Empty shell no body?

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Samara

Empty shell no body?

Post by Samara » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:17 am

I am quite a newbie to Hermit Crabs but did do research and set up what I was told was a nice habitat for my 2 new crabs. Upon introducing Timothy and Jeff to their new home on Wednesday, Timothy immediately buried him/her self after exploring for a bit. No big deal, normal crab behavior I thought. Today (Saturday) I carefully dug the substrate and found a completely empty shell. Fearing the worst I gently checked the area near the shell but have not discovered a body. I am perplexed. I have left the empty shell in the surface. Can someone tell me what may have gone wrong? I am using eco earth substrate with 2 small/mid size crabs, moderate room temp and good humidity levels. Other crab buries partway but is otherwise active. Any help you can give is welcome. Thanks in advance!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Empty shell no body?

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:59 pm

Crabs bury shells that they like all of the time please know that it is not recommended to dig up crabs at any time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Happyhermiehome

Re: Empty shell no body?

Post by Happyhermiehome » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:18 am

So the shell in question, are u sure it was the one said crabbie was wearing? Maybe double check your extra shells in the tank. hopefully it's just a spare.

My crabbies will bury almost anything I leave directly on the sub. They will also dig up anything I have partially buried like the ends of sticks and scallop shells that I stick in the sand. silly crabs!
Livin' the Crazy crab life :P