tension? fighting? need help ASAP

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
hermitcrab24

Post by hermitcrab24 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:47 am

Hey,
So my two hermit crabs big bill and little bill are best friends, or were. This morning I saw little bill push big bill over, and big bill's shell is heavy and it was hard to get up. Then Big Bill was on top of Little Bill, and I got worried. I picked up their log hide causing big bill to fall off little bill, I quickly grabbed little bill and moved him, I replaced the log. little bill got up and is now near him again, they have been pushing each other around all morning, should I be worried? I wont be here today to watch them, should I separate them or leave them be?

P.S When I got Big Bill he went back and forth between his old shell and his current shell. Little Bill has recently moved into his old one, could that be the cause of tension?

Thanks,
Bonnie

YYWW

Re: tension? fighting? need help ASAP

Post by YYWW » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:45 am

I love watching my crabs play sumo. I feel they don't do it enough! Unless one is running or retracted while the other pulls em out, or a pincher has hold of a limb trying to break it off, you can write this behavior off to the natural urges of a wild animal.
Are they actually big and little, or are they the same size? Same size crabs could fight over new homes, which is why 3-5 suitable shells per crab is the recommendation.

Crabbers unite!!!

hermieluv1

Post by hermieluv1 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:03 pm

I have never seen that kind of pushing lead to anything dangerous. The 2 very dangerous episodes I saw started violent and stayed that way, like they hated each other from the start! The first episode (same crab, actually), he literally ripped the other crab out of his shell and stole it; then the other day after bringing home new guys, that same crab was trying it on another again! He succeeded in murdering the first one, but I nailed him on this second one, and put him a tank with 2 very large E's, who proceeded to kick his knarly butt, and he istantly calmed down! Serves him right.

Anyway, others push and shove; I just separate them for a minute, or dunk them both in the FW and they forget all about it.

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:45 pm

hermieluv1 wrote:I have never seen that kind of pushing lead to anything dangerous. The 2 very dangerous episodes I saw started violent and stayed that way, like they hated each other from the start! The first episode (same crab, actually), he literally ripped the other crab out of his shell and stole it; then the other day after bringing home new guys, that same crab was trying it on another again! He succeeded in murdering the first one, but I nailed him on this second one, and put him a tank with 2 very large E's, who proceeded to kick his knarly butt, and he istantly calmed down! Serves him right.

Anyway, others push and shove; I just separate them for a minute, or dunk them both in the FW and they forget all about it.
AHAH! "Be a good boy, or you're getting time out with some E's!"

Crabbers unite!!!

Topic author
hermitcrab24

Post by hermitcrab24 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:10 pm

YYWW wrote:Are they actually big and little, or are they the same size?

Crabbers unite!!!
Big bill is a small crab, and little bill is a teeny I believe.

Right after I posted this they buried about an inch and a half away from each other, they will probably be up tomorrow morning, I'll keep an eye on them.

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:25 pm

They could just be friends you know, friends like to shove each other around..

Crabbers unite!!!

Topic author
hermitcrab24

Post by hermitcrab24 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:32 pm

Maybe, they have been super close friends since I got them, just never seen this side of their friendship I guess

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:26 am

Just pretend they're wrestling
I think early on I had read on hermit-crab.com that crabs would shove each other. Ever since then i had been very excited to see that. They've only shown it once. I consider you lucky! Maybe get a vid next time.

Crabbers unite!!!

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:55 am

Yep. Shoving, flicking, antennae "fights", standing over each other (without trying to pull a crab out of it's shell), claw/leg waving/lifting are all pretty normal, harmless dominance displays. Keep an eye on things but the only time you should have to worry is if a crab is obviously trying to steal the others shell or if there's any pinching that causes injury. If it gets out of hand a quick dunk in the freshwater pool should help.

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:59 am

I have an E and a PP who always likes the same perches. They're ALWAYS in each others' face. The E looks like he's trying to beat the PP down with his feelers. The PP just looks like he hates him, holding still and standing his ground. It's like I can see their conflict, unable to speak each others' language. Then it all ends with a mighty shove from the PP, and the E goes sideways on the perch to pass by and find the next space. So amusing!!!!

Crabbers unite!!!

ETA: they were doing just that in my avatar shot!

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:04 am

YYWW wrote: The PP just looks like he hates him
Ooh, I love it when they look angry. :lol: I'm sure it's mostly in my head but it cracks me up. :D

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:06 am

CallaLily wrote: Ooh, I love it when they look angry. :lol: I'm sure it's mostly in my head but it cracks me up. :D
LOL me too!! Reminds me of that old video game where Mario went smashing all these mad crabs, and you sent them in a frenzy before you could squash them. LOL angry crabs... Image

Crabbers unite!!!

Ameliasaur

Post by Ameliasaur » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:07 am

This post actually helped me out (I've been lurking). Last night we brought home 3 PPs and the biggest was chasing the medium. The chasing didn't seem too serious yet but I dunked him/her anyway. That stopped it.
Maybe they'll become best buds and antenna fight. :D

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:16 am

I think initial intro's to a new tat will show that kind of action. There was def more roughhousing earlier on in my tats, even during upgrades and rearrangings. Afterward they seem to mellow a lot more. Still active, but less confrontational.

Crabbers unite!!!

Topic author
hermitcrab24

Post by hermitcrab24 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:48 am

YYWW wrote:ETA: they were doing just that in my avatar shot! Image
Wait, you took that picture?! I thought it was like a professional painting!!