48 HOURS OUT OF SHELL

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Dom :)

48 HOURS OUT OF SHELL

Post by Dom :) » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:29 am

Habitat:

10 gallon

5 inches of substrate

Two crabs

Medium size

Salt water

Fresh water

Humidity is up to the requirements (80)

Heat is also (80)

Purple pincher

Access to food

Story:

My hermit crab is naked going on 48 hours!! He is in isolation with 5 shells, smaller, larger, and the same size, like substrate. He has a coco hut in there and a small freshwater bowl.

He is alive 100% he is buried up against the glass and I can see him, but he is still naked!!! His antennas are moving and he has been making his cave bigger. Could he be doing a naked molt or what? The hole by the glass is basically covered so I can't really see... I just need advice.

I don't want to force him but I have school and stuff so I can't sit here and tend to him 24/7... Please help :(
Just the basic 10 gallon set up with 2 crabs, plus a 55 gallon at my dad's.

marandashermies

Re: 48 HOURS OUT OF SHELL

Post by marandashermies » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:35 am

hi there!
You are going to want to re-shell him asap. They can not live long with out their shell. Gently pick him up and un curl his abdomen and slide him into a proper shell.
They do not go down to molt with out a shell, so he is probably digging from stress. Try to get his butt back in a shell ASAP!

It isn't typical that they streak, can you possibly fill out the emergency template in a bit more detail? Hopefully we can find out the reason he is streaking.

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail
{125g~56g~55g} {30 PPs~ 10 Straws~ 5 Ruggies~ 2 E's~ 4 Viola's~ 2 Cavipes~ 2 Indo's}
2 Handsome Kitties {Rolan & Luka}
http://s628.photobucket.com/user/marand ... t=3&page=1

DarthKrab

Post by DarthKrab » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:29 pm

I hope my crabs never streak. Their abdominal region freaks me out hahahaha

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
4 PP's:Zelda, Chancho, Parker, Frankie Sinatra

"I find your lack of claw disturbing..."

Ilovehermies74

Post by Ilovehermies74 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:29 pm

Yeah one of my crabs streaked and it was pretty freaky :crabbigsmile: He is ok now though (thanks to this website)
owner of 10 happy hermies! tiny micro, arora small, problem small, romeo small, Juliet small, berry small, mars medium, katniss medium, lucky large, and the big head honcho hugo:) :) RIP shy Check out my youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW91Ko ... s84MrO0zog

Kaleighshermies

Post by Kaleighshermies » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:02 pm

Isn't it traumatizing for them to be forced into a shell? Also a lot of crabs ditch their shells when hey have become too weak to carry around their shell. What if you put him in the shell and he wastes his energy on trying to carry it around? Would it be better for the crab to de-stress for a little while and get some energy back? Then he can come up when ready and check out the shells? Please correct me if I am wrong!
7 PP Hermies I think? Lost count tbh 5 PPs and 2 Es
Crabbing since 2004

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:36 pm

No. The shell holds shell water to keep their abdomen and gills moist. Without it to protect then and keep them moist they will dry out and die.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

Kaleighshermies

Post by Kaleighshermies » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:46 pm

Okay thanks! Like I said in another thread when I first stared every one told me to just let them be and do their own thing and that helping them into a shell was a no no. Good to know.
7 PP Hermies I think? Lost count tbh 5 PPs and 2 Es
Crabbing since 2004