crab trying to change shells??

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
trinr25

crab trying to change shells??

Post by trinr25 » Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:48 am

Since you've come to the emergency forum, we know you want a fast answer to your question. In order for us to figure out the problem as quickly as possible, we ask that you answer the following questions as best you can. Some of them may seem odd, but they're all designed to give us the information we need to give you a good solution for your problem. The things in the [ brackets ] are there to make this post easier to read once submitted. Thanks!

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
playsand/coco fiber 50/50 mix

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
top right corner, in the day time it’s about 78/75 and then at night it’s about 76/100

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
yes, a heat lamp and heat pad on the back of the tank.

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
(zoomed) (reptisafe, what i use to make their freshwater)
(zoomed (hermit crab salt water conditioner)

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
(zoomed) (hermit crab food, and fruit salad) every week or two, they eat very slow.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
i honestly don’t even know which crab it is, because they’ve both been under the sand for almost 2 months.

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
it was under for 2 months and then it changed shells. later the same day it changed back, i work up at 4am to go to the restroom and i noticed it was naked but i think it was just trying to choose a shell.

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
10 gallon tank, with a mesh lid. 3/4 of the lid is covered with packing tape.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
there’s 2, they aren’t tiny but fairly small.

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?
usually 4-5, i put all my shells in there so it could choose easier.

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
no.

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
i was told not to clean it as much as i used to (on here) so i usually just clean out the water bowls/replace water every 1-3 weeks.

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
no

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
no

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?
no

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.
my crab is naked, i think it’s just trying to choose a shell but it’s making me so anxious. earlier i thought it was dead but it just moved when i walked into my room.

CrabbyLover77

Re: crab trying to change shells??

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:15 pm

I'll put my suggestions under your answers. Hope this helps!
trinr25 wrote:Since you've come to the emergency forum, we know you want a fast answer to your question. In order for us to figure out the problem as quickly as possible, we ask that you answer the following questions as best you can. Some of them may seem odd, but they're all designed to give us the information we need to give you a good solution for your problem. The things in the [ brackets ] are there to make this post easier to read once submitted. Thanks!

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
playsand/coco fiber 50/50 mix

CL77-How deep is it? It should be 3x the height of your largest crab. It should also be moistened to sandcastle consistency using dechlor fresh or salt water.

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
top right corner, in the day time it’s about 78/75 and then at night it’s about 76/100

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
yes, a heat lamp and heat pad on the back of the tank.

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
(zoomed) (reptisafe, what i use to make their freshwater)
(zoomed (hermit crab salt water conditioner)

CL77-That salt water conditioner is not the right type of salt for hermits. You'll want to get a marine salt, and mix it in your dechlor water according to the directions on the box/bag. Instant Ocean is a popular marine salt. Reptisafe will work to dechlorinate, but doesn't remove heavy metals. You could look into getting Seachem Prime (you don't have to, just a suggestion). That also removes heavy metals in addition to getting rid of chlorine/chloramine.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
(zoomed) (hermit crab food, and fruit salad) every week or two, they eat very slow.

CL77-Variety is key. Hermits can eat many of the things we eat. Hermit pellets aren't great long term. The fruit salad is fine though. Check out the safe food list for ideas. You'll want to make sure you're offering lots of protein and calcium daily.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
i honestly don’t even know which crab it is, because they’ve both been under the sand for almost 2 months.

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
it was under for 2 months and then it changed shells. later the same day it changed back, i work up at 4am to go to the restroom and i noticed it was naked but i think it was just trying to choose a shell.

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
10 gallon tank, with a mesh lid. 3/4 of the lid is covered with packing tape.

CL77-You'll want to choose something non porous to cover the mesh. Saran wrap is great at helping keep in humidity. You can wrap the mesh over the entire lid, but avoid the area with the heat lamp.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
there’s 2, they aren’t tiny but fairly small.

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?
usually 4-5, i put all my shells in there so it could choose easier.

CL77-The HCA recommends having 3-5 shells per crab. Also be sure you are offering the correct type of shells. Purple pinchers prefer shells with round openings, like turbos. Check out the shell care sheet for more info.

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
no.

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
i was told not to clean it as much as i used to (on here) so i usually just clean out the water bowls/replace water every 1-3 weeks.

CL77-I change my water weekly, but I think going 3 weeks is too long (especially if the crabs are frequenting the water dishes).

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
no

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
no

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?
no

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.
my crab is naked, i think it’s just trying to choose a shell but it’s making me so anxious. earlier i thought it was dead but it just moved when i walked into my room.

CL77-Crabs leave their shells when they are too week to carry them. Follow this guide to re-shell him asap:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=122302

You'll want to implement the suggestions I made above too. Offering a variety of foods, including daily protein and calcium, is important.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

CrabbyLover77

Re: crab trying to change shells??

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:19 pm

Shell Care Sheet

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=92552

Safe Food List:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=92557

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav