non responsive at top of climbing wood

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Jaydick484

non responsive at top of climbing wood

Post by Jaydick484 » Thu Jun 13, 2024 5:20 pm

Since you've come to the emergency forum, we know you want a fast answer to your question. In order for us to figure out the problem as quickly as possible, we ask that you answer the following questions as best you can. Some of them may seem odd, but they're all designed to give us the information we need to give you a good solution for your problem. The things in the [ brackets ] are there to make this post easier to read once submitted. Thanks!

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
Sand and the Coco fiber. Left side dips down to only a couple inches near a couple low cave, but right side is about half high, maybe 5". The corners on the left around the cave are high as well.

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
Yes. I have two on each side of tank. Right side is closer to substrate than left. Left is higher. Temp/humid on left is 72F/70% , right is 72F/82%

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
Yes. 3 heating pads. 2 back are used, side just in case it's teetering on a cold day at 70F.

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
Fresh and salt. Zoo med for both. Added flukers salt soak to salt dish.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
I've tried the meal worms and pellets. They only seem to like the calcium powder with honey in it and fruit salad from zoo med. I just tried fresh food last night such as egg whites, broccoli, egg shells, carrots, almonds. They didnt go for it though. It's changed every morning.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?

Only a week, looks like PP, but orangey.
7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?

No, he never went under yet.
8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
Glass 10 gal with screened top and silicon mat over middle. Just venting the two sides about an inch each side.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?

3 smalls. As of today, 2 on top. One just came back up, one has been down since day 2
10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?

4 right now. I switch them out with another three, and there isn't much room to pile more in. I set up too many slopes. Once the underground crab comes up, I will put them all in a 20 gallon and make it flat.
11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
No

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?

I spray 3 times a week with deodorizer /probiotic so far. I wipe the glass above substrate, and clean all dishes in sink every time I change the food/water.
13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
Yes, I rinse them in a cup of conditioned water. Same with moss.

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
2 shells that I cleaned with salt water, and the food was all new last night. Previously, I had stuck to all the hermit marketed food products like pellets, calcium powder and fruit salad. The fresh food is all new.

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?
My crabbie is usually easily startled. We try to cater to him, since he's new here. We walk into the room slowly, but he still pops into his shell and tinks the glass with his shell as he falls. He will slowly come back out, and then stares at me. He doesn't move a lot in front of me. His friend buried and left him alone right away, then we got him another friend who did the same thing. He keeps being the straggler alone on top. He stares out the corners of the tank where they went down for what seems like hours. He has been climbing the past day, which he didn't do before. At least, I've never seen him up there before.

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.

I left for a long time today, and when I came back, I dropped a new frozen krill block into the dish. I saw the crab sitting on top of his climby wood. I went to break up the moss and relay it out, and when I put the top back on, I noticed he looked dead. I read the post about how he may not be, so I didn't panic. Much. I kept talking to him and seeing if I would startle him by slowly putting my hand towards him, blowing on him...nothing. he was curled at the top of the climby wood still. As I started filling this form out I heard the tank tink, and saw him back awake looking very alert. He is still alive after all.
My question now is, if he starts to molt up there, so I attempt to move him at all like isolate him? Or just leave him at the top? He looked like he would fall. I was about to to try to gently put him somewhere.

Topic author
Jaydick484

Re: non responsive at top of climbing wood

Post by Jaydick484 » Thu Jun 13, 2024 6:37 pm

I just caught him on top of the other crab, while the other crab was on its back. I wasn't sure if he was harming her, so I said something loudly to break it up. They both got up and walked into the cave together. I'm very stumped by his behavior. It's definitely the same crab. He has distinct markings and so does the other.

Altaccforhermitsssss

Post by Altaccforhermitsssss » Thu Jun 13, 2024 11:20 pm

Hermit crabs climp over lots of things, probably not relizing its another hermit crab, but as long as their is no chirping you should be good, also, if he starts to molt, do not move him but put a small container with holes over him so he can molt in peace, i would not be worried about the hermit crab falling, they know what they are doing and unless you scare him and he is high up enough to inflict injuries he should be fine, hermit crabs do climb and sit and stqy in the same olace for days sometimes, dont worry, but feel free to ask more questions aling the way

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Fri Jun 14, 2024 11:08 pm

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
Sand and the Coco fiber. Left side dips down to only a couple inches near a couple low cave, but right side is about half high, maybe 5". The corners on the left around the cave are high as well.
Curly - The sub should be at least 2-3 times as deep as your largest crab. If you do have a slope, the lowest point should be that height.

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
Yes. I have two on each side of tank. Right side is closer to substrate than left. Left is higher. Temp/humid on left is 72F/70% , right is 72F/82%
Curly - 72 is about the lowest you would want your tank to be at for any length of time. And 70% is the lowest you would want the humidity. Bumping both up a bit from there will give a bit of leeway for dips.

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
Yes. 3 heating pads. 2 back are used, side just in case it's teetering on a cold day at 70F.

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
Fresh and salt. Zoo med for both. Added flukers salt soak to salt dish.
Curly - Unfortunately, those brands won't provide all the minerals that crabs need for long term health. Check out the 'water' care sheet for full info. You will need a dechlorinator that removes heavy metals etc (SeaChem Prime is a commonly used brand), and a marine salt (Instant Ocean is a commonly used brand)

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
I've tried the meal worms and pellets. They only seem to like the calcium powder with honey in it and fruit salad from zoo med. I just tried fresh food last night such as egg whites, broccoli, egg shells, carrots, almonds. They didnt go for it though. It's changed every morning.
Curly - Crabs need a varied diet, including animal protein and calcium daily. Be sure to read the 'nutrition' care sheet for full info. I don't pay attention to what they eat or don't eat - I just offer a varied diet and they will take what they need. Meat, seafood, veggies, fruits, grains, nuts, seeds, eggs and their shells, leaves, flowers, etc. Offer both fresh and dried.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?

Only a week, looks like PP, but orangey.
7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?

No, he never went under yet.
8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
Glass 10 gal with screened top and silicon mat over middle. Just venting the two sides about an inch each side.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?

3 smalls. As of today, 2 on top. One just came back up, one has been down since day 2
10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?

4 right now. I switch them out with another three, and there isn't much room to pile more in. I set up too many slopes. Once the underground crab comes up, I will put them all in a 20 gallon and make it flat.
Curly - HCA recommends 3-5 extra shells per crab. Be sure to read the 'shells' care sheet to ensure you are offering the correct types for your crabs.

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
No

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?

I spray 3 times a week with deodorizer /probiotic so far. I wipe the glass above substrate, and clean all dishes in sink every time I change the food/water.
13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
Yes, I rinse them in a cup of conditioned water. Same with moss.
Curly - Sponges are not needed, and just harbor bacteria.

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
2 shells that I cleaned with salt water, and the food was all new last night. Previously, I had stuck to all the hermit marketed food products like pellets, calcium powder and fruit salad. The fresh food is all new.

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?
My crabbie is usually easily startled. We try to cater to him, since he's new here. We walk into the room slowly, but he still pops into his shell and tinks the glass with his shell as he falls. He will slowly come back out, and then stares at me. He doesn't move a lot in front of me. His friend buried and left him alone right away, then we got him another friend who did the same thing. He keeps being the straggler alone on top. He stares out the corners of the tank where they went down for what seems like hours. He has been climbing the past day, which he didn't do before. At least, I've never seen him up there before.

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.

I left for a long time today, and when I came back, I dropped a new frozen krill block into the dish. I saw the crab sitting on top of his climby wood. I went to break up the moss and relay it out, and when I put the top back on, I noticed he looked dead. I read the post about how he may not be, so I didn't panic. Much. I kept talking to him and seeing if I would startle him by slowly putting my hand towards him, blowing on him...nothing. he was curled at the top of the climby wood still. As I started filling this form out I heard the tank tink, and saw him back awake looking very alert. He is still alive after all.
My question now is, if he starts to molt up there, so I attempt to move him at all like isolate him? Or just leave him at the top? He looked like he would fall. I was about to to try to gently put him somewhere.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers