Skinny Dipping Crab!

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
WinkyCrab

Skinny Dipping Crab!

Post by WinkyCrab » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:55 pm

Since you've come to the emergency forum, we know you want a fast answer to your question. In order for us to figure out the problem as quickly as possible, we ask that you answer the following questions as best you can. Some of them may seem odd, but they're all designed to give us the information we need to give you a good solution for your problem. The things in the [ brackets ] are there to make this post easier to read once submitted. Thanks!

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
Ecoearth and playsand 40-60 mixture

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
Thermometer is at 70, humidity is at 80

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
Zoomed Side/stick on heater and a 60w overhead bulb

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
Fresh water is Poland springs bottled, salt is an instant ocean mix(mixed as directed), each dish has an air stone

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
Every 3 days they get a mix of fresh meat (usually white chicken breast) vegetables and fruit, and also get treats such as safe flower petals, popcorn, snakeskin, and other Etsy-ordered goodies.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
It is a PP that I have had for about 4 years

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
Around 4 months ago

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
4 PPs in a 40 gallon breeder with a glass top

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
4 and all the size of a golf ball

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?
They have 15, about 6 are their current size, 7-8 a larger size and 1-2 smaller shells

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
No, but I recently re-mixed the substrate and rehydrated it and added some water and playsand

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
About once a week I do a regular spot and water clean and every 2-3 months I’ll refresh/rehydrate the substrate and change the decoration

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
No

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
Some cleaned dollar store flowers, a plastic shower caddy and a bin (cleaned) and some jute rope

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?
I mist everyday

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.
When I came home from school, I saw one of my crabs shells empty in the middle of the tank far from the shell shop. I found him naked in the salt water dish moving around. I don’t know what to do, but I think I’m going to attempt to carefully lift him into an iso container with his and some new shells to hopefully get him to go back into one since he’s stopped moving as much.

Topic author
WinkyCrab

Re: Skinny Dipping Crab!

Post by WinkyCrab » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:02 pm

Update: when I went to go try and remove him after posting, I saw that his small pincher had fallen off or somehow detached itself. Looking over no it seems as if he’s climbing up the exit ramp, but I don’t know what to do. If he already lost one claw, I don’t want to stress him anymore trying to move him. I’ll wait until he’s all the way out and I’ll use a large measuring cup to move him and the substrate around him into my iso tank

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:34 am

First gently scoop him out with a cup. Get him into a small cup with just him and the shell he was in. Cover it with a towel and let him get back into that shell. Once he reshells, put him into iso. You want deep substrate for him to be able to molt, some calcium, salt and fresh water, extra shells, and some wet moss maybe. Keep it dark, you want him comfortable. It could have been a fight, or he could have been attacked while molting.
I'll attach the thread I had when I went through this recently.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:35 am

This thread was when I found him. Here's what I did

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=ht ... are_type=t

Last edited by ciaraalston on Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:36 am

Here's the afterward update thread
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=ht ... are_type=t