I cant find her!

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Persia352

I cant find her!

Post by Persia352 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:29 pm

All three have been up from their molts this past week. I went to take them out and I see her empty shell! I dug carefully and slow I CANNOT FIND HER. I have had her over 3 years and she came up looking a gorgeous dark purple and was just playing on the second level yesterday I am at a complete loss! ANY idea's Please! :cry:

Kaleighshermies

Re: I cant find her!

Post by Kaleighshermies » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:40 pm

I had a hermit crab that I didn't see for a whole year! She must have come out at night really late and must have missed her every time. I am sure she is probably just hiding out some where and she will pop up soon (if not eventually!) I wouldn't go digging for her as you might accidently move the sand/substrate around enough that the tunnel she may be in will collapse on her. She sounds like a pretty happy and healthy crab. I am sure one night she will come up to the surface. Other than that, is there any way she might have been able to climb out of the tank?
7 PP Hermies I think? Lost count tbh 5 PPs and 2 Es
Crabbing since 2004

Topic author
Persia352

Post by Persia352 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:47 pm

You don't understand. I found her empty shell in the front of the tank. I had to dig and look for her. I cannot find her. She is without her shell and I am baffled. I just saw her yesterday. She is about golf ball shell and all. I am watching the sand in case I missed her.

Kaleighshermies

Post by Kaleighshermies » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:54 pm

If she has ditched her shell then there is something wrong with her. If she has buried herself then let her be. She may be de=stressing and digging her up may make it worse. If and when you see her above the surface and she is still naked then you can move her to an ISO Tank with shells for her to check out.
If you are saying that you dug up the whole entire tank and there is no sign of her whatsoever then yes I am baffled too. The only thing I could think of if she switched shells and escaped the tank. Dumb question but have to checked all the empty shells? I once had a hermit crab change shells and it went into a HUGE shell and was stuffed so far down into it.
Crabbing since 2004

purpleperson

I cant find her!

Post by purpleperson » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:37 pm

Kaleighshermies wrote:If she has ditched her shell then there is something wrong with her. If she has buried herself then let her be. She may be de=stressing and digging her up may make it worse. If and when you see her above the surface and she is still naked then you can move her to an ISO Tank with shells for her to check out.
If she is underground without a shell, you NEED to dig her up and find her. A shell-less crab left without a shell is basically guaranteed to die. They need their shells for survival, not only for protection but their shell holds water and humidity for them so that their abdomens do not dry out.

Is it possible that this crab changed shells without you noticing? Maybe she was attacked. Please fill out an emergency template, it's needed so we can try to help identify and underlying cause.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kaleighshermies

Post by Kaleighshermies » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:44 pm

Yikes! Thanks, that is good to know! I used to be always told to just leave them alone and let them do their thing. Luckily I never had a crab naked and buried. Good to know for the future though.
Crabbing since 2004

Topic author
Persia352

Post by Persia352 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:48 pm

I know she did not get out. I went through that sand from top to bottom. All I can figure is she ducked away from me somehow. I have my eyeballs glued on the tank Thanks everyone

Topic author
Persia352

Post by Persia352 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:33 pm

She has to be in one of the shells and I just cannot find her. Maybe she is pulled in one just enough that i cannot see her. She was up and playing just yesterday morning at AM.

Kaleighshermies

Post by Kaleighshermies » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:56 pm

I will keep my fingers crossed for you!
Crabbing since 2004

AleyedtoBuggie

Post by AleyedtoBuggie » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:51 am

Any update?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530A using Tapatalk

Topic author
Persia352

Post by Persia352 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:28 pm

I think the crab I was seeing was my newest just changing shells. When I dug down I found two shells that could have been hers. I had her for 3 years and she was my very first crab. All 3 are ultra healthy and active. They are fed a lot of good protein. In two months there was nothing but two empty shells. :( My other two are extremely healthy and playing as usual. I will see if anyone has any they would like to adopt out in my area.Thanks for all the love and support.