DECLINING CONDITIONS TURN INTO A SURFACE MOLT?!

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Stadiastarlet

DECLINING CONDITIONS TURN INTO A SURFACE MOLT?!

Post by Stadiastarlet » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:53 pm

Ok remember my post about declining conditions?! She is surface molting! I isolated her in a 2.5 gallon with 4 inches of sand and it's well humid and 80 degrees in there with shells and everything she needs including A LARGE saltwater dish for her to recover in after the molt. BUT Idk what to do for her! She's still molting! Help?!
Those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter

Kleinerhejhog

Re: DECLINING CONDITIONS TURN INTO A SURFACE MOLT?!

Post by Kleinerhejhog » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:46 pm

There really isn't much you can do, besides what you've already done, other than keep her in the dark if you can. And be patient and don't disturb her, which, yes, is just about the hardest thing in the world to do...

Topic author
Stadiastarlet

Post by Stadiastarlet » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:35 pm

Oh my glob she's finished and is eating her Exo. That was a scary expirience. :0

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:49 am

She's not out of the woods yet, in a normal molt she'd only be halfway through. Surface molts move quicker, but she still has to eat her exo and recharge for a few days, maybe even a week or two. She'll need to kept alone and undisturbed until she starts moving around on her own and eating normally again. Rushing her back to other crabs could lead to her being attacked or killed. Also be prepared, as she may choose to bury underground for several weeks at any point!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Stadiastarlet

Post by Stadiastarlet » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:49 pm

She has some hazelnut and some dried grass to snack on. Something that won't rot so I won't have to bother her, but something she can regain her strength upon. I'll give her until about Saturday before I give her a good checkup and then I'll return her to the other crabs'

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:05 pm

Do you have any sort of protein to give her? Animal is best dried crickets or shrimp or boiled egg and eggshell? She really, really needs protein and calcium or other energy boosting food. If your lawn has been fertilized or treated with pesticides it is not advisable to give the grass from your yard. Our neighborhood has mosquito trucks at night spraying deet... If you have some raw organic honey that would really help boost energy.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:16 pm

Honestly, all she really needs (food wise) at this point is her exo. ;) But it doesn't hurt if you want to keep a dish of food at the ready for when she's finished eating it. :)

Topic author
Stadiastarlet

Post by Stadiastarlet » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:52 pm

Our grass is not fertilized with anything.
I'll make her a boiled egg tonight.

And I know, but I want her strong and ready to return to her tank. Her tankmate likes to rough house with her. Not hurt her, but they push each other around sometimes! Lol! :D they don't know who has the pants of the relationship