Hermit crab always hiding

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
HermitCrabmomma616

Hermit crab always hiding

Post by HermitCrabmomma616 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:38 pm

Since you've come to the emergency forum, we know you want a fast answer to your question. In order for us to figure out the problem as quickly as possible, we ask that you answer the following questions as best you can. Some of them may seem odd, but they're all designed to give us the information we need to give you a good solution for your problem. The things in the [ brackets ] are there to make this post easier to read once submitted. Thanks!

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
Just eco earth and about 7 inches (yes I know it’s not deep enough I’m sorry)

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
Yes and in front of the tank the temp is unfortunately 70-75 degrees (I have 3 heat pads one of them covering the whole back of the tank!) and humidity 80-85%

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
Yes 3 heat pads on the sides and back of the tank

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
Fresh and salt dechlorinated with prime and mixed with instant ocean 1/4 c per gallon (I think)

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
My own mix (dried insects,veggies,fruits,seeds,flowers) and this Etsy made stuff it’s called “tuna casserole”

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
About a month and purple pincher

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
Not yet

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing? 10 Gallon (all I can have right now) and a screen lid with plastic wrap on some of it

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
1 large/jumbo crab and a bunch of springtails and some blue powder isopods

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently? I did put a wax warmer about 3 feet near the tank but it’s on the floor

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
I change the waters and food every few days but for the rest of the tank it’s not really needed.

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
No

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
Just one shell

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?
I took him out ONCE for like 3 minutes cause he wasn’t enjoying it

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.
He used to be so active and constantly moving stuff around etc well now he’s always in his hide just sitting there not in his shell just out of his shell sitting there and he’s clearly alive his antenna move I will say he’s too big for his shell like his legs stick out that’s how big he is but I’ve tried everything to coax him out and into a new one anyways I always switch up the food and stuff I will also say mold grows on the food fast so maybe he’s not feeling well cause of the mold? I’m lost and I don’t think he’s about to molt cause he only is supposed to molt maybe once every 18 months but who knows

2 golf ball sized pps 1 GSD koda 1 huge oranda goldfish buttercup 1 small fantail goldfish 2 bettas

Topic author
HermitCrabmomma616

Re: Hermit crab always hiding

Post by HermitCrabmomma616 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:43 pm

Did not mean to post this 4 times I think lol
2 golf ball sized pps 1 GSD koda 1 huge oranda goldfish buttercup 1 small fantail goldfish 2 bettas

Topic author
HermitCrabmomma616

Post by HermitCrabmomma616 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:43 pm

Also when I said out of his shell I meant still inside his shell just not all the way in

BugsSnow&Milly

Post by BugsSnow&Milly » Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:31 am

Hi! Sounds like your crabitat is set up nicely. Do you have a hygrometer/thermostat? Do you know if your hermie is resting by a heat pad? My hermies used to hang out outside of their shells near a heat pad because of hot spots within the tank. The easier way I fixed this was putting them near a house heater that was thermostat controlled and gauged it via the thermometer.

Second, food should never be kept in the tank moldy. However, it sounds like you’re aware of this! I encourage changing fruits and vegetables every two days and meat every day. Also, their water should be changed once a week as not to sit stagnant for too long. The waters should also be deep enough to submerge and resubmerge.

Also, your crab should have 5-6 minimum bigger shells to choose from in order to properly fit.

I’ll be interested to hear what a higher up has to say about this! Take care, and know that most hermit crabs go through isolation periods where they’re adjusting to the climate and need an influx of protein, water, and space. I also encourage to never touch your hermies unless necessary. Good luck! :)
Kind regards,
Bugs, Snow, Milly, & Mom ❤️

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:50 am

He might be a little chilly, he might be affected by wintertime day length. Just because jumbo crabs can put off molting that long doesn't mean they will every time, they can molt every few months if they feel the need.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

JTKermie

Post by JTKermie » Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:17 am

Does the tank see a natural light cycle or do you use a light with a timer?

Just curious why you haven't mixed sand with the eco earth. You should so your crab can dig, tunnel and burrow more effectively.

I'd fold a towel or the likes and drape it over the top and back of the tank to see if that helps get the heat closer to 80F. That many heat pads on a small tank should be able to heat it no problem unless they're little 5 watt pads..

Other than that, you say he's a jumbo crab and you've had him a month. Where did he come from? It's possible he's wasn't in the best of health by the time you got him.
Two 29gals. 3 PPs in each.
~200gal of fish tanks. Mostly planted community tanks.
Multiple kiddos, doggies and kitties.

Topic author
HermitCrabmomma616

Post by HermitCrabmomma616 » Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:31 pm

I’ll try and answer everyone’s questions lol I have a hydrometer and a thermostat and no they sit away from the heat pad in the middle of the tank and I’ll definitely get more shells. And both, he gets sun and a led light and I haven’t mixed sand in because I have spring tails and isopods and I don’t know if they can live in sand. And I got him from petco. I hope I answered all questions! By the way he’s kind of buried he’s only buried a couple centimeters and I can see his shell. He has way more room to dig down.

Topic author
HermitCrabmomma616

Post by HermitCrabmomma616 » Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:32 pm

I meant he Not they

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:57 pm

JTKermie wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:17 am
*snip* Just curious why you haven't mixed sand with the eco earth. You should so your crab can dig, tunnel and burrow more effectively. *snip*
I've seen this school of thought pop up over the years in the crabbing circles, and emphasise that not mixing substrate doesn't lead to the inability to dig, tunnel and burrow effectively. Straight sand or EE still allows crabs to dig (and subsequently moult,l effectively. While many crabbers do like to mix, the only real benefit to mixing is that generally it helps a lot with moisture retention and provide the best of both substrate types. However, I have noticed in the past, some crabs do have preferences, so it does give them the option to choose if needed.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

JTKermie

Post by JTKermie » Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:39 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:57 pm
I've seen this school of thought pop up over the years in the crabbing circles, and emphasise that not mixing substrate doesn't lead to the inability to dig, tunnel and burrow effectively. Straight sand or EE still allows crabs to dig (and subsequently moult,l effectively. While many crabbers do like to mix, the only real benefit to mixing is that generally it helps a lot with moisture retention and provide the best of both substrate types. However, I have noticed in the past, some crabs do have preferences, so it does give them the option to choose if needed.
Do you use or recommend using straight eco earth?

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:49 pm

JTKermie wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:39 pm
Do you use or recommend using straight eco earth?
Straight eco earth is fine, straight sand is fine.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:54 pm

BugsSnow&Milly wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:31 am
Hi! Sounds like your crabitat is set up nicely. Do you have a hygrometer/thermostat? Do you know if your hermie is resting by a heat pad? My hermies used to hang out outside of their shells near a heat pad because of hot spots within the tank. The easier way I fixed this was putting them near a house heater that was thermostat controlled and gauged it via the thermometer.

Second, food should never be kept in the tank moldy. However, it sounds like you’re aware of this! I encourage changing fruits and vegetables every two days and meat every day. Also, their water should be changed once a week as not to sit stagnant for too long. The waters should also be deep enough to submerge and resubmerge.

Also, your crab should have 5-6 minimum bigger shells to choose from in order to properly fit.

I’ll be interested to hear what a higher up has to say about this! Take care, and know that most hermit crabs go through isolation periods where they’re adjusting to the climate and need an influx of protein, water, and space. I also encourage to never touch your hermies unless necessary. Good luck! :)
HCA recommends 3 to 5 extra shells, but many people do like to have more.
Moldy food isn't harmful to crabs. I am lazy, and often have moldy food in there LOL. Even dry food will get moldy, especially if I am away for any length of time; in pre-covid times, I would go away for a week or so, three or four times a year. Food was always moldy when I got back.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

JTKermie

Post by JTKermie » Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:10 pm

curlysister wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:49 pm
Straight eco earth is fine, straight sand is fine.
I'm not trying to be a pain or belabor this. I'm trying to learn. I get that it's fine and better than nothing, but is it what you want to do? Do the experts in this field do this? Is it ideal to gear your setup around all EE or all sand? My thinking is a hermit crab in the wild isn't going to have access to 100% coco fiber or something that resembles 100% play sand. I'd think it's going to be a mix of everything/anything and it's going to vary.

I don't know of a "care sheet" out there that will steer you towards using anything other than a mix of play sand and EE, usually in a 5:1 ratio.

Like I probably mentioned in other threads. I'm old. 40yrs ago the pet stores told you to keep them on a thin layer of aquarium gravel and that's what I did then. You could imagine it didn't end well and happened quickly.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:18 am

Our caresheets have always plainly stated that all EE, all playsand, and any mix of the two is absolutely safe for hermits. It is entirely personal preference as to what to use. I've used all of the above before, but settled on straight playsand for the last decade.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:26 am

Bear in mind that these animals regularly spend days, weeks, months (eventually years) underground "doing nothing." They are also nocturnal, so it is possible that he is more active when you are not watching (to find out, smooth out the substrate before going to bed at night, then look for his tracks in the morning to see where all he may have visited).

Lack of activity MAY mean he is getting ready to molt, although usually in my experience that is preceded by digging down; if he does need to molt but is not digging, there may be a problem with the substrate (consistency, moistness, etc.), or the crab may be too weak to dig for some reason.

Lack of activity may mean he is chilly. Ideal temp and humidity for PP's is 75-85 degees Fahrenheit, 75-85% relative humidity. It is a good idea to have several gauges to measure these essential parameters, in various locations in the tank, as even a small tank can have surprising variations. Remember, too, that hot air rises, so a temp gauge near the top of your tank is going to read warmer than one down near the substrate, where the crab spends their time.

Lack of activity may mean there isn't much to do. Do you have climbing structures, and do you provide resources (like food, shells, cuttlebone, water sources) in different areas of the tank and at different heights? I like to put new food offerings in different places each time so the crabs have to "hunt," as they would in the wild, to find food. I put them up on top of climbing structures, under and around things, and change the locations. I have shells up in a "shell shop" (so they don't just get buried all the time) and always have a cuttlebone up there, also (so they will eat that instead of the shells).

Hiding all the time may mean there isn't enough "cover" in your tank. Crabs know that being exposed is a danger; if you don't have climbing structures, foliage (natural or artificial), etc., he may just feel too exposed to be out and about. Remember that to the crab, you are like a giant T-Rex staring at him; would YOU want to just bustle about in the open with a huge predator right there staring at you? :shock:

When crabs are put into a new environment, the first thing they will do (if they are even relatively healthy) is explore--they are driven to try to find what they need to survive: cover, food, water sources, etc. Once they have done this, if there's nothing new and they can't escape, what else is there to do? Again, they are nocturnal, and invertebrates. They can absolutely sit there doing nothing for days on end, and will do so, if there isn't a good reason to move, or if there is a good reason (in their opinion) NOT to.
--{}: Dragons Fly Farm --{}:
Resident PP's:"Major Tom" & "Billie Jean"

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.”
― G.K. Chesterton