Help! Surface Molt? Crab Exposed and I Need Help.

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
CrabbyHermit

Re: Help! Surface Molt? Crab Exposed and I Need Help.

Post by CrabbyHermit » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:17 pm

Thank you. I've read and read. I've seen fiddler crabs shed before just not hermits. Not going to lie naked hermit crabs are wierd looking, discovered this one is a male!

This crab in this thread hasn't lost limbs. But I had two others who fell apart and obviously died. One lost a leg before he died. One of my little ones lost a leg and then buried. I found an empty shell so I think he's buried dead. I started to look but got too nervous since I have three other buried crabs.

I'm very frustrated, I've spent so much money, time and research that I feel like a failure. I have to order supplies online or drive an hour to pick up supplies or crabs.

One day at a time I guess.

And idk about the bubble, I forgot to look. :(

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:01 am

The molt sack is disgusting and in my experience very hard to miss. If you don't know then he probably didn't have one.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

Topic author
CrabbyHermit

Post by CrabbyHermit » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:15 am

Well I was concentrating on not touching his abdomen with my fingers cuz it was kinda gross. Can you see that sack from the top? If he didn't have one then he's dying?

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:20 am

You can usually see it from the top. My crabs have always had black or gray ones. Just because he doesn't have one doesn't mean he is dying.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

Topic author
CrabbyHermit

Post by CrabbyHermit » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:24 pm

Ok that's good to hear. I guess now time will tell.

Topic author
CrabbyHermit

Post by CrabbyHermit » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:54 am

I can smell an odor. I think he's dead... but I'll wait a bit.

Laurie LeAnn

Post by Laurie LeAnn » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:10 am

You want to make sure your tank conditions are set and correct before bringing home crabs, even on on a ride home..if it's a long ride they need to be kept warm. Took small containers wrapped up in towels, if it was cold I use a hand warmer on top of the lid. Next look at your stores crab tank. What are the conditions the crabs in? Grave or scant of e.e.? Little or no water..bacteria infested sponges..types of food? Open tank? Then pile on top of their travel to a store..they are stressed and sometimes can be sick and you can have a bunch be sick at once.. you take them from those crappy conditions and shove them in perfect...boom you have have a post purchase stress crab. They are weak and sick and want to molt they end up dropping their shell.. you will KNOW when they are dead.. it's a very bad dead fish smell. Save the shell! You can boil them and use them again. We all have lost crabs for various reason.. they are hardy robust crabs to have once you get them established..but once they get sick r go through a bad molt the chances of survival are slim..some people take their out and play with them. I don't..I treat mine like the wild creatures they are.that's another point..when you bring them home you don't want to do anything with them for a month..just water , feed, remove poo on surface. Nothing else. I put paper on the ends of my tank and my back had a covering ( fish tank type ) this helps them feel safer if their tank is in a high traffic zone

Topic author
CrabbyHermit

Post by CrabbyHermit » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:36 am

Thank you...

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:03 am

I'm so sorry. :(
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
CrabbyHermit

Post by CrabbyHermit » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:18 pm

Thank you very much.