crusty white crab came up

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

annopia

Post by annopia » Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:05 pm

is the edge rough? is there a way you can iso him with good tank conditions? because if it is possible cannibalism, I really wouldn't want to take that chance...

Caroline
26 LHC: 6 PPs, 5 Es, 1 Straw, 6 Ruggies, 2 Indos, 1 Blueberry, 4 Violas, 1 Aussie

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:50 pm

but half a segment is canabalism?

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:55 pm

I think I will iso him again. (My iso is imperfect as a setup, but it will have to do). If he drops more limbs then I will be able to rule out cannabalism. We'll see how things went on Monday. Thanks!

annopia

Post by annopia » Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:49 pm

I think that isoing him was the safest measure. hopefully it wasn't cannibalism, but after the time and affection you've invested in your little guy, better safe than sorry.

Caroline
26 LHC: 6 PPs, 5 Es, 1 Straw, 6 Ruggies, 2 Indos, 1 Blueberry, 4 Violas, 1 Aussie

Topic author

not gonna make it

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:27 am

I don't think Tumbler's going to make it. I had to go out of town for several days and my coworker was crabsitting. She did a good job, but I took him out yesterday and he wouldn't come out of his shell. I gave him a much needed bath, but he didn't revive to any activity. He is slumped out of his shell this morning. Here are some photos:
http://img476.imageshack.us/img476/5574 ... ed11jr.jpg
http://img394.imageshack.us/img394/3548 ... ed29td.jpg
http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/8058 ... ed37if.jpg
http://img476.imageshack.us/img476/8857 ... ed47tj.jpg

HERMEZ

Post by HERMEZ » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:11 pm

it really looks like the bacterial infection just took over his whole body--I am sorry - yes it looks like he is dying! :(
CrAbBy aNd PrOuD
crabbin since 2005.

annopia

Post by annopia » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:21 pm

I'm sorry that Tumbler is not doing well, but you've done all you can.

Caroline

Topic author

dying/naked

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:38 pm

I think you're right. I thought of putting him in a cup and rinsing his shell, but I hate to disturb him further 'cause I don't see how he can live much longer--in or out of his shell. I just put the cocohut over him for privacy and hopefully he feels somewhat secure. I'm sorry that I returned him to the main tank so soon, because I think the bacteria advanced close to his body and vital organs when his legs were pulled off. I never even thought of giving him a re-introduction bath, because he was known to the group previously. The stubs are pretty dark like they got infected. Amputating would have done the same thing--advanced the bacteria further up the limb. Well, I learned a lot during this whole ordeal. I'm thankful that my other molters have come up perfect. I really feared a massive plague. It was just a horrible molt from the beginning and the bacteria just escelated the mess. I'm pretty confident that it was not a result of poor diet because the others look fabulous. Some of you may remember that Tumbler had been dropped from a great distance prior to all of this and I suspect that altho' he seemed to recover, there may have been extensive damage that complicated his molt. Poor little dude. . . .

annopia

Post by annopia » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:55 pm

I, too have dropped crabs from large heights (4-5 feet) onto hard surfaces, and I've always wondered how that impacted molts etc. That has happened to my big boy twice with no (crossing my fingers) ill effects, but he hasn't molted. it happened to a smaller crab as well, the crab died about a month later (i always wondered if the fall was the cause).

I'm glad to hear that your other molters did well...hopefully tumbler will pass in peace and relative comfort.

Caroline