Unresponsive crab?

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
HerperWChickens

Unresponsive crab?

Post by HerperWChickens » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:46 pm

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it? Coco Coir and sand 8in.

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?yes. *85-90% 83F.

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what? ultratherm

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)? both. rain water (no declor). IO directions.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced? fresh and THCP food and everything on the safe foods list thats organic.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known? 2 months, PP.

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen? yes. 1 week ago.

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing? 30g aquarium with plastic lid.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they? 2, small and one sorta medium/small

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any? about 20

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently? NO.

12. How often do you clean the tank and how? spot clean and turn as often as possible.

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned? NO.

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently? I only refreshed their moss but it's the same kind they've been using w/o problems.

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)? NO.

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail. My little hermit crab is unresponsive. I don't believe she's dead as she does move a little and holds herself in her shell. she ate last night. can hermit crabs die of loneliness, because her buddy is molting for the second time in two months :dunno: . her other tank mate died of PPs a few weeks ago.
Thanks in advance.
~Worried Crabber.

CallaLily

Re: Unresponsive crab?

Post by CallaLily » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:17 am

She's so new, even with having molted with you once, it could still be PPS related. Sometimes they manage to pull through that first molt with us but never fully recover. I would keep her isolated with high energy foods and proper conditions. Don't bother her unless necessary. I know it's tempting to keep checking on them but sometimes it does more harm than good. I wouldn't be surprised if she ended up doing back to back molts like your other guy. I hope she pulls through.

Topic author
HerperWChickens

Post by HerperWChickens » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:04 am

Sadly Fennel passed this morning, and this is weird because shes been acting like this for a few days but it wasn't till today that she smelt bad. But why on earth would she die? She was healthy crab, who devoured her food, shes young and super energetic but she just died. It's kinda odd. I wonder if she was diseased.

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:16 am

I'm so sorry for your loss. Captivity is hard on them, some more than others. It really sounds to me like her first molt with you didn't go so well or she just had injuries too great to repair. If these crab were collected/transported/purchased during colder weather it can really take a toll on them. There is more info on PPS here: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=92531.

Topic author
HerperWChickens

Post by HerperWChickens » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:33 am

but it was just odd that she was super active then died. even after she came up. It could of been PPS I suppose. I was wondering if it could be from the water dishes.I added a rubbery mesh to it for them to climb up but it had white fuzz inside of it.