my crab just molted, left his shell, and i can't find him.

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
gui

my crab just molted, left his shell, and i can't find him.

Post by gui » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:40 am

hi, this is Gui, my little hermie surface molted and i went to check on him and found his shell turned over and it looked like he had been eaten, I cried for about an hour then i pulled what i thought was what left of him out of his shell.I saw it was only his exoskeleton, But I can't find hermie anywhere, could it be possible that he is alive? could he have went underground without a shell?

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: my crab just molted, left his shell, and i can't find hi

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:36 pm

gui wrote:hi, this is Gui, my little hermie surface molted and i went to check on him and found his shell turned over and it looked like he had been eaten, I cried for about an hour then i pulled what i thought was what left of him out of his shell.I saw it was only his exoskeleton, But I can't find hermie anywhere, could it be possible that he is alive? could he have went underground without a shell?
Hello Gui. More than likely he is still in his shell, just way back in the shell so you cannot see him/her. Put the exoskeleton back so that he can eat it. If you have more than one hermit crab, this crab needs to be isolated. Please put him in a critter keeper inside of your tank so that heat/humidity can be the same if you don't have an iso tank. There is also a reason he must have surface molted. Please fill out the following template so that we can help you figure out why. Good luck! Oh, and no, he would not have dug down without a shell.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=46102
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:23 pm

Hey! Welcome to the HCA!
GotButterflies said, that he probably is in his shell, but when crabs first molt, they appear to be "smaller" than before. This is mostly because they are freshly molted, and haven't hardened, or colored back yet. I would also advise you to isolate this molter if you have another crab, we wouldn't want any injuries to occur!

Hermit crabs don't really enjoy digging without their shell, as they are often very weakly after molts, and don't seem to want digging at that time.
What are you feeding your crabs? I would really suggest filling out the emergency template.
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

courtbri

Post by courtbri » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:05 am

Any updates on this crab?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My clan consists of-4 PP's: Paul, Juan, Salt & Pepper. 3 E's: Harry Houdini, Sarge and RIP Gary-lost during a molt. A Yorkie-Joey, Orange Tabby-Milo
2 teenage daughters and a husband.