Introducing babies to 7 year old hermit crab

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
jcochran

Introducing babies to 7 year old hermit crab

Post by jcochran » Thu Jul 11, 2024 6:26 pm

Since you've come to the emergency forum, we know you want a fast answer to your question. In order for us to figure out the problem as quickly as possible, we ask that you answer the following questions as best you can. Some of them may seem odd, but they're all designed to give us the information we need to give you a good solution for your problem. The things in the [ brackets ] are there to make this post easier to read once submitted. Thanks!

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
PPS tank currently

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
Yes, all good

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
Yes, heat pad on back

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
both, yes

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
green sand, dried worms, worm poop

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
All new

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
Adopted 7 year old recently molted, others are babies

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
PPS is 25 gallon tank with sealed lid

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
I haven't put them all together yet

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
No

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
Just refreshed water pools today - all new

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
No

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
No

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.
Yesterday I bought 3 baby crabs from Petsmart and today adopted a 7 year old purple pincher. Once I established the 7 yr old in the PPS 25 gallon, I added the 3 babies from their 5.5 gallon PPS tank. The 7 yr old noticed one and rushed to it, then seemed to try to grab the baby - I intervened not knowing what he would do. I put the babies back into their small PPS tank. All knowledge and suggestions welcome!

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Introducing babies to 7 year old hermit crab

Post by curlysister » Thu Jul 11, 2024 11:22 pm

PPS tank currently
Curly - Do you have sub in your PPS tank?

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
Yes, all good
Curly - Readings?

Yes, heat pad on back

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
both, yes
Curly - What brands of dechlorinator and salt are used?

Curly - Crabs need a varied diet that includes protien, fruits, veggies, nuts, eggs, seeds, greens, meat, etc. Be sure to read the 'nutrition' care sheet for full info.

All new

Curly - Was the 7yr old in good conditions where you adopted it from?

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?

Curly - HCA recommends 3 to 5 extra shells per crab.

No

No

No

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

Yesterday I bought 3 baby crabs from Petsmart and today adopted a 7 year old purple pincher. Once I established the 7 yr old in the PPS 25 gallon, I added the 3 babies from their 5.5 gallon PPS tank. The 7 yr old noticed one and rushed to it, then seemed to try to grab the baby - I intervened not knowing what he would do. I put the babies back into their small PPS tank. All knowledge and suggestions welcome!
Curly - If the 7yr old was in good conditions, you should for sure not put it into a PPS tank that has less than ideal conditions. That includes heat, humidity, and deep sub. There is really no need to put the others in a PPS tank either. Give everyone a quick dip in the fresh water when you put them all in the same tank - that way, they all smell the same. Then keep an eye on them when they meet. I introduced two tiny crabs in with my 13 year old jumbo this way, with no issues whatsoever.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
jcochran

Post by jcochran » Fri Jul 12, 2024 8:44 am

Ok will do thank you!

Topic author
jcochran

Post by jcochran » Fri Jul 12, 2024 9:16 am

PPS tank currently
Curly - Do you have sub in your PPS tank?
Yes

Yes, all good
Curly - Readings? 80s

Yes, heat pad on back

both, yes
Curly - What brands of dechlorinator and salt are used? Prime and instant ocean

Curly - Crabs need a varied diet that includes protien, fruits, veggies, nuts, eggs, seeds, greens, meat, etc. Be sure to read the 'nutrition' care sheet for full info.
Will do!

All new

Curly - Was the 7yr old in good conditions where you adopted it from?
Yes, but he lived on thin substrate with no heater and sprits of water

Curly - HCA recommends 3 to 5 extra shells per crab.
Will do!

No

No

No

Curly - If the 7yr old was in good conditions, you should for sure not put it into a PPS tank that has less than ideal conditions. That includes heat, humidity, and deep sub. There is really no need to put the others in a PPS tank either. Give everyone a quick dip in the fresh water when you put them all in the same tank - that way, they all smell the same. Then keep an eye on them when they meet. I introduced two tiny crabs in with my 13 year old jumbo this way, with no issues whatsoever.

It's hard to see them well in my 40 gallon with several places to hide and climbing vines. I will do my best to keep an eye out. I don't want the babies killed. I dunked them all in fresh water and placed him on the opposite end than the babies for now. This is stressful!

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Mon Jul 15, 2024 11:30 pm

Yes, I was stressed too when I did it! I used a flashlight to keep checking on them, and then even my phone to take pictures when they were in the hides together so I could see what they were doing in there LOL! My two newbies were so tiny compared to my old guy - they could literally hide themselves shell and all, inside one of Sonny's huge shells. But the good thing is that they don't compete for the same shells. And if you offer lots of protein, the big one will be less likely to think of the small ones as food.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers