keeps dropping shell in salt water

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
quinnn12

keeps dropping shell in salt water

Post by quinnn12 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:55 pm

Since you've come to the emergency forum, we know you want a fast answer to your question. In order for us to figure out the problem as quickly as possible, we ask that you answer the following questions as best you can. Some of them may seem odd, but they're all designed to give us the information we need to give you a good solution for your problem. The things in the [ brackets ] are there to make this post easier to read once submitted. Thanks!

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
play sand and coco fiber mix- like six inches at the lowest point

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?

yes, temp is always between 70 and 80, humidity is usually at least 70 but right now has been a bit above 60 because the weather is changing and i cant get it back up at the moment
3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
yes, two large uth's on the side of the tank

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
both fresh and salt, i have to use distilled because the water at my apartment is so disgusting that i use jugs of drinking water for me and my cats, so i dont trust it even with treatment. salt i use instant ocean- the ratio on the bag

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
i have a large variety of different organic foods and its replaced every couple of days

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?

i have had this one for about 6-9 months, hes really small, and hes a purple pincher
7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?

i dont think so, but a couple months ago he was under for a couple of weeks so he could have then. i never noticed a drastic color change
8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
40-50 gal terrarium, mesh lid but it has saran wrap over most of it for humidity

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
four- three smalls and a tiny

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?

like 25-30
11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
the only thing that has been near it is diatomaceous earth

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
i keep it surface cleaned but deep clean it about every six months. i JUST deep cleaned it a couple weeks ago. i bake the sand and boil their decor and wipe down the tank with hot water and then dry it

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
no

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
a couple of fake plants

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?
i found ants a couple weeks ago and immediately took them out, deep cleaned the tank, and gave them baths in salt water. then i moved them to a different room and put diatomaceous earth around the tank

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.

my tiny dropped his shell a few days ago in the salt water bowl and then went and hid. i found him, put him in a cup with some water, his shell, and two other shells about his size. he got back in the old shell and seemed normal. then this morning his old shell was in the salt water bowl again and he was half buried. i did the cup thing again but am at work and only have a blurry camera to watch him. i THINK he got in one of the new shells, as i didnt put his old shell in there this time, but i cant tell for sure.

either way, i was posting because i feel like im missing something. i was wondering if maybe he was dropping his shell in the salt bowl because theres a bug in there and his instincts tell him salt water will help? i dont know. the shell fit him perfectly and i dont see it falling off like that even if it was a bit too big. all the other crabs are buried right now so i cant base his behavior off of theirs and im worried hes sick or something because the crab i got at the same time as him did this too, except she dropped her shell and then ket going and sitting in the water bowl without it. she refused to get in a shell at all no matter what and eventually died. he is doing better than she was but im afraid he will die too.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: keeps dropping shell in salt water

Post by wodesorel » Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:38 am

Shells left behind in the water bowls tend to be due to getting stuck inside the bowl. Shells are heavy, and unless there are easy ways in and out, they will leave them behind if they feel they would otherwise be stuck underwater and drown. It's a lot easier to climb when naked and light.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
quinnn12

Post by quinnn12 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:26 pm

I was worried it may be him having trouble getting out but he has easily climbed in and out before. and now its gotten to where he refuses to stay in a shell. i have to physically put him in one at least two or three times a day and ive tried several different ones, including his original one. I dont know whats wrong with him or how to figure it out

myllkti

Post by myllkti » Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:40 pm

Are the shells you’ve tried similar? If so, maybe he prefers another thickness or opening shape? Or since this was recent, perhaps it’s connected to the temp drop? I’m not too sure but I hope this helps at all :)
Mere, Elie, and Syd!

Join the Hermit Crab Haven discord!: https://discord.gg/3SnvTczt7p