Hermit crab molting for TOO long

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Serendipity

Hermit crab molting for TOO long

Post by Serendipity » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:10 pm

My hermit crab Hawaii has gone down to molt. She is a bit smaller than a golf ball. It has been nine weeks and she STILL hasn't come up. On the eight week mark, I found a small hole where I can partly see her shell and grey-ish body hanging out. I haven't seen any movement. I thought maybe it was her exoskeleton, but why would it still be in the shell? Also I remember seeing a grey-silver mite on her (Maybe exoskeleton)back. It crawled back deeper into her shell. I didn't dig around the hole or anything. Her friend, Salty, recently died one-two weeks ago. Hawaii is giving off the death smell. I am very afraid she is dead. Maybe they both died from mites? Maybe a sickness? Is she dead?
My three purple pinchers: Coconut- Male, medium. Mango- Female, medium. Blueberry- Female, small.

I'm not lazy- I'm just highly motivated to do nothing. ;)

MurkyCrabs

Re: Hermit crab molting for TOO long

Post by MurkyCrabs » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:31 pm

Could you fill out the emergency template? Unfortunately if she’s giving off the smell she’s likely passed. If it was her first molt it’s likely pps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:58 pm

Nine weeks isn't necessarily TOO LONG, but if you can smell something not right, she may in fact have passed away.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

crabbycasey

Post by crabbycasey » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:31 am

You sure it’s the fishy death smell? I’ve heard that a molting crab has a scent as well...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Serendipity

Post by Serendipity » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:17 pm

I am sure it's the death smell because my other hermit crab died recently and the smells are VERY similar. The only difference is that Hawaii's is less strong. Sense I think she is dead, before I get any other hermit crabs, I have to figure out the problem.

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?

I use eco earth from zoomed, mixed with calcium sand from zoomed. It is three inches deep.

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?

The humidity gauge is on the left wall, and the thermometer is in the left front corner. The humidity is usually at 80% and the temperature is usually 76 degrees fahrenheit.

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?

Yes, I have a zoomed heating pad.

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?

I have fresh and salt water. I treat it with zoomed dechlorinator part 1 and part 2.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?

I feed them leafy greens, cuttle bone, carrots, bell peppers, blueberry's, eggshell, honey, coconut oil(Creamy, not liquidly), dried blood worms, and strawberries. I am going to buy more dried bugs to give them more protein(When I get new hermit crabs). Also, is rotisserie chicken or deli meat OK to give them?

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?

I have had Hawaii for a year now. All of the hermit crabs I have ever had were purple pinchers.

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?

No this is the first time Hawaii has molted.

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?

10 gallon tank with a mesh lid. To keep in humidity I have carboard and tinfoil on top.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?

A bit less than the size of a golf ball.

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?

Four, I am going to get more when I get new hermit crabs.

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?

No.

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?

I usually wipe down the walls every month and scoop up there waste with a strainer. I replace food and water every other day, or sooner if it gets really dirty.

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?

I used to, but I recently took them out.

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?

Yes, a second moss pit and a bubbler in the salt water dish.

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

I used to have another hermit crab but I know why he died and I fixed it. I want to figure out why Salty and Hawaii both died within two weeks apart.
My three purple pinchers: Coconut- Male, medium. Mango- Female, medium. Blueberry- Female, small.

HermieBingo

Post by HermieBingo » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:12 pm

Um... this may not be too much help (I'm not an expert or anything), but it definietly sounds like PPS.

Also, I noticed that your substrate depth was 3 inches. For a bit smaller than a golf ball sized hermit, that sounds a bit shallow. But, as I said earlier, I'm not an expert.

I hope someone who is an expert answers too. :(
Last edited by HermieBingo on Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My only crabbie Charolette :)
R.I.P. Bingo

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:52 pm

I am sure it's the death smell because my other hermit crab died recently and the smells are VERY similar. The only difference is that Hawaii's is less strong. Sense I think she is dead, before I get any other hermit crabs, I have to figure out the problem.

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?

I use eco earth from zoomed, mixed with calcium sand from zoomed. It is three inches deep.
Curly - Calcium sand can turn into cement when it is wet, and can cause problems. There are a few experienced crabbers who use a bit of calcium sand with mostly EE, but if you have very much calcium sand, that can definitely cause problems molting. Your substrate should be at least three times as deep as your largest crab, and should be moist enough that it holds shape (ie- sand castle consistency).

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?

The humidity gauge is on the left wall, and the thermometer is in the left front corner. The humidity is usually at 80% and the temperature is usually 76 degrees fahrenheit.

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?

Yes, I have a zoomed heating pad.

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?

I have fresh and salt water. I treat it with zoomed dechlorinator part 1 and part 2.
Curly - Your dechlorinator may not be removing all the things it needs to, from your tap water. Have a look at the 'water' care sheet for all the info about which dechlorinators remove what. And most salts labelled for hermit crabs aren't what they actually need. You will need a marine salt to provide all the needed minerals for long term health. (Instant Ocean is a popular brand).

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?

I feed them leafy greens, cuttle bone, carrots, bell peppers, blueberry's, eggshell, honey, coconut oil(Creamy, not liquidly), dried blood worms, and strawberries. I am going to buy more dried bugs to give them more protein(When I get new hermit crabs). Also, is rotisserie chicken or deli meat OK to give them?
Curly - Any plain meat is fine - as long as there are no additives (ie- most deli meats would have) or sauces that might have things added that aren't good for them.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?

I have had Hawaii for a year now. All of the hermit crabs I have ever had were purple pinchers.

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?

No this is the first time Hawaii has molted.

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?

10 gallon tank with a mesh lid. To keep in humidity I have carboard and tinfoil on top.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?

A bit less than the size of a golf ball.

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?

Four, I am going to get more when I get new hermit crabs.
Curly - HCA recommends 3-5 extra shells per crab. Be sure to check the shell guide to ensure you have appropriate types of shells .

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?

No.

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?

I usually wipe down the walls every month and scoop up there waste with a strainer. I replace food and water every other day, or sooner if it gets really dirty.

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?

I used to, but I recently took them out.

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?

Yes, a second moss pit and a bubbler in the salt water dish.

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

I used to have another hermit crab but I know why he died and I fixed it. I want to figure out why Salty and Hawaii both died within two weeks apart.
Curly - Why did you determine that the first crab died?
It is unusual that a crab would be in a tank and not molt in a year. It makes me suspicious that the substrate is the problem. They need to be able to tunnel underneath and make a molting cave. The calcium sand may not have been appropriate. And it sounds like it is not deep enough. You will also need to get proper salt water for them. ANd you are aware that they need protein and calcium daily, so that will improve health.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Serendipity

Post by Serendipity » Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:36 am

My old hermit crab RipTide sadly passed away when I went on a trip. My dad usualy turns the heat and lights off and I forgot to tell him not to do that in my room. The temperature got to 56 degrees Fahrenheit. Somehow Salty survived it, but RipTide didn't. The substrate is mostly eco earth. I used to have calcium on one side and eco on the other, but then I found out calcium was bad, so I mixed them together, hoping the eco earth would take over. I am going to get more eco earth to increase the depth. I will also get instant ocean, and I usually get turbo shells. I had these other shells in my tank and I didn't know the type. Then I went to the beach got a turbo from the gift shop, put it in, and Salty the next day was wearing it. So I guess hermit crabs like turbos. Also, something I forgot to say, I know it is SO horrible what they do to the hermit crabs at gift shops, so I thought I would get one in hopes of saving it. That's where I got Hawaii. It was very sad there, there was a dead hermit crab with no shell on, MANY with missing legs, one didn't have any eyes. Hawaii was the shiniest, even shinier then the hermit crab I had at the time, so I thought she was the healthiest and got her. I don't know if maybe that's how she got pps if that's what it is, but I do feel like it was the substrate. I will improve on that.