EMERGENCY PLEASE HELP

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
TheLocalCrabber

EMERGENCY PLEASE HELP

Post by TheLocalCrabber » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:48 pm

Hi this is my first molt with my new crab out of 6 that I've gotten around a few months ago. When he came I closed the tank and redid it for him and he along with 4 others hunkered under the small salt water bowl. I went to check and I just found a hermit crab limb but I can't tell which one. At first I picked it u and some of it broke away leading me to think it's part of an exoskeleton. Should I pick him up and see I he is alive or it could be my other molting vcrab who I got a few months before the new one on the Monday of fathers day with his buddy. I'm not sure but when I lift up the E water bowl he looks crumbled and when I trn the tank around because he's a window molter he looks.

[Image

ImageImage

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

Topic author
TheLocalCrabber

Re: EMERGENCY PLEASE HELP

Post by TheLocalCrabber » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:53 pm

Image my alpha leaving the scene after I resprayed the tank and placed the supposed exo back. He checked it out a little and sat on it then walked away unamused.

Topic author
TheLocalCrabber

Post by TheLocalCrabber » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:55 pm

Please reply soon have to go to be in a little Image

That was him showing off for me, pounding the ground after leaving the scene and trying to escape.

JulesRolyCrab

Post by JulesRolyCrab » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:04 pm

I don't know much how I can help, but I'll do my best, hopefully someone'll chime in soon. Please fill out this: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=46102
as you wait.

Right now, I suggest you cover up the molting "window" with black tape or paper. They need darkness to molt. I do not fully understand the situation, is he molting right now? The emergency template will help everyone help you out! Thanks.

hermitcrabdc

Post by hermitcrabdc » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:45 pm

It looks like exo to me. Good sign that the molt is going well :) Exoskeleton will usually be hollow whereas body parts aren't.
Looking at your pictures your sub looks extremely dry. For a hermit crab to molt they need substrate that won't cave in on them while they molt. Moist substrate is a must.
Ditto with Jules, please fill out the help template so we can see if there is anymore details that will help you and the crabbies out :)
Crabbing since July 2013!
4 PPs - Chloe, Tani, Kono, McGarrett

Laurie LeAnn

Post by Laurie LeAnn » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:41 am

It's best not to disturb your molters. If they have dug under a water dish then this is what I have done..I have moved the water dish and put over the molter a gladware lid and covered it with your substrate. This way you still can change the water and you don't have to worry about the water dish caving on them. I would start misting your tank. Do it close to the ground to get your substrate wet/ moist. I wouldn't pour water on it right now if you have crabs down you can collapse their holes. I had that happen and lost one. Your crab should be coming up very soon if you have found parts of him. Do you have huge crabs?? You got these around fathers day in June? That's a really long time for crabs to molt. I have large and a jumbo and they are usually 2 1/2 months

Topic author
TheLocalCrabber

Post by TheLocalCrabber » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:24 am

I will fill out the questions in a second but for these questions here, my crabs that are molting are about medium sized
And the one I got around fathers day has been down but the ither I got around a month ago. I do spray my tank every 2 hiurs but wasnt really sure what to do about the substrate

Sent from my LGMS345 using Tapatalk

Topic author
TheLocalCrabber

Post by TheLocalCrabber » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:26 am

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
EE soon to be sand also about 3 inconveniant inches until our new tank.
2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
Yea I have both located on the other side of the tank across from the heating pad for accurate answers and they usually read 70 - 80

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? Yes a light often turned on at night and a heating pad on 24/7

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)? Fresh and salt, salt water by zoomed I believe and distilled bottled water for fresh.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced? I feed them a diet of honey, nuts, raisons, cranberries, and prunes aswell as regular fruit and vegitables with some m meat because my grandma cooks.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known? Num Num the one who I don't think the exo belongs to is a PP and I've had him since fathers day and Dubbs who I think it does belong to is my only EE and I've had him for a month.

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen? I believe NumNum has but Dubbs hasn't.

8. What type of housing are your crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing? A terrarium 18.7 gallons with a screen lid covered with a blanket to keep in humidity soon to be a 30 - 50 gallon next dollar a gallon sale.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they? 6 Hercules is golf ball size, charlie is the size of a nickel, Sticky, Monday, Dubbs, and Num num are all about the size of a gatorade lid.

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any? All ones I've seen them interested in which is about 8.

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently? No.

12. How often do you clean the tank and how? Every year or when we have bugs or if it gets real dirty we clean it with water, soap, and apple cider vinegar with hot water. Usual spot clean as well.

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned? No.

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently? A big cave and a home made popsicle stick bridge.

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)? No

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail. I got out of the shower and went to replace the doos and water along with spray the tank and I found a limb near the water bowl and ladder. Underneath the waterbowl I have 3 crabs molting. I instantly put on gloves and removed the limb and it crumbled a little and it was hollow which leads me to believe it is a piece of exo belonging to Dubbs since its from an ee and hes my only EE. I replaced the exo back where I found it and continued on with my routine of spraying and such.

Topic author
TheLocalCrabber

Post by TheLocalCrabber » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:14 am

Please reply im overly nervous now

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:44 am

Hello.

There are several areas of concern in your crabitat so I am going to go through the questions one by one and address them.

1. Substrate needs to be 3X deeper than your largest crab, shell and all. Ideally you'd want it between 6"-12" depending on how large your crabs are. We recommend a 5:1 mix of playsand and EE. I see you are picking up playsand, so that's great!

2. Are your gauges digital or analog? Analog gauges need to be calibrated and can also be "shocked" if dropped or mishandled during shipping/stocking. (I used to cook professionally, and every time we dropped one of our thermometers, we'd have to recalibrate it!)
PP's need to be between 80°F-90°F. The average year round temperature in their natural habitat is 85 or so, and that is where you will see the most activity. Humidity no less than 75% or they risk gill damage.
75°F is the absolute lowest safe temperature your crabs can be at.

3. What sort of light are you using at night? Hermit crabs are nocturnal and need a normal day/night cycle so make sure you are using a night time bulb and not a regular day/white lightbulb.

5. Distilled water is ok in a pinch, however it lacks some elements that the crabs need and would get from dechlorinated tap water. Both the fresh and saltwater need to be dechlorinated with a product like SeaChem Prime, to remove heavy metals, chlorine/ammonia from the tap water. They need marine grade salt mix. Most of us use Instant Ocean. The Zoo Med salt mix won't hurt them but isn't helping them any either.

5. Hermit crabs are scavengers and need a varied diet. Protein and calcium sources are important. Please check out our Safe Food List linked in the care guide I am linking below.

http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... hp?t=92457

Calcium/chitin sources are essential for exoskeleton health. Cuttlebone, eggshells, dried shrimp, insects, and smashed seashells are all good sources.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
Last edited by soilentgringa on Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:55 am

8. You already know you need to upgrade. Wrap your screen lid in cling wrap or packing tape or duct tape even to keep humidity in. Mist the terrarium with dechlorinated fresh water to help keep humidity up but don't overdo it or you'll flood them.

9. What kind of Gatorade lid? One for the small bottles, large bottles, or the large tins you mix for sports games?
It sounds like you have 1 small, 1 medium, and 4 med-large crabs. Consider a 40 gallon tank at least when you upgrade. The dollar per gallon sale at Petco is going on now.
Craigslist is also an excellent place to find tanks.

10. Each crab needs 3-5 shells at least, in shapes they like and incrementally larger sizes. PP's like turbo, murex, magpie, and others. We have a shell ID guide and info on measuring and sizing shells.

12. Since you have been using just EE I believe it does need to be replaced every so often, however I am not as familiar with just using EE so an experienced crabber who does so can weigh in there.

Once you get your substrate correct in your new tank, you should never have to change it out. Beneficial bacteria builds up and aids in breaking down waste. You don't even have to clean poop out. Isopods can also be added to help clean up and aerate the sub.

14. What is the cave made out of?

16. Is the crumbled bit of exo from any of the crabs under the water bowl? I would check to see if any of them are soft, pink or pale colored, or missing limbs. You may also want to isolate them because 3" of sub isn't really deep enough with that many crabs and they are at risk for molt attacks.

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:01 am

Also wanted to add that when cleaning the tank, vinegar and water will suffice. It isn't advisable to use soap. If the tank is used and really bad, you can soak it in a 1:10 bleach to water solution provided it is rinsed extremely well and aired out. Or you can soak it in a vinegar water solution and scrape it out with a razor blade.

Topic author
TheLocalCrabber

Post by TheLocalCrabber » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:12 pm

Okay when does the dollar a gallon sale because of my wrong knowledge I thought it stopped earlier and didnt happen yet so I was waiting till that to happen I will post more later kn ths school bus

Topic author
TheLocalCrabber

Post by TheLocalCrabber » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:12 pm

When does the sale end I mean

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:15 pm

You can check on Petcos website.