Naked Crab!~!

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Mary32

Naked Crab!~!

Post by Mary32 » Tue May 09, 2017 10:39 pm

*Up date he is currently in a shell, so I am less worried, but I am still concerned. Naked isn't good.*

My beloved Han is naked!!

Since you've come to the emergency forum, we know you want a fast answer to your question. In order for us to figure out the problem as quickly as possible, we ask that you answer the following questions by coping and pasting this list into a New Topic. Some of them may seem odd, but they're all designed to give us the information we need to give you a good solution for your problem. Thanks!

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?

1/2 moist coconut husk shred 1/2 washed and baked play sand. 4-6 in

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?

temp and humid; about 2 inch from substrate. reads normal.

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?

UTH on side. Moonlights up top during night or cold days.

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?

I have a fresh and a salt. I dont remember the brands, but I took the recommendations off of here.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?

My crabs mostly eat unsalted, un buttered pop corn. They love it. I always have 2 types of hermit crab pellets available but I haven't seen them eat it once. I leave food scraps in there some times. I take out what is left of the kernal husks, the rest was changed out maybe 2 weeks ago.
I did put it some banana peal the other day- they didn't touch it. It just went black, and I havent taken it out yet.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?

Oh for about a year. He is a PP I assume. Just a normal pet store crab.

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?

He has molted a bundle of times. I haven't seen him much in the last 2 months so he might have molted, but he is very bashful, so I wouldn't know one way or the other.

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?

10 gallon tank. It has a mesh lid with a light hood.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?

3 crabs. Harold's is probably in a 3/4 opening. Hal is a little smaller. Han is about a 1/2 in.

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?

A whole bundle, but they were behind a rock. Maybe he couldn't turn them around to get a good look at them?? Also When I cleaned the tank ago I put away all the small shells. I have like 4 in there his size (or so I thought-maybe I am wrong!?!?)!

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?

Not that I know of- but I can't smell bacon cooking so....

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?

Oh about every 3 months. I put my crabs in the little carrier. I take all the rocks out and clean any debris out (old legs, corn kernals, etc) I rehydrate the substrate, put back in all the stuff, and put in the crabs.

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?

no.

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?

Just a banana pill a week ago. I went up to add some chicken and the little feller was running around naked!

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

My crabs have done very well for the last year. I went out of town for a month and let my brother take care of my crabs and Holly died, I think from the cold. One time Hal decided he liked Han's (the naked crab's) shell, and tried to kill him for it. I heard Han's chirping in time to stop him, but not before he lost an eye and a leg to the ever power hungry Hal (names are important I learned). Within a few molts his leg was great and his new eye fully developed. He has been good, just more bashful. And more willing to stay at the bottom of the food chain.

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.

So I was eating me some BBQ Chicken, and thought maybe my crabs would like some meat. I went up stair and dropped some in, and saw Han staring at me Naked!!! Hal was sitting in the food dish 1 in away just eating his food. Han (naked man) was eating pop corn-more active then he normally is, and NAKED! This is not okay! I immediately started calling out "CRAB EMERGENCY!" And executed rehabitation procedures with great haste, drawing out all the stuff I put in the corner of my brain (mostly from this site). He looked happy as can be just to be naked, but I know that naked is bad. One note is that he looked noticeably Smaller! I get that he isn't in his shell, but even his big claw just looks way smaller. Is that even possible?

I got the tiny cary case (1/2 the size of a shoe box) and got some coco nut shred in there and soaked it real fast. I found some shells about his appropriate size and put them in. Then, after some brain storming my room mate brought me a spoon and I scooped him up and put him in the carrier. There is very little space left, but I added a pop lid of fresh and salt water. I also put in some pop corn and a bit of chicken. Then I closed the lid and put the whole carrier in the tank. It is a little akward, but it is the only way he is gonna be warm and moist enough.

:crabblush:
I just checked on him, and he did put himself in a shell. Hopefully he stays in there the dear silly bean. If he runs naked again what am I to do!?!?! Is this a shell size/accessibility problem?

LadyJinglyJones

Re: Naked Crab!~!

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Tue May 09, 2017 11:17 pm

Hiya!

Glad he's back in a shell!

With regard to temp & humidity, what numbers exactly do the therm/hygrometers read? And do you use a digital or an analog (one with a dial)?

4 crabs in a 10 gal tank is twice as many as HCA recommends... 3 is still a bit more crab-to-square footage than is ideal. Upgrading your tank size may be a goal you want to work towards.

And I'm a bit concerned about the variety of diet as you describe it. Have you read the food pyramid sticky? I'll link it below. Store brand pellets aren't recommended at all, and most contain ingredients known to be bad for crustaceans.

http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 25&t=92554

The shell Han ended up with after Hal took his may not be one the crab finds comfortable, or may be too heavy for him. I realise it may seem like a long time ago, but it does not strike me as coincidental. I would try to get a hold of more shells in his size, with a focus on lighter types, like mexican turbos. The aggressive shell snatching you describe is worrisome & may be a byproduct of the crowding in the tank.
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Naked Crab!~!

Post by GotButterflies » Wed May 10, 2017 8:16 am

I replied GB for GotButterflies
Mary32 wrote:*Up date he is currently in a shell, so I am less worried, but I am still concerned. Naked isn't good.*

My beloved Han is naked!!

Since you've come to the emergency forum, we know you want a fast answer to your question. In order for us to figure out the problem as quickly as possible, we ask that you answer the following questions by coping and pasting this list into a New Topic. Some of them may seem odd, but they're all designed to give us the information we need to give you a good solution for your problem. Thanks!

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?

1/2 moist coconut husk shred 1/2 washed and baked play sand. 4-6 in

GB: substrate should be a minimum of 6 inches or 3 times the size of your largest crab (whichever is deeper) it should also be sandcastle consistency. Mix with dechlorinated marine saltwater or dechlorinated fresh water.

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?

temp and humid; about 2 inch from substrate. reads normal.

GB: what is normal? Minimum temp & humidity should be 80. I personally don't let my heat go above 85.

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?

UTH on side. Moonlights up top during night or cold days.

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?

I have a fresh and a salt. I dont remember the brands, but I took the recommendations off of here.

GB: what dechlorinator do you use? Needs to remove chlorine and chloramine, as well as detoxify ammonia and heavy metals. Salt should be to mimic ocean water- like instant ocean. Use according to directions.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?

My crabs mostly eat unsalted, un buttered pop corn. They love it. I always have 2 types of hermit crab pellets available but I haven't seen them eat it once. I leave food scraps in there some times. I take out what is left of the kernal husks, the rest was changed out maybe 2 weeks ago.
I did put it some banana peal the other day- they didn't touch it. It just went black, and I havent taken it out yet.

GB: do not use salted or seasonings. Also, please check to make sure the pellet food you are feeding is on the safe commercial food list. Many hermit crab foods are not safe. Please also give them a variety of foods and follow the food pyramid.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?

Oh for about a year. He is a PP I assume. Just a normal pet store crab.

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?

He has molted a bundle of times. I haven't seen him much in the last 2 months so he might have molted, but he is very bashful, so I wouldn't know one way or the other.

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?

10 gallon tank. It has a mesh lid with a light hood.

GB: you can cover the mesh with press n seal to keep humidity in

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?

3 crabs. Harold's is probably in a 3/4 opening. Hal is a little smaller. Han is about a 1/2 in.

GB: 3 crabs is crowded for a 10 gallon. Try to upgrade as soon as you can. Craigslist, Offerup, Letgo are all good places to find good deals

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?

A whole bundle, but they were behind a rock. Maybe he couldn't turn them around to get a good look at them?? Also When I cleaned the tank ago I put away all the small shells. I have like 4 in there his size (or so I thought-maybe I am wrong!?!?)!

GB: The HCA recommends 3-5 shells per crab. I recommend more. You can never have too many! There are incorrect shells to buy. Please refer to the shell guide.

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?

Not that I know of- but I can't smell bacon cooking so....

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?

Oh about every 3 months. I put my crabs in the little carrier. I take all the rocks out and clean any debris out (old legs, corn kernals, etc) I rehydrate the substrate, put back in all the stuff, and put in the crabs.

GB: you only need to scoop out poo and old food. Your sub should stay hydrated

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?

no.

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?

Just a banana pill a week ago. I went up to add some chicken and the little feller was running around naked!

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

My crabs have done very well for the last year. I went out of town for a month and let my brother take care of my crabs and Holly died, I think from the cold. One time Hal decided he liked Han's (the naked crab's) shell, and tried to kill him for it. I heard Han's chirping in time to stop him, but not before he lost an eye and a leg to the ever power hungry Hal (names are important I learned). Within a few molts his leg was great and his new eye fully developed. He has been good, just more bashful. And more willing to stay at the bottom of the food chain.

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.

So I was eating me some BBQ Chicken, and thought maybe my crabs would like some meat. I went up stair and dropped some in, and saw Han staring at me Naked!!! Hal was sitting in the food dish 1 in away just eating his food. Han (naked man) was eating pop corn-more active then he normally is, and NAKED! This is not okay! I immediately started calling out "CRAB EMERGENCY!" And executed rehabitation procedures with great haste, drawing out all the stuff I put in the corner of my brain (mostly from this site). He looked happy as can be just to be naked, but I know that naked is bad. One note is that he looked noticeably Smaller! I get that he isn't in his shell, but even his big claw just looks way smaller. Is that even possible?

I got the tiny cary case (1/2 the size of a shoe box) and got some coco nut shred in there and soaked it real fast. I found some shells about his appropriate size and put them in. Then, after some brain storming my room mate brought me a spoon and I scooped him up and put him in the carrier. There is very little space left, but I added a pop lid of fresh and salt water. I also put in some pop corn and a bit of chicken. Then I closed the lid and put the whole carrier in the tank. It is a little akward, but it is the only way he is gonna be warm and moist enough.

:crabblush:
I just checked on him, and he did put himself in a shell. Hopefully he stays in there the dear silly bean. If he runs naked again what am I to do!?!?! Is this a shell size/accessibility problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com