Hermie is out of his shell and lifeless [UPDATE - RIP HERMIE

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
feerose77

Hermie is out of his shell and lifeless [UPDATE - RIP HERMIE

Post by feerose77 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:41 am

UPDATE- Hermie didn't make it :( I checked him this morning and he was giving off the strong death smell. So sad.

Hi all, I woke this morning to my hermie out of his shell and not moving. Aussie Hermie.
I am hoping he is ok, am very new to owning so am not really sure what the go is. I have isolated him in a small container with the shell he ditched and a slightly bigger shell. Boiled the shells before putting them in with him incase there was something nasty in them. I placed the container back into the normal tank so he keeps warm and for the humidity. I am wondering if it will just be a waiting game to see if he survives or not. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Last edited by feerose77 on Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

soilentgringa

Re: Hermie is out of his shell and lifeless

Post by soilentgringa » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:09 am

To quote @CallaLily from another post:

"It's very important to get him back in a shell. You can place some extras near him to see if he'll try one on. If not, try the glass cup method. This is where you place a clean, appropriately sized shell in the bottom of a glass, gently rinse the crab in lukewarm dechlor freshwater, and place him in the glass on top of the shell. Hopefully that'll coax him into taking it. If he continues to refuse or is extremely weak, you'll need to help him into a shell. In that case, a slightly too large shell makes it a bit easier. Again you'll want to make sure crab and shell are clean. It also helps to leave a small amount of water in the shell. After getting the crab reshelled, ISO in proper conditions. Good luck!"

Topic author
feerose77

Post by feerose77 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:59 am

Thanks for your reply. I have him in a glass with two other shells, I dipped him in salt water before I put him back in. The shells also have salt water in them. I did gently try to get him back into a shell but he is not moving what so ever :( I just hope he's still alive..

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:29 am

Does he look like he might be molting? Or does he look like he could just be very weak? Do you notice any deformity or evidence of attack? What was he doing before you found him like this?

Crabbers unite!!!

Topic author
feerose77

Post by feerose77 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:15 pm

YYWW wrote:Does he look like he might be molting? Or does he look like he could just be very weak? Do you notice any deformity or evidence of attack? What was he doing before you found him like this?

Crabbers unite!!!
Hi, I didn't see any evidence he was molting, although I thought he might have been trying a surface molt until I found him passed this morning. He was very very week, no movement at all and no deformities. No idea what he was doing but I found his shell in his fruit bowl and he was tucked in beside the bowl and the glass. Poor little fella.

YYWW

Re: Hermie is out of his shell and lifeless [UPDATE - RIP HE

Post by YYWW » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:17 pm

Poor baby I'm sorry.

Crabbers unite!!!

Spags

Re: Hermie is out of his shell and lifeless [UPDATE - RIP HE

Post by Spags » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:02 pm

Aww im so sorry
:(
Who needs ductape when we have Eco-Earth?