Are my crabs molting?

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
0feelingcrabby0

Are my crabs molting?

Post by 0feelingcrabby0 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:00 pm

So I'm kind of terrified right now. Both of my crabs haven't moved in the past two days. I set them both up in isolation tanks, but they haven't dug I to the substrate or anything. Are they molting?

hermitcrabdc

Re: Are my crabs molting?

Post by hermitcrabdc » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:03 pm

They could be. What are you tank conditions like? Low heat or humidity could make your guys lethargic.
Crabbing since July 2013!
4 PPs - Chloe, Tani, Kono, McGarrett

Topic author
0feelingcrabby0

Post by 0feelingcrabby0 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:07 pm

The humidity fluctuates between seventy and eighty percent. The only is around d seventy, but I have a side heating pad.

hermitcrabdc

Post by hermitcrabdc » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:13 pm

70 Is a little low. If you could get that up it would be healthier for the crabs. But I can't say for sure if that's the reason they are becoming lethargic.
Crabbing since July 2013!
4 PPs - Chloe, Tani, Kono, McGarrett

Topic author
0feelingcrabby0

Post by 0feelingcrabby0 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:14 pm

Thank you so much much!

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:14 pm

It could be any number of things - surface molt, temps or humidity too low, etc. Did you recently get them? If so, they could be suffering from Post-Purchase Syndrome (PPS). They can be sluggish, not move for days, etc. Surface molt is always a possibility, too, so if you suspect it's that cover them with something like a container with an entrance cut and keep them in the dark. It'll reduce stress for them. For either situation, they key is to just leave them alone and maintain good conditions for them. Offer yummy, healthy foods like peanut butter, honey, lots of protein, calcium, etc.

Crabs are excellent about leaving their spot and moving back to the same one, making you think they haven't moved in ages. They may just be moving after you're asleep for the night. You can smooth the sand around their food and water dishes and look for the little crabby tracks in the morning.

If you could answer the questions in this template we can check your conditions and see if we can help you.

Edit: Your humidity is in the safe zone but it's better to try and keep it around 80%. 70 is low for the temperature - you'll want to get it up ASAP. If they're purple pinchers, they prefer the temp closer to 80. What kind of heating pad do you have, and is it above the substrate line? Depending on the type, you can insulate it and get a little more heat. You can also get a heat bulb to boost temps, but that'll lower your humidity.
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

Topic author
0feelingcrabby0

Post by 0feelingcrabby0 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:19 pm

The heating pad is large and about 1/4 below the substrate, the rest above. I've been keeping both the tanks in the dark and in my room where its quiet.

Topic author
0feelingcrabby0

Post by 0feelingcrabby0 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:01 pm

Voldemort is dead.

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:17 am

I'm sorry for your loss.
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above