Help! Naked, soft crab topside

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
MrCrabby

Help! Naked, soft crab topside

Post by MrCrabby » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:19 am

I got a new crab a few weeks ago to be a companion to a loner crab. He was very active for a couple days, then dug below, presumably to molt.

It appears the original crab dug him up. I thought it was dead, but had read to wait and see, so I waited overnight. I found him this morning totally out of the shell, bending over into fresh water bath. I took him out and put him in warm sand. (I'm not sure if this is an "emergency" or a normal issue with multiple crabs and molting?)

Questions:
1. He is very lethargic; is that normal for a soft crab?
2. Do I re-bury him?
3. Do I put him into another tank until he hardens to keep him away from other crab? Buried or on top?
Since you've come to the emergency forum, we know you want a fast answer to your question. In order for us to figure out the problem as quickly as possible, we ask that you answer the following questions by coping and pasting this list into a New Topic. Some of them may seem odd, but they're all designed to give us the information we need to give you a good solution for your problem. Thanks!

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it? Sandcastle-wet sand. (I get issues with mold when add bark substrates.)

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
Yes. 2-3 inches above sand. Right now 75 degrees and 80 humidity.

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
Large stick on heater.

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
Large fresh water bath. Salt water dish, API conditioner and API Aquarium Salt

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
Lots of lettuce & veggies daily. Fruit occasionally. Dehydrated tiny shrimp occasionally.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
Had original one over a year. New one about a month. Both purple claw.

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
Just molted. Crab is soft.

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
20 gallon aquarium with sliding screen lid, with plastic laid over 80 percent to keep humidity in.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
2. Golf balls.

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
No.

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
Scrape off top sand, then just dump all and replace all sand, rinsing with hot water.

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
No.

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
No.

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?
(See above)

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.
(See above) Soft crab on top of sand. Lethargic.

CallaLily

Re: Help! Naked, soft crab topside

Post by CallaLily » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:25 am

Gently rinse him off in lukewarm dechlor freshwater and slip him into a clean, appropriately sized shell. Having a little of the dechlor freshwater left in the shell helps. Then isolate the crab in proper conditions, carefully placing a hide over him and leave him be. Try not to disturb him beyond refreshing food and water.

I noticed you're using the wrong kind of salt mix. Check out this thread: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=92553. You may want to up the protein and calcium sources. Kilimanjaro's Guide to Hermit Crab Nutrition.

This is his first molt with you? This may very well be related to Post Purchase Syndrome. They go through so much from being collected from the wild to pet stores to your home and everything in between. Sometimes they just can't recover. Being naked in the water dish is not a good sign. Very sick and dying crabs are often found that way. I hope he pulls through.

PTCrabs

Post by PTCrabs » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:11 am

Mine did the same thing but it was a year after we had him...he molted and decided not to get in a shell. With the help of an admin and a friend I met on here I was able to reshell him...he didn't go easily...I had to put him there when he acted like he was coming out I tapped him and he shrunk back a little more...I had to do that 3x and he tucked himself right in...recently, like 2 days ago he smelled our other one molting and dug up his exoskeleton I guess to eat it and I found him right next to it naked! Lol so I did the same thing and it worked again...I separated the tank so he wouldn't do it again.

We call his side the nudist colony

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
MrCrabby

Post by MrCrabby » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:51 pm

Thank you. I rinsed him off and tucked him into his shell. I put him in a little hospital tank. He only has a little water dish because he seems drawn to water and I'm afraid he will get stuck in something larger.

What do I cover him with? I put a moist cloth on top.

I removed the salt water and will replace when I get the right salt tomorrow.

I was not surprised he molted right away since I assumed he didn't have the substrate he needed for a while. I wasn't too worried at first that he was topside since he was dug up by another. I am sad to hear this could be a sign that he might not make it.

Are healthy soft crabs otherwise more active?

Thank you!
Heather

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:20 pm

A hide or something similar would work. The API saltwater isn't harmful, it's just lacking many of the elements seawater has that are replicated in the marine-grade salt mixes (API salt is for freshwater aquariums).

I missed that he was dug up. How deep is your substrate?

Crabs still soft from molting are not usually active. Normally, they'd be underground in a little molt cave they made, slowly eating their exo and hardening up. I forgot to say if you can find the exo, give it to him. That's all he'll need at first, aside from proper conditions. Here's more on molting: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=92527

Topic author
MrCrabby

Post by MrCrabby » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:34 pm

Thank you very much.

The substrate is 4 inches to 5 inches. I think it was a case that he buried himself in crab #1's favorite spot: under a plant next to the heater.

I did find bits of exoskeleton, and I wondered if I should put it with him. I will do that. Thank you. Sometimes it's the little things that seem obvious, but are overlooked when you are in the middle of it, that matter. Thanks for mentioning it.

Heather