 am

Trying to piggy back off this topic since it has been active. I noticed some practically microscopic white things crawling on the leg of my crab. Only like two or three that are smaller than a grain of sand. I haven't seen them anywhere else. I don't currently have an ISO to put him in and can't deep clean as my other crabbie is down molting. I gave him a bath hoping to knock some off, but figure it might not do so well since I had to put him back in the normal tank. Question is, I can't seem to distinguish if they are the harmless or harmful ones. How can I tell?

soilentgringa

Re: Mites?!?!?!

Post by soilentgringa » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:09 am

charmed1212 wrote:Trying to piggy back off this topic since it has been active. I noticed some practically microscopic white things crawling on the leg of my crab. Only like two or three that are smaller than a grain of sand. I haven't seen them anywhere else. I don't currently have an ISO to put him in and can't deep clean as my other crabbie is down molting. I gave him a bath hoping to knock some off, but figure it might not do so well since I had to put him back in the normal tank. Question is, I can't seem to distinguish if they are the harmless or harmful ones. How can I tell?
This will be moved to your OP. The mites you have sound like food mites. Harmful mites are reddish/brown in color and are stuck to the joints, antennae, eyestalks, and other soft parts of the crab.

Sent from my LGLS665 using Tapatalk

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:15 am

If you can get pics, that would be very helpful in ID'ng.

Topic author
charmed1212

Post by charmed1212 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:34 am

Thank you. I will try and see if I can get some pictures. They are so small and I've only seen a few.

PTCrabs

Post by PTCrabs » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:26 pm

soilentgringa wrote:If you can get pics, that would be very helpful in ID'ng.
I posted a pic with the original post....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PTCrabs

Post by PTCrabs » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:27 pm

PTCrabs wrote:
soilentgringa wrote:If you can get pics, that would be very helpful in ID'ng.
I posted a pic with the original post....

I'm sorry, just now seeing that someone else posted...guess your req was to her :-) NM Image