My crab turned from purple to pink

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

CallaLily

Re: My crab turned from purple to pink

Post by CallaLily » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:57 am

Honestly, all he needs at this point is his exo and to be isolated from the other crabs. In ISO, carefully place a hide over him and his exo to provide him with privacy and darkness. ;)

Topic author
Crabbzymagnus

Post by Crabbzymagnus » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:07 am

CallaLily wrote:Honestly, all he needs at this point is his exo and to be isolated from the other crabs. In ISO, carefully place a hide over him and his exo to provide him with privacy and darkness. ;)
Well,he loves the salt water,he swam in it for an hour and then went back into his shell for another hour,now he's eating he's exo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:29 am

Oh it definitely doesn't hurt that you've offered. I'm glad to hear he's eating his exo. That's the most important thing for him right now. :D

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:59 am

Yay!

Crabbers unite!!!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:33 pm

CallaLily wrote:Honestly, all he needs at this point is his exo and to be isolated from the other crabs. In ISO, carefully place a hide over him and his exo to provide him with privacy and darkness. ;)
I didn't realize this was three pages long and typed the same thing before I saw your comment. What she said!!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Crabbzymagnus

Post by Crabbzymagnus » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:23 pm

YYWW wrote:I'm not familiar with ruggies but i will assume he's a mellow crab Image he sounds healthy. Everything sounds good! Hope he hardens into a beautifully solid crab when you get back!
Crabs, while delicate, have proven to be survivors and warriors. Good luck and keep us posted Image

Crabbers unite!!!
Hello guys,i just got back from camp(Got sunburn) anyway,my crab finished eating the main torso and he looks beautiful Image

However he hasn't eaten his exo skeleton legs and claws,do i throw it away?

courtbri

Post by courtbri » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:39 pm

Wow he looks great! He is gorgeous! You've done very well throughout this ordeal. You both made it through!! How's the sunburn? You must not be up north? Here in Western New York there's no opportunity for sunburns- only windburn. Lol.

New mom to 2 PP's- Paul (1 molt) & Juan (1 molt) and 3E's- Harry, Sarge(currently molting) and Gary Also 1 Yorkie-Joey and 1 cat-Milo and 2 teenage daughters.
My clan consists of-4 PP's: Paul, Juan, Salt & Pepper. 3 E's: Harry Houdini, Sarge and RIP Gary-lost during a molt. A Yorkie-Joey, Orange Tabby-Milo
2 teenage daughters and a husband.

Topic author
Crabbzymagnus

Post by Crabbzymagnus » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:43 pm

courtbri wrote:Wow he looks great! He is gorgeous! You've done very well throughout this ordeal. You both made it through!! How's the sunburn? You must not be up north? Here in Western New York there's no opportunity for sunburns- only windburn. Lol.

New mom to 2 PP's- Paul (1 molt) & Juan (1 molt) and 3E's- Harry, Sarge(currently molting) and Gary Also 1 Yorkie-Joey and 1 cat-Milo and 2 teenage daughters.
Hahaha,we both did,he's currently swimming in the saltwater bowl,i live in southeast Asia smack next to the equator ,Do i take out the remaining exo skeleton?

singlemomwithcrab

Post by singlemomwithcrab » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:50 pm

There is no reason to. It can still do him good. Just freshen up the fresh food. How's your other guy?
"Do or Do Not. There is no try"
50 PPs, 1 E

Rebecca C

Post by Rebecca C » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:51 pm

Crabbzymagnus wrote: Hahaha,we both did,he's currently swimming in the saltwater bowl,i live in southeast Asia smack next to the equator ,Do i take out the remaining exo skeleton?

He looks beautiful, and you should leave the exo in there for him. It has only been three days, it might have been too much for him to eat, but I'm sure he is planning on getting to it. :wink:
~Ashley

I have 3 PP's, 1 E, and a puppy. :) Hermit Crabbing since August '04 R.I.P: to the crabs I have lost and R.I.P. Rocky(my first pet).
I make and sell all-natural, chemical and dye free hermit crab food on Etsy:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheHappyHermi ... p_redirect

Topic author
Crabbzymagnus

Post by Crabbzymagnus » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:55 pm

Rebecca C wrote: He looks beautiful, and you should leave the exo in there for him. It has only been three days, it might have been too much for him to eat, but I'm sure he is planning on getting to it. :wink:
Ok,leaving some extra stuff in the food bowl won't hurt,but how long do i leave it in there,Will it rot or something?
Last edited by Crabbzymagnus on Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Crabbzymagnus

Post by Crabbzymagnus » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:56 pm

singlemomwithcrab wrote:There is no reason to. It can still do him good. Just freshen up the fresh food. How's your other guy?
The other guy is still underground,I think he's under the food bowl,he's been under there for a week so far,Will continue to monitor him.Image

Rebecca C

Post by Rebecca C » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:25 pm

Crabbzymagnus wrote: Ok,leaving some extra stuff in the food bowl won't hurt,but how long do i leave it in there,Will it rot or something?
All depending on how he is acting I would leave him in the Iso for at least a few more days until he is hard enough to not be vulnerable. I would leave the exo for him for as long as he is in the ISO. If he hasn't touched it anymore by the time you put him back into the main tank, I would put it into the main tank with him. If none of your crabs eat it, it should eventually decompose and give nutrients to the substrate. I am not 100% certain, but I do not think that their exos mold or go bad in the same way regular food would. :wink:

I have not read through every post in this topic, so I apologize if this was already brought up, but do you know why he might have done a surface molt instead of digging down?
~Ashley

I have 3 PP's, 1 E, and a puppy. :) Hermit Crabbing since August '04 R.I.P: to the crabs I have lost and R.I.P. Rocky(my first pet).
I make and sell all-natural, chemical and dye free hermit crab food on Etsy:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheHappyHermi ... p_redirect

Topic author
Crabbzymagnus

Post by Crabbzymagnus » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:29 pm

Rebecca C wrote: All depending on how he is acting I would leave him in the Iso for at least a few more days until he is hard enough to not be vulnerable. I would leave the exo for him for as long as he is in the ISO. If he hasn't touched it anymore by the time you put him back into the main tank, I would put it into the main tank with him. If none of your crabs eat it, it should eventually decompose and give nutrients to the substrate. I am not 100% certain, but I do not think that their exos mold or go bad in the same way regular food would. :wink:

I have not read through every post in this topic, so I apologize if this was already brought up, but do you know why he might have done a surface molt instead of digging down?
Well,i'm not entirely sure why he did a surface molt ,But the other guy is molting underground right now so i think i can just put him in the tank cause he will be alone,i'll leave the exo skeleton in the food bowl for a few days....

ViiT

Post by ViiT » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:33 pm

Beautiful crab! I'm so jealous that you have Ruggies :o

I'm glad he's doing well :)
Last edited by ViiT on Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
40GB/6 PPs: Heisenberg (M), Hobbles (M), Schrödinger (F), Tesla (F), Icarus (?), 1 Un-named Micro
5G Isopod Tank: 3 Successful Reproductions