EMERGENCY PLEASE HELP

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

megmaholm

Re: EMERGENCY PLEASE HELP

Post by megmaholm » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:18 pm

http://www.petco.com/petco_Page_PC_dollarpergallon.aspx

Looks like through November 7th, so you have a little while.
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

Topic author
TheLocalCrabber

Post by TheLocalCrabber » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:44 pm

Alright I am trying to persuade my grandma for maybe even a 55 if she says yes in general then Im going to try to get playsand aswell. I am younger and my parents do control me or my guardians which are my grandma and grandpa so.... But im hoping and on the limb I've noticed a little spot of purple which could be from my other molting crab num num

Sent from my LGMS345 using Tapatalk

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:59 pm

TheLocalCrabber wrote:Alright I am trying to persuade my grandma for maybe even a 55 if she says yes in general then Im going to try to get playsand aswell. I am younger and my parents do control me or my guardians which are my grandma and grandpa so.... But im hoping and on the limb I've noticed a little spot of purple which could be from my other molting crab num num

Are you able to show them our care guides? Unfortunately if your crabs do not have the appropriate setup, they will not live nearly as long as they should. They are long lived pets and can live for over 30 years in captivity.

Maybe if your grandparents read through our info they would have a better idea of what the crabs need.

You can also make a crabitat out of a large clear plastic tote from WalMart or Target. They are considerably cheaper than a tank if cost is the issue. You can also find tanks on CL.

I assumed you were older because your profile states that you are 19.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Topic author
TheLocalCrabber

Post by TheLocalCrabber » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:01 pm

I am sorry ;( My cousin made me this accoutn

Topic author
TheLocalCrabber

Post by TheLocalCrabber » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:04 pm

I am 10 years of age but I act and carry myself very maturely.

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:11 pm

If your tank smells like dead fish then, unfortunately the crab has passed.

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:55 pm

Do not touch him. If he moved around he is still alive. Make sure there is proper fresh and saltwater and take a qtip and dip it in honey/peanut butter and maybe crushed eggshell and poke it in the substrate close enough for the crab to reach. Leaving him alone is the best thing you can do.

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:23 pm

http://www.coppa.org/

Laurie LeAnn

Post by Laurie LeAnn » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:58 pm

If your gluing things together like craft sticks you have to make sure crabs can't get to the glue. Sometimes the heat and humidity will break down the bond and your stuff will fall apart. All fish tank decorations are crab safe.. the plastic type.. you know the dead woods, ceramics, slate rock..It's better to use aquarium glue.if you have some plexiglass, a plastic cutting board, even a piece of board to put on top and just make a little air hole for ventilation to prevent mold will work..a picture is worth a thousand words. Help us to help you. Be careful w those gallon sales. My son went to one and they were all damaged tanks.. most badly broken. Yes crabs need day and night cycles. Moon glow lights are cool but are not a must have..you can have your regular day light and at night turn it off & just have a night light in the room or by the tank some have used rope lights. My 55 gallon has split so I have the option of do I want it or not.. So half is the light the other is moon glow.make sure grandma's cooking if you are feeding it to them has no seasonings.. you can also buy organic baby foods. When I say organic I mean if it says peas then it should just have peas, water on the label. No skins on the fruit. You can also try putting the word out to family and friends your searching for a tank. You may get a really good sized tank for cheap! I got my 55 for 75$ I did have to clean it. If you get a scuzzy tank just soak paper towels in vinegar and plaster them all over and you a non scratch sponge thing it should come off. Mine did.. vinegar is a natural cleaner. Don't mix w bleach! You should have to use bleach or any other soaps. You should clean your whole tank at least once a year that's what I have been told, read so I go by it..you leave some of your old substrate to mix with new. I never have done that when I clean I clean! It all goes.. but I am just wiping the tank out with water and paper towels. Had my crabs since 2009 well hope I added my two cents worth and confused you more!