Do Not Know How To Respond

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Shadowdive

Do Not Know How To Respond

Post by Shadowdive » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:03 pm

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it? 6inch, though, most likely more. Sett to the largest of the crabs to be submerged by enough sand as to not be hindered by the other two hermits in the tank.

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read? I have one heat gadget that keeps track of heat and activates the heater accordingly, the same for the humidity system. I keep track of both relative and actual humidity.

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
Double heater, with a night time heat source light, set to activate if the tank temperature dips below 77 degrees.

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)? Both fresh and Salt, deep enough for submerge, not deep enough for them to sink. Salt is set to proper levels and I am ridiculously specific to a fault on it.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
Weekly, combo of dry and wets. All obtained from Hermit Crab Patch.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
7 Years, going on half year now. Purple Pinches, Lost one a few months ago in a molt.

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
Unknown, when last seen he was on the whitish side, but that was also in a half lit room and by the time I could light the room he had retreated back to a darker place.

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
38 long breeder, Plenty of places to climb, dig, and a tree to dig under....which is my current issue, (See below)

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
3 was 4 but lost one to a molt. Hard to say on size, are using shells close to a 1.5-2inch mark.

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?
Enough for each of them to re-shell 30x over, though, they are very picky on this for odd reasons. Frankly, I have plenty of shells but it is unclear if any or all of them are what they want to molt into.

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
Not that I know of, nothing I can tell has changed or has been altered in any way.

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
Do a deep clear once and year and remove the upper level of sand every 1-2 months.

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
NO, Dishes are cleaned with a combo of water a lemon juice as often as I can think to do it. Water is refilled nearly three time a week.

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
NO

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?
One Hermit Died recently in a molt, It's possible my current issue hermit (Shadow) is also experiencing a similar issue.

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.

The hermit is out of his shell, At least I observed him out of his shell. However, when I was in the room and before I could get to a light to further take note of the situation. He retreated back to the tree and entered it, to then enter a per-made hole dug deep within it. At this time I have no idea where he went within the tank and where his original shell is.

I am fearful of digging him up, since that might cause further harm to his exposed parts so I am conflicted on what is the proper course of action in this situation.
Proud Owner of:
4 PP (Kurt, Shadow, Roderick)
Successful Molts: 31 (Shadow 7, Kurt 7, Roderick 9)
Molts In Progress: Unknown
Cross Country Trips: 2 (All Crabs Survived)
Cross Country Trips With Molting Crabs: 1 (All Crabs Survived)
Hermits Who Passed Away: (Landon 7 Years)

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Do Not Know How To Respond

Post by JoeHermits » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:35 am

A naked crab is always a red flag, so you’ll likely have to look for him.

If you can’t find his original shell, you can leave him in iso with similar shells. If he doesn’t take those then place him inside one manually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk