brand new crab...dead or alive?

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Corki

brand new crab...dead or alive?

Post by Corki » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:09 pm

I literally brought crabs home less than 4 hours ago. I am worried one is dead. Any help appreciated! These are my first 2 since I was a kid.
> 1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?  Sand and eco earth - about 7 inches (slightly less under pools)
>
> 2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read? Yes. Acurite home thermometer/hydrometer on side of tank.  humidity was 84% and temp was 81 when I put them in.
>
> 3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what? UTH - Flukers
>
> 4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)? Yes, it is treated.  I use Aqueon Water Conditioner (2 drops per 1 gallon of well water) and Instant Ocean (1/2 c per gallon tap water w/ conditioner)
>
> 5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced? They have dehydrated Carrots, coconut, dandelion, freeze dried bloodworms, sundried shrimp, worm castings, egg shell, raw albumin.
>
> 6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known? Purple pincher I believe. Got them today.
>
> 7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen? No
>
> 8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?  10 gallon aquarium, plastic/screen lid.
>
> 9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they? 2. Small maybe? Shells have about 1 inch opening.
>
> 10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any? 8 maybe
>
> 11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently? Not in my tank
>
> 12. How often do you clean the tank and how? Hasn't been an issue. Initially cleaned with vinegar/water and rinsed well.
>
> 13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned? No
>
> 14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently? Everything
>
> 15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)? Took hermies home in wire hotel with sand, 2 sponges, shell with water and carrots.
>
> 16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail. 1 crab seems stressed. I bathed them when I got home and he was active in the water. Now he will come a little or of his shell and not move unless I walk by and then he retreats into his shell. I hope he will destress and be ok. I covered the tank with a towel to give him quiet and later peeked from the top. He was sitting in the food dish!

The other was half out of the shell when I got home and I don't think he reacted to the water. I brushed his leg when adding food to the tank and there was no retreat or movement. Even after the towel it doesn't appear he has moved. Is this pps or is he dead?
>l
i am hopeful for the first crab but very worried for the second. Thanks for any help.

soilentgringa

Re: brand new crab...dead or alive?

Post by soilentgringa » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:24 pm

Hi and welcome to HCA. Your conditions look good for now although if your crabs have a 1" shell opening they are going to need more space soon so you will want to consider an upgrade in the near future. Leave them alone and don't handle them or bathe them at all for the time being. Bathing crabs actually stresses them out and causes the salinity balance in their shell water to be disrupted. Are they able to fully submerge?
Let them have time to destress and bury themselves to molt. Lethargy immediately after purchase is usually a sign that they are getting ready to dig under. Just give them some time. Unless there is a horrible dead fish smell it is still alive. You may also offer some raw organic honey as an energy boosting food.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
Last edited by soilentgringa on Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:26 pm

Being active in the water during bathing is generally a sign that they're panicking.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Topic author
Corki

Post by Corki » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:38 pm

Thank you! I will go looking for honey tomorrow, leave them alone for now and hope for the best!

Topic author
Corki

Post by Corki » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:07 pm

Sorry. Forgot the question about the pools. I don't want to bother them to check for sure but I believe both should be able to fully submerge.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:40 pm

He should have reacted in some way to being moved and bathed. Is he limp? It does not sound normal at all. :( You'll know by morning for sure. Was he moving at all when you got him? This actually happened with the first buddy I got for Goji - he moved a bit at the store, got home and put him in the food dish and woke up next morning to him in the same place and the death smell.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:49 am

My mom surprised me with 4 tiny crabs one day and turns out all 4 were dead. I gave them baths and nothing. Sniffed each one and all of them had the dead fish smell to an extent. I was horrified. She bought then at petsmart so we went straight there and I very upset.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

pearl29mi

Post by pearl29mi » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:15 pm

I have literally bought 2 dead hermit crabs before. When I returned one once the worker pulled him out of its shell :shock: If the hermit crab you have smells fishy or if it's limp he will be dead..
6 Caribbean Hermies~ Liberty|Spike|Freddie|Pinchers|Pip|

Topic author
Corki

Post by Corki » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:54 am

Sadly, the poor little guy was indeed dead. :( The other has spent much of the time in the food dish and now appears to have dug down. Fingers crossed for him! Thanks for all the responses!

JulesRolyCrab

Post by JulesRolyCrab » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:45 am

I am so sorry for your loss, Corki. Hopefully #2 will make it! Best of luck!

websey2002

Post by websey2002 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:52 pm

I'm so sorry! What's the living one's name?

Topic author
Corki

Post by Corki » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:16 am

I'm currently pondering names. He's still dug down so I'm not seeing a lot of personality right now. Front runner is Radar - as I was watching an episode of MASH and Radar was shoveling food in his face, my little guy was sitting in his food dish doing the same :D

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:26 pm

Corki wrote:I'm currently pondering names. He's still dug down so I'm not seeing a lot of personality right now. Front runner is Radar - as I was watching an episode of MASH and Radar was shoveling food in his face, my little guy was sitting in his food dish doing the same :D
Love it! That is so what crabs spend a lot of time doing. But, if you opt for calling him Radar, he just may ask for a grape Nehi :hlol: .
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster