New Hermit Crabs NonResponsive

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
MaryJane

New Hermit Crabs NonResponsive

Post by MaryJane » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:23 pm

Since you've come to the emergency forum, we know you want a fast answer to your question. In order for us to figure out the problem as quickly as possible, we ask that you answer the following questions as best you can. Some of them may seem odd, but they're all designed to give us the information we need to give you a good solution for your problem. The things in the [ brackets ] are there to make this post easier to read once submitted. Thanks!

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
7 inch deep Eco Earth

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
Yes, one on each end of the tank toward the middle. Hot side 80, cool side 70 (Fahrenheit) humidity 70

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
Yes, heat lamps one for day one for night.

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
Bottled spring water conditioned with prime. Fresh and salt (Instant ocean) are available in 9x6x6.5 containers with air stones.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
Fresh fruits and vegetables changed every day and Hermit crab food from the Etsy seller HappyCrabby

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
11 days, Purple claw hermit crabs

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
No

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
36x18x18 exo terra enclosure. Aluminum foil on mesh lid to keep in humidity.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
10 crabs, 1 large and 9 small

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
No

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
Once every 3 months. I wipe the enclosure with vinegar and rinse with water and add new eco earth

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
No

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
New hermit crabs

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?
I tend to have a hard time keeping high humidity in my tank

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.
11 days ago I got 9 small hermit crabs. Today I was moving around a few items in their enclosure and had to move a few crabs out of the way. I’ve noticed 3 of my new hermit crabs are unresponsive. The 3 crabs are bright in color. On one of them I noticed a mite. The other smells bad. And all three are not responding. I’ve also found 2 limbs in the enclosure. What’s happening with my hermit crabs? Why are they not responding?

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New Hermit Crabs NonResponsive

Post by curlysister » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:44 pm

Did you get your new crabs from a pet store or another crabber? Wondering what kind of conditions they were in prior to coming to you?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
MaryJane

Post by MaryJane » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:13 pm

curlysister wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:44 pm
Did you get your new crabs from a pet store or another crabber? Wondering what kind of conditions they were in prior to coming to you?
They were from Petco

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:05 pm

Sounds to me like Post-purchase Syndrome (PPS). Hermit crabs go through a lot of stress being shipped to us, so sadly they aren’t all strong enough to make it through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
MaryJane

Post by MaryJane » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:10 am

JoeHermits wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:05 pm
Sounds to me like Post-purchase Syndrome (PPS). Hermit crabs go through a lot of stress being shipped to us, so sadly they aren’t all strong enough to make it through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh okay, thank you