Dead or exo?

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Acceb_becca

Dead or exo?

Post by Acceb_becca » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:09 am

I came home after a week of vacation( don't worry I had a pet sitter give them food and water every other day!) and found my crabs shell in the corner empty and what I think is his corps next to it... It was sooo dry and crunchy and I don't think it really had an abdomen... Is it his exo?? Is it his dead body??? I love him soo much and I'm really sad so please help! I'll try to get pictures, I moved him to a box so I can bury him... Any thing will help! Thanks!
- becca :crybaby: :( :crabcry: :smt010 :smt089 :smt100 :smt102

KellyCrabbieLove

Re: Dead or exo?

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:16 am

Look deep inside the shell. Sometimes you will see a tiny pink crabby deep inside. If so you had a crab do a surface molt. It sounds like the exo. Put it back in the tank and wait. Please hurry and get back to me about what you see waaaaay down inside the shell.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:39 pm

This thread shows awesome pics of what a surface molt looks like: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... cs#p756716.

I agree with Kelly, the crab could be tucked way back in the shell. Double check and keep the crab in ISO with proper conditions until you're sure!! I wouldn't want you to accidentally dispose of a live crabby.

Topic author
Acceb_becca

Post by Acceb_becca » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:25 pm

Sadly I don't see anything in the shell but when I went to look at him again I am sure he's dead, his abdomen I all shriveled up but it's there.. Thanks for your help! His fenurial is tomorrow...

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:50 pm

I'm so sorry. :(