Missing limbs- possibly a surface molt! :(

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Serendipity

Missing limbs- possibly a surface molt! :(

Post by Serendipity » Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:55 pm

Since you've come to the emergency forum, we know you want a fast answer to your question. In order for us to figure out the problem as quickly as possible, we ask that you answer the following questions as best you can. Some of them may seem odd, but they're all designed to give us the information we need to give you a good solution for your problem. The things in the [ brackets ] are there to make this post easier to read once submitted. Thanks!

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
Eco earth and play sand, 6-7 inches.

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
Yes, in the middle front. Usually read 75% humidity and 75 degrees Fahrenheit.

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
Yes, a heat mat on the back of the tank.

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
Fresh and salt water in two good sized Tupperware's with a bridge going into each. I use prime and put 2 drops in a gallon of water and then fill them up from there.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
I feed them a lot of hermit grub mixes, veggies, fruits, dried bugs, dried shrimp, etc.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
I have had this crab for probably almost two years. She is a purple pincher.

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
She molted about a month ago. Maybe this situation has something to do with that? But she looked fine and happy when she came up?

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
They are in a 29 gallon glass aquarium tank. The lid is glass with a small crack near the front to keep the humidity and temp in control.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
3 pp's, one golf ball sized, the one with the problem (Mango) is slightly smaller, and then the other is even smaller.

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?
Probably 15.

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
No.

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
I clean the walls with water and apple cider vinegar about once a year for deep cleaning, but sometimes I scoop the top layer of substrate up to clean up poop every so often. I try to replace food and water every other day- though sometimes I wait until the water looks dirty.

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
No.

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
No.

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?
I haven't been watching as much as used to this past month, but I only noticed her in the corner today, and wanted to look closer and then I saw what had happened.

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.
I saw Mango in the front right corner of my tank, which is strange because it is kind of out in the open except for the salt water dish hiding it slightly. She is kind of wedged between the wall and the Tupperware. I looked all around and saw that she had enough space so she is not stuck. She is all the way in her shell and missing what looks to be four tan-ish colored legs. Under her shell behind her looks almost like a part of her torso which made me realize she is probably molting. I know she is alive because it doesn't smell and she is balancing upright with her legs tightly in her shell. I have considered myself to be a pretty good crab parent, but now I don't know what to do and I'm afraid I'm going to lose her too soon! Please help urgently, I am desperate!
My three purple pinchers: Coconut- Male, medium. Mango- Female, medium. Blueberry- Female, small.

I'm not lazy- I'm just highly motivated to do nothing. ;)

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Missing limbs- possibly a surface molt! :(

Post by curlysister » Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:11 pm

Your tank conditions look great. Sometimes it is hard to know why this happens.
I would isolate her from your other crabs immediately. You can use a margarine container (or something equivalent that has a lid you can poke a bunch of holes in) and put it in the main tank so she has good temp and humidity. Gently scoop her and her bits up, and put them in the iso container. Are you able to post a photo of her?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Serendipity

Post by Serendipity » Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:21 am

I'm have containers from the pet store that already have holes in the lid so I can put her in that, though should I just put it on top of her with it upside down or scoop her into it right side up? I can try to post a photo, though it's a little confusing but I will figure it out. It is the next day and she hasn't moved at all. It's a little worrisome but she is still tightly in her shell, and she doesn't seem to smell. For the photo, I may have to send it later today because I am really busy. Thank you so much for your help! I love Mango so much and I really hope she makes it.
My three purple pinchers: Coconut- Male, medium. Mango- Female, medium. Blueberry- Female, small.

Topic author
Serendipity

Post by Serendipity » Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:39 pm

Update: I think the reason she chose to do a surface molt is because the lid I had underneath the Tupperware water bowl was making it so she could not dig down. So I moved that out of the way and I hope she will start to dig now! She has actually molted really fast and now it looks like everything is gone! I'm hopeful!!!

Topic author
Serendipity

Post by Serendipity » Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:18 pm

Update: So I actually didn't isolate her in a container because I was worried that I would stress her out way too much, so I put up barriers on either side of the Tupperware she was behind. It seems to have worked very well, other than she escaped! Yeah, now I'm confused- I thought this girly was half dead but now she gained enough energy to escape her isolation corner, and climb to the highest part of the tank???!!! I think I'm the luckiest crabber in the world! She ate most of her exo but she still left a lot, so should I just leave it there? I think the other crabs might get to it.

A few hours later... I came back up and saw she climbed all the way back down and into her corner! This girl has got some serious energy after having just shed her whole body!!! When she saw that I had caught her eating her exo, she went back into her shell, a little afraid, so I left her alone for the rest of the day. I'm so confused, how is it possible for her to have done a full surface molt in just a week?! And after having molted a month ago? She was under for a whole month last time she molted and I saw her exo too, so I know that she was molting down there. My original thoughts were that maybe I mixed up Mango and Coconut, but I HIGHLY doubt it. I know Coconut is bigger than her and they have different shells. They could have switched shells, but even if that was the case, their coloring is slightly different too. But is it even possible for a crab to molt with only a month in between? And both molts being successful? Can someone tell me whats going on?!

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:13 pm

Yes, it's possible to molt again so soon, and for both to be successful. She won't dig down now, if she already shed her exo on the surface. My worry would be that the other crabs would not only want her exo, but that she smells 'freshly molted' and she is vulnerable to being harmed by the other crabs while she is still soft, before her new exo hardens.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Serendipity

Post by Serendipity » Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:31 am

So You think I should isolate her even though she is done molting? Or should I just keep a close eye on her and wait until I see any aggression or anything- then isolate her?

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:26 pm

Keeping in mind that crabs will often stay underground for weeks or months after molting, while their exo hardens and they eat the old one, yes I would isolate her for a bit just to be safe. Then I would dip her in the fresh water before letting her back out into gen pop, because she didn't dig back up thru the sand to remove the molting smell.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:39 pm

KapExpoka wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:17 pm
Have you considered isolating her temporarily to ensure her safety and dip her in fresh water before reintroducing her to the main tank after a surface molt?
The post you are replying to is over 2 months old.