Shiny Sand

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
eview24

Shiny Sand

Post by eview24 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:14 pm

I just got the play sand from lowes and mixed it with coconut fiber 5parts sand 1part coco fiber and there are shiny pieces of stuff in the sand is it ok! please help!

TheDivineZero

Re: Shiny Sand

Post by TheDivineZero » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:53 pm

Hello! Are the shiny pieces you are seeing very small? If so, I believe that is normal for the silica-based play sand, it sounds like nothing to worry about!
Proud owner of 2 cats (Calvin & Hobbs), 1 dog (Artemis) and 1 Bearded Dragon (Mushu)

Topic author
eview24

Post by eview24 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:02 pm

Yes they are small there are alot of them and I wasn't sure if it was bad or not. I moved my crabs into the iso tank with a cucumber fresh water and a hut for the time being although it has only been 2 hours Thank you so much. :)

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:41 am

Any chance if you could get clear piccies??? I'm leaning towards TheDivineZero idea, but it could be smaller fragments of sea glass or other inorganics that got mixed in. Don't think it would be harmful, but worth the security...
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:47 am

Silica based sand is basically teeny tiny pieces of dull glass. Since you wet it to make it sand castle consistency, the dust was washed off, and there will be small shiny pieces here and there depending on the type of stone/sand that makes up the lot.

Like when lightening strikes sand, it all fuses together into glass at that spot.