Crab molting in water dish?!?

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
KingsleyAndLudo

Crab molting in water dish?!?

Post by KingsleyAndLudo » Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:59 pm

Since you've come to the emergency forum, we know you want a fast answer to your question. In order for us to figure out the problem as quickly as possible, we ask that you answer the following questions as best you can. Some of them may seem odd, but they're all designed to give us the information we need to give you a good solution for your problem. The things in the [ brackets ] are there to make this post easier to read once submitted. Thanks!

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
Play sand- 2-3in

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
Just a hygrometer so far, only got them a week ago. House temp is usually around 75, humidity is about 68%. I know this is WAY too low, but I read that it helps with PPDS if you start with what the humidity was where you bought them, and slowly raise it over a couple weeks.

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?

No heat source
4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
Fresh and salt- use topfin conditioner

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?

Homemade mixes- dried bloodworms, dried krill, raisins, apples, eggshells, Almond slivers, etc. change out food bowl every two days, with a different food mix.
6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
Unknown species, had them for about a week and a half

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
No molts yet

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
Ten gallon acrylic tank, screen lid and half acrylic lid

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
Three small

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?

Nine available, two crabs have already switched shells

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
No

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
I wash water dishes and food dishes every week, sift debris out of sand every week

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
Yes, one in each. Washed in hot dechlorinated water every week.

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
No, pretty bare with only a few river rocks (baked) and some plastic plants

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

I AM A FIRST TIME CRAB OWNER!!! I got these guys a week and a half ago, and they had a 9 hr car ride in a small critter keeper home. We originally got 4 crabs, but one already passed. I’m following the guide on the hermit crab patch to try and Prevent PPDS. They said to use low substrate so the crabs would be encouraged to eat and be active instead of burrowing. They also said to start humidity at what the store had them as and slowly increase over a couple months.

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.

So, brand new crab owner please be patient. We bought four crabs and had them in two ten gallon tanks both set up as described above. One passed (definitely not a molt, she smelled awful and didn’t show any signs of movement) so I moved the survivor to the other tank for company. One of my crabs has been showing signs of premolt (turning whiter color, eating a TON and hanging in the water dishes pretty much all day), but just recently stopped being active and sat in the water bowl. I got worried, so I moved him back to the substrate and put a clear plastic cup over him because I think he’s starting to molt. But now I’m worried that I should have left him in the water dish… I know chance of death during first molt is high, is there anything I can do to help? So far all three crabs have been active and seemingly happy. Two (not the one currently molting) have switched shells which I think is a good sign. Is he going to be ok? Should I move him back to the water bowl?

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Crab molting in water dish?!?

Post by wodesorel » Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:33 am

They won't be able to safely molt in the water bowl, so moving him to safety was the right call. I'm more concerned that it's not a molt - if they have post purchase syndrome and are close to dying they'll often want to sit in water at the end. These deaths are unavoidable and are caused by injury sustained before they were ever purchased. Leaving him be and waiting to see what the outcome will be is all that can be done. If he seems active at all, make sure he's getting lots of rich food in an effort to boost his energy levels.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:54 am

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
Play sand- 2-3in
Curly - You want your substrate to be at least 2-3 times as deep as your largest crab. Be sure that it is moistened with dechlorinated water so that it is 'sand castle' consistency (so it holds it's shape, but not so wet that water pools in the bottom.

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
Just a hygrometer so far, only got them a week ago. House temp is usually around 75, humidity is about 68%. I know this is WAY too low, but I read that it helps with PPDS if you start with what the humidity was where you bought them, and slowly raise it over a couple weeks.
Curly - HCA does not recommend this method - it has not been shown to increase survival rates, and it is better to get the crabs into ideal conditions asap. Crabs have modified gills, and need high humidity in order to breathe. You are going to need to increase your humidity asap.

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?

No heat source
Curly - You are likely going to want to get a UTH - under tank heater - but mount it on the back of the tank.

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
Fresh and salt- use topfin conditioner
Curly - Have a look at the 'water' care sheet, it explains everything you need to know about water. You will want to use a marine salt, such as instant ocean. And a dechlorinator such as Seachem Prime.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?

Homemade mixes- dried bloodworms, dried krill, raisins, apples, eggshells, Almond slivers, etc. change out food bowl every two days, with a different food mix.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
Unknown species, had them for about a week and a half

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
No molts yet

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
Ten gallon acrylic tank, screen lid and half acrylic lid
Curly - You can cover more or the screen, in order to hold humidity inside better - plastic wrap works well.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
Three small

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?

Nine available, two crabs have already switched shells

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
No

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
I wash water dishes and food dishes every week, sift debris out of sand every week

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
Yes, one in each. Washed in hot dechlorinated water every week.
Curly - Sponges are not needed, and they harbor bacteria even if you wash them. You can put them in dry for the crabs to munch on, but you don't want them in the water dishes. Be sure that the crabs have a way to climb out of the dishes, many people use craft mesh, stones, or plastic ladders.

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
No, pretty bare with only a few river rocks (baked) and some plastic plants

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

I AM A FIRST TIME CRAB OWNER!!! I got these guys a week and a half ago, and they had a 9 hr car ride in a small critter keeper home. We originally got 4 crabs, but one already passed. I’m following the guide on the hermit crab patch to try and Prevent PPDS. They said to use low substrate so the crabs would be encouraged to eat and be active instead of burrowing. They also said to start humidity at what the store had them as and slowly increase over a couple months.
Curly - HCA doesn't follow that method. It has not been shown to improve survival rates, and it is actually based on theories that do not apply to crabs. If a crab needs to molt, lack of substrate will not stop it, and a surface molt will leave it in danger of being killed by other crabs.

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.

So, brand new crab owner please be patient. We bought four crabs and had them in two ten gallon tanks both set up as described above. One passed (definitely not a molt, she smelled awful and didn’t show any signs of movement) so I moved the survivor to the other tank for company. One of my crabs has been showing signs of premolt (turning whiter color, eating a TON and hanging in the water dishes pretty much all day), but just recently stopped being active and sat in the water bowl. I got worried, so I moved him back to the substrate and put a clear plastic cup over him because I think he’s starting to molt. But now I’m worried that I should have left him in the water dish… I know chance of death during first molt is high, is there anything I can do to help? So far all three crabs have been active and seemingly happy. Two (not the one currently molting) have switched shells which I think is a good sign. Is he going to be ok? Should I move him back to the water bowl?
Curly - I would work on getting the tank conditions ideal asap, in order to give them the best chance at survival. Like Wode said, leaving him alone at this point and seeing what happens is all you can do for him.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Hermitlover4212

Post by Hermitlover4212 » Sun May 08, 2022 3:51 pm

Do you have an update on the crab that you thought could be molting? You definitely made the right call moving him to the sand if he was molting as their body can’t handle the extra moisture during that time and they could also drown. Moving them to the sand and placing a container over them to create darkness and isolate them would be the best thing to do if it is in fact a surface molt. Do not disturb them until they are ready and you can see or hear them walking around likely wishing 4 or more weeks depending on their size or until you smell a rotten seafood very fishy Odor meaning death. The above two posts both have very good info regarding your last two crabs and if the third one survives, you’re gonna want a full glass or plastic lid ASAP or at least cover the screen part with Saran Wrap/plastic wrap to up the humidity that could be a huge cause and it’s best to get them to the right temp and humidity ASAP rather than do it slowly. Buy a digital thermometer/hygrometer to check them, a ur item has good ones. Next up your substrate to at least six inches or 2-3x the size of your largest crab, they do not just bury themselves to molt, they bury themselves to de-stress, to cool down, protect themselves, and adjust to their new home among other reasons. Most of my newly brought home crabs dog under right away and either molt or just distress from their living conditions before and their trip to get to me. Yes you might have “pet sand” for a while but better to have happy healthy buried hermits than to have stressed sickly ones you can see. They will come up when they’re ready or hungry. Seachem prime is best for their fresh water and instant ocean for their saltwater although others can be used. Sponges harbor bacteria so you’ll want to take them out, they were helping with your humidity but not enough to outweigh the risk they pose, better to get bubblers for your pools it keeps the water moving and ups the humidity greatly (plus some crabs love the bubbles). Saw this was a month ago so I hope your crabby survived and is doing well.