My hermit crab is limp and not moving!

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Serendipity

Post by Serendipity » Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:14 pm

]1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
I have Zoo Med Hermit soil, it is 3 inches deep. (About the size of my largest hermit crab doubled)

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
I do have gauges, the temperature is usually at 73-78 degrees F, and the humidity is usually just in the green part on the gauge.

Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
I use a heating pad in the back of the tank.

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
I give them fresh and Salt water. The salt water dish has a bubbler(Only three days old). I use Zoo Med dechlorinator.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
I feed my hermit crabs a variety of fruits and vegetables. I give them nuts and pellets with shrimp and meal worms. I only give them things that websites say are OKAY.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
I have had my hermit crab(With a friend) for about two years. It is a purple pincher hermit crab.

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
I think it has and it was only a few months ago.

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
I have a ten gallon tank with a mesh lid. I have cardboard wrapped in tinfoil and a towel on top to keep the humidity in.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
I have Salty(The limp crab) and Hawaii. Hawaii also has a problem. She has been molting(I think) for 6 weeks. Is that normal? They are both average size but Salty is mildly larger.

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?
There are about four extra shells in the tank.

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
No.

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
I usually scoop up the waste often, through a strainer and wipe the walls down. I do this about twice a month. Also I replace the food and water every other day.

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
I have sea sponges and I clean them by rinsing them underwater with my hands.

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
Yes, three days ago I got a hermit crab bubbler, a shower catty for a second moss pit, and I am about to get a bridge for the new moss pit.

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?
I had a crab named Rip Tide, he lived with Salty but then passed away so I got Hawaii as a friend for him. I have had Hawaii for about five months.

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.
My hermit Crab Salty(Male) has been limp and not moving. He is hanging out of his shell like he is dead. But he moves slightly about once a day so he is not dead. He also does not smell like when Rip Tide died. But he has a faint odor. He doesn't move his antennae. I have heard that he could be surface molting, and that molting crabs can smell bad to. He could also be missing Hawaii, who has been buried for 6 weeks. Is it normal for Hawaii to molt for that long? Salty has been like this ever sense I got the bubbler, three days ago. Is it a coincidence? Or is the bubbler or shower catty the problem... Whatever it is, I am worried for Salty and I don't want him to die. I want him to be happy and healthy. I can send a picture if needed, but it will be a struggle to do so. Please tell me anything I need to know, just don't give me hate for doing something wrong because I just haven't found the right information yet. Thank you so much for reading this, and I hope you will respond!

My three purple pinchers: Coconut- Male, medium. Mango- Female, medium. Blueberry- Female, small.

I'm not lazy- I'm just highly motivated to do nothing. ;)

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: My hermit crab is limp and not moving!

Post by curlysister » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:59 pm

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
I have Zoo Med Hermit soil, it is 3 inches deep. (About the size of my largest hermit crab doubled)
Curly - Your substrate should be at least three times as deep as your largest crab. So if your biggest crab is about 1.5 inches, you should add an inch and a half or two more. Be sure it is moistened enough to hold it's shape, but not so wet that water pools in the bottom.

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
I do have gauges, the temperature is usually at 73-78 degrees F, and the humidity is usually just in the green part on the gauge.
Curly - What are the actual measurements of the 'green part'? Depending on what the hygrometer is designed for, it may not be where it needs to be. THe humidity should be over 75 percent for crabs.

Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
I use a heating pad in the back of the tank.

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
I give them fresh and Salt water. The salt water dish has a bubbler(Only three days old). I use Zoo Med dechlorinator.
Curly - The Zoo Med dechlorinator may not remove everything it needs to from your tap water. What type of salt are you using? Be sure to check the 'water' care sheet for everything you need to know.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
I feed my hermit crabs a variety of fruits and vegetables. I give them nuts and pellets with shrimp and meal worms. I only give them things that websites say are OKAY.
Curly - Crabs need a variety of foods, including calcium and protein daily. Many commercial pellets contain additives and preservatives that can be harmful long term. Be sure to look at the 'commercial food' care sheet to determine which ones contain things that aren't good for them.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
I have had my hermit crab(With a friend) for about two years. It is a purple pincher hermit crab.

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
I think it has and it was only a few months ago.

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
I have a ten gallon tank with a mesh lid. I have cardboard wrapped in tinfoil and a towel on top to keep the humidity in.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
I have Salty(The limp crab) and Hawaii. Hawaii also has a problem. She has been molting(I think) for 6 weeks. Is that normal? They are both average size but Salty is mildly larger.
Curly - Crabs can molt for anywhere from a couple of weeks to a few months, depending on their size.

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?
There are about four extra shells in the tank.
Curly - HCA recommends at least 3 to 5 extra shells per crab. Be sure to check the 'shells' care sheet to learn about appropriate types.

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
No.

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
I usually scoop up the waste often, through a strainer and wipe the walls down. I do this about twice a month. Also I replace the food and water every other day.

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
I have sea sponges and I clean them by rinsing them underwater with my hands.
Curly - Sponges harbor bacteria in the water. You can put them in the tank dry, and the crabs will munch on them. But they shouldn't be in the water dishes.

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
Yes, three days ago I got a hermit crab bubbler, a shower catty for a second moss pit, and I am about to get a bridge for the new moss pit.

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?
I had a crab named Rip Tide, he lived with Salty but then passed away so I got Hawaii as a friend for him. I have had Hawaii for about five months.

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.
My hermit Crab Salty(Male) has been limp and not moving. He is hanging out of his shell like he is dead. But he moves slightly about once a day so he is not dead. He also does not smell like when Rip Tide died. But he has a faint odor. He doesn't move his antennae. I have heard that he could be surface molting, and that molting crabs can smell bad to. He could also be missing Hawaii, who has been buried for 6 weeks. Is it normal for Hawaii to molt for that long? Salty has been like this ever sense I got the bubbler, three days ago. Is it a coincidence? Or is the bubbler or shower catty the problem... Whatever it is, I am worried for Salty and I don't want him to die. I want him to be happy and healthy. I can send a picture if needed, but it will be a struggle to do so. Please tell me anything I need to know, just don't give me hate for doing something wrong because I just haven't found the right information yet. Thank you so much for reading this, and I hope you will respond!
Curly - There are a few things that could be improved in your tank. But if you have only had him for a few months and he hasn't molted, it could be a case of PPS (post purchase syndrome). Or he could be surface molting. Time will tell.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Serendipity

Post by Serendipity » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:38 am

Thank you for all of the tips. I think sadly Salty is dead because he has stopped moving and the smell is getting worse. I have had him longer than a few months. Also the green section, if I remember correctly was 75%-90% humidity. Should I wait longer, or bury him before he molds if he is dead. I don't want to watch him mold or fall our of his shell. If I should bury him soon, how can I pick him up without letting him fall out of his shell? I'm not sure what killed Salty, maybe he missed Hawaii, but I'm not sure if hermit crabs are advanced enough to miss another hermit crab. Do you think he may have died of age? He was about the size of a golf ball. I hope he died of age. Also I just bought cuttlebone, so that will help with the calcium. What proteins can I give my hermit crabs other than dried blood worms?
My three purple pinchers: Coconut- Male, medium. Mango- Female, medium. Blueberry- Female, small.

crabbycasey

Post by crabbycasey » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:04 pm

Hi Tori, I’m sorry to hear all this and I hope that maybe it’s a surface molt. If it were me, I would wait it out a bit since it won’t hurt to have him in there, even if he has passed and I would want to be 100% he’s gone and not molting. Just my personal feeling. I saw where Curly mentioned the Care Sheets and they really are super informative! There’s one on food too, where you’ll find protein sources...so many options! Lately, I’ve been feeding my guys tuna and scrambled eggs, lol. They love it! The cool thing is that they can eat mostly what we eat, as long as there aren’t any preservatives. Stick to natural foods with “1 ingredient” if that makes sense...like chicken (only ingredient is chicken) or an apple (only ingredient is the apple). That’s how I keep it safe, but others might have better info to offer on that!

I don’t think it would have been age if he was only golf ball size bc they can get much larger, like baseball size! It very well could be from PPS which is quite common unfortunately...another good read in the forums here, just to be familiar with it and understand how it might could have happened. If/when you go to pick him up, if it’s hard for you to see him like that, maybe cover him with something first and gently scoop him out with a small bowl, along with the sand under him so he doesn’t fall out.

Again, hopeful it’s a surface molt and that’s where the odor is coming from. Strong fishy odor is indication he’s passed. Good luck and please keep us posted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Serendipity

Post by Serendipity » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:00 pm

Thank you so much! I did check the food section and I am thinking about getting dried crickets for some more protein. I will wait one more day do have a memorial service for Salty, the smell has gotten worse lately. I will check out what PPS is because I have heard of it but I guess it could happen even after I have had my hermit crabs for about two years. If Salty has passed, I want to find some breeders in the Washington D.C. area. I don't want Hawaii to be alone, she deserves a fun buddy to. How many hermit crabs can fit in a 10 gallon? I'm not sure if I should get Hawaii 2 buddy's, or just 1.

Also I have a random funny story that happened a few months ago... I was watching Hawaii eating some food. She picked up an almond slice with a claw, and went into a hide. I was able to look inside on the other side and there was Salty. They then stared at each other for a while, maybe communicating. Hawaii set the almond in front of Salty and walked off to get more food. It was so cute! I like to believe she was giving it to him as a little present.

crabbycasey

Post by crabbycasey » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:10 am

Aww, I love stories like that!

How many crabs you can add to your 10g will depend on what size crabs you add to the tank...there’s a forum here for that too, lol!

Pumpkincrab

Post by Pumpkincrab » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:00 am

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!
Hi! Feel free to check out TheGourmetCrab here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheGourmetCra ... ugg_market
Owner of 4 purple pincher hermit crabs in a 55g tank.

Topic author
Serendipity

Post by Serendipity » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:52 am

Thank you. The smell has gotten so much worse that even with the lid on it started to stink up my room! I have decided bury Salty. :(
Also, I can't find the section that talks about Post Purchase Syndrome. Also the size of crabs I want to get is probably going to be about Hawaii's size. Hawaii is a bit smaller than a golf ball.

Topic author
Serendipity

Post by Serendipity » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:05 am

I just checked the size sheet, and a 10 gallon tank would be perfect for three crabs the size that I am looking for.

crabbycasey

Post by crabbycasey » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:44 am

Oh good, glad you figured it out! Also, to find info on PPS, click on “forums”...then click on the “care sheets”...then scroll down a bit until you see “Health: Post Purchase Syndrome, or why is my crab sick”.

Edit: Sorry I don’t know how to just copy and paste the link, lol.