Rescue crab in extremely small shell maybe stuck

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Happyhermiehome

Re: Rescue crab in extremely small shell maybe stuck

Post by Happyhermiehome » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:37 pm

No I didn't do that. I had seen it done here but I used the Tupperware I had on hand for my fw bowl and didn't have any that nested at the time. I meant to get some but I guess it slipped my mind till now (kicking self)...I'm gonna go get some next time I go out for sure. But in the mean time what do u think I should do with her? Leave her alone? I though it might work if I changed the water by sticking a bunch of paper towels in the dish and letting them soak it up. I wouldn't be able to clean it but at least the water would be fresh.
Livin' the Crazy crab life :P

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:19 pm

Some people use turkey basters to change their water try that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Happyhermiehome

Post by Happyhermiehome » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:40 am

That's a great idea! :)

So I went and rummaged through my kitchen and Managed to find another dish that I thought the one I used would nest in and I soaked up all the water in the fw bowl with a dish towel so it was empty, I could still see her pretty clearly through the glass moving her legs a bit so I know she's not in full on molt mode yet so I figured it be safe to try n move the dish. I managed to move it and very carefully put in the 2nd dish without messing up her lil cave. She's kind of in a funny spot with the end of a piece of coco wall acting as her roof lol.
Thanks GB for reminding me about nesting the bowl! :)

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:34 am

Yw!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Happyhermiehome

Post by Happyhermiehome » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:07 pm

Update: she is definitely not molting at the moment. I guess she was just de stressing. She moved from her spot by the water dish awhile ago and I've seen her sneaking around the tank at night a couple times this week. She's dug herself a pretty deep tunnel and hasn't closed it off yet so I think she's just diggin for fun. I sure am glad she got outta that tiny painted shell :)

NLindsey921

Post by NLindsey921 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:11 am

It's always amazing when they finally change out of a crappy shell. My Teal'C is in his same painted shell with half the paint chipping off and he still refuses to change. By time he wants to change all the paint will be gone. But congrats on ur crab changing shells.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk
5pps: Jimbo, Tiny, Mr Krabs, Felicia, Sebastian

Topic author
Happyhermiehome

Post by Happyhermiehome » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:40 pm

NLindsey921 wrote:It's always amazing when they finally change out of a crappy shell. My Teal'C is in his same painted shell with half the paint chipping off and he still refuses to change. By time he wants to change all the paint will be gone. But congrats on ur crab changing shells.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk
Thanks! Yeah silly things crabs are sometimes :P I still have one more lil girl crabbies in a painted shell down right now possible molting hopefully she'll change when she comes up :)

Topic author
Happyhermiehome

Post by Happyhermiehome » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:39 pm

Update: the larger of the 2 lil rescue crabbies went down soon after I put them in the main tank. I just saw her hanging out on the second level looking freshly molted! Pointy toes n all :) she had broken tips when I brought her home. She's still in an ugly painted shell but I'm sure now that she's up she'll change soon!
The smaller of the 2 (the one that I thought was gonna molt by the water dish) still has not gone back down despite that large molt sac I could see when she was in that tiny shell but she is doing quite well! I see her almost nightly sneaking around the food dish and popping in n out of a tunnel burrow she made. Just so glad they are both doing well! :D
Hooray for successful rescues! :cheer: :clap: