Im not sure what to do

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
jametheo

Im not sure what to do

Post by jametheo » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:47 pm

I got two new hermit crabs last week on wednesday. on the first night one changed into a bigger shell and buried himself. and I was worried yesterday so I went digging, very gently and found the cave hole. so i gently cover it back up. BUT he keeps making noises at the bottom of the tank so I don't know if he is stuck or just moving around. I need help please.

crabzlove

Re: Im not sure what to do

Post by crabzlove » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:51 pm

He is just exploring his new surroundings. Fot future reference, do not dig up a buried crab because it might be molting.

-CrabzLove
I have been crabbing for 4 years. I currently own 3 PPs ; Batman, Robin, Krystal

Topic author
jametheo

Post by jametheo » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:02 pm

crabzlove wrote:He is just exploring his new surroundings. Fot future reference, do not dig up a buried crab because it might be molting.

-CrabzLove

but he has been under for a week and hasn't come up at all!

YYWW

Im not sure what to do

Post by YYWW » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:06 pm

You need to let crabs molt. They can and will disappear fpr longer than a week. Crabs have been gone 4 months.
Then, you need to not rebury crabs after you have disturbed them. Their caves are formed the way they have been doing it all their lives. To throw that off could stress or suffocate them. Just leave crabs be.
In the meantime do some reading on molting:
viewtopic.php?t=92527

Crabbers unite!!!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:22 am

When they're molting, crabs go underground and do not come back up for weeks or months on end, not even for food or water. This is normal! Like the others have said never disturb a crab that is underground. What you're hearing is him moving around and tunneling - which is also normal. They often spend a few days to weeks tunneling all over the tank to find the right safe spot to molt in before they settle in and stop moving around for a few more weeks as they complete the molting process. Owning hermit crabs can be pretty boring at times, but they need to do their thing underground in order to grow larger and stay healthy.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram