Molt

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
MadiCrab

Molt

Post by MadiCrab » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:57 pm

I know Eugene Pincher (biggest) getting ready to molt bc I saw his molt sac today. Matter of fact all 3 are show signs. I've been thinking all this time they buried & shed their skin nothing more. As a new crab mom I didn't realize they dug tunnels. That's a huge issue for me!!!!! do I put him in cooler w everything? I can't run out & buy him a bigger tank. Help PLEASE!!!!!

isadoraisacat

Re: Molt

Post by isadoraisacat » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:00 pm

How big is your tank ? How deep is your substrate ?

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

Topic author
MadiCrab

Post by MadiCrab » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:51 pm

10g (new owner & my husband replaced the 2 that passed. My daughter was so heartbroken). Needless to say he is clueless what he bought & the tank wasn't big enough. Local Pet shop owner should of known & said other wise!!! But all know how that goes!
Say would this be inappropriate of me & cheap to take it back & upgrade!? Only had for 2 weeks tomorrow...???
Kaydee suggested using a tote...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Topic author
MadiCrab

Post by MadiCrab » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:52 pm

isadoraisacat wrote:How big is your tank ? How deep is your substrate ?

6in for sub on 1 side

isadoraisacat

Post by isadoraisacat » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:03 am

MadiCrab wrote:
isadoraisacat wrote:How big is your tank ? How deep is your substrate ?

6in for sub on 1 side

I would work on setting up a proper tank for proper care and make sure your sub is deep and conditions are right so crabs can live a long healthy life

KayedeeLove<3

Post by KayedeeLove<3 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:56 am

There are lots of long time crabbers here who swear by totes! You can...
- make deep sub
- get the same size tote as my 55 gal for 1/16 the price
- they hold humidity VERY well
-uth are safe (just get a heavy duty tote from walmart)
- they are very pretty (try searching tote to check them out)

Also, a good idea would be to take it back, take that money (idk how much you spent you may have to add some with it) and go to the 'community' section then 'pets' on Craigslist or 'all for sale' look up aquarium's. Most of the time i can find 55's for about 50 bucks, 75's about 100. However, you have to look everyday for about a week to get that great deal. Good Luck! Hope you find something that works for you :)

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:10 am

If needed, you could always divide the tank or at least keep him in ISO - like a small tupperware bowl which he can moult in - until you get the tank setup. But yes, a tote could work well... Even a second hand tank of craigslist or similar site, some playsand and possiblelly an upgrade with your heater and you could be given them better conditions.

for a 10g, I think 3 crabs should be fine in there especially if short term.
6in for sub on 1 side
^^^ What do you mean exactly? How much is 1 side, a small area, half the tank ect...? If possible, could you provide pics of the tank and that way we can point out the best "plan of attack". if possible, could you fill out the help template?
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
MadiCrab

Post by MadiCrab » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:10 am

Thanks!!

Topic author
MadiCrab

Big crab

Post by MadiCrab » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:23 am

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it? 6 in. Sand & Eco earth

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read? Inside 79 &humidity 80%

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what? It's not on right now but I do have one on the side

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)? Both. Fresh water has about half salt

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced? Salmon tuna strawberries mango pear nuts peanut butter honey

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known? 2weeks today

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen? Not w me and almost def I saw his molt sack last nite

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing? He was in 10g. I'm about to move him to a tub.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they? 2

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any? 3

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently? No

12. How often do you clean the tank and how? I haven't

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned? No

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
No
15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)? No bathing. Occasional misting. I don't handle much

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail. I'm concerned he's too big. And when is right time to move him? Should I put the little (quarter size? Give take some) one in there w him?
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=ht ... pid=411841

KayedeeLove<3

Re: Big crab

Post by KayedeeLove<3 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:57 am

You should be ok till the tub gets done just watch for aggressiveness! One other thing i noticed is shells they will deff need more... Joanns fabric sells green turbo's for 3$ a bag in various sizes!

Topic author
MadiCrab

Post by MadiCrab » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:21 am

I went there & got some as well as hobby lobby. They have good ones too. His are clear still. No cloudy or ash look.
Can the tub be covered w the lid & punch holes? I read they breathe thru their gills so no need to punch.

Topic author
MadiCrab

Post by MadiCrab » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:24 am

Oh and he's changed back & forth on shells too

Topic author
MadiCrab

Post by MadiCrab » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:44 pm

KayedeeLove<3 wrote:You should be ok till the tub gets done just watch for aggressiveness! One other thing i noticed is shells they will deff need more... Joanns fabric sells green turbo's for 3$ a bag in various sizes!

Should I be alarmed his legs the lower part looks like it's gonna fall off? This is stressful. I don't wanna loose him. I know I'm freaking out. But he's my favorite!

KayedeeLove<3

Post by KayedeeLove<3 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:24 pm

It's hard too tell some times they struggle through and regrow the limbs... Other times it's just too much on them!

Topic author
MadiCrab

Post by MadiCrab » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:36 pm

What did I do? Leave him be? iOS??