Whelp that happened again

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Prayingmatis

Whelp that happened again

Post by Prayingmatis » Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:09 pm

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it? Play sand

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read? Yes in back of tank heat 70 something and humid is 70 something

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what? under tank heater

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)? both have zoo med of both water things

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced? been feeding some fruit and pelts

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known? Purple pinchers

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen? yes new crab just changed shells tonight.

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing? 10 gallon tank with lid towel over top

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they? 2

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any? put larger shells in and took small shells out

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently? no

12. How often do you clean the tank and how? not too long ago

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned? yes i don't want them to drown.

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently? Just put moss in yesterday

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)? Lost another fellow today. Frustrated mentally handicapped person here.

Beam Me Up Scotty

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Whelp that happened again

Post by curlysister » Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:48 pm

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it? Play sand
Curly - How deep is it?
Is it moistened so that it holds it's shape, but not so wet that water pools in the bottom?

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read? Yes in back of tank heat 70 something and humid is 70 something
Curly - These are both too low. Where in the tank is the thermometer/ hygrometer?
You can put plastic wrap over the top of the tank to hold in the humidity.
Have you moved the heating pad from under the tank and onto the back?

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what? under tank heater
Curly - This needs to be moved to the back of the tank. It is a fire hazard under the tank.

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)? both have zoo med of both water things
Curly - These will not provide the necessary minerals long term.
Look at the 'water' care sheet for proper water treatment. Seachem Prime is a popular brand of dechlorinator. And Instant Ocean is a commonly used brand of marine salt.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced? been feeding some fruit and pelts
Curly - This will not provide the necessary nutrition long term.
Look at the 'nutrition' care sheet for info about what crabs can and should eat.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known? Purple pinchers

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen? yes new crab just changed shells tonight.
Curly - Changing sells is not the same as molting. When a crab molts, they bury underground and stay there while they shed their old exoskeleton and eat it, and the new exoskeleton hardens up.

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing? 10 gallon tank with lid towel over top
Curly - A towel is pourous and will allow humidity and heat to escape. Put plastic wrap over the top, then a towel or blanket to help keep in the heat.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they? 2

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any? put larger shells in and took small shells out
Curly - HCA recommends 3 to 5 extra shells per crab. Look at the 'shells' care sheet to be sure you are offering the correct type of shells.

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently? no

12. How often do you clean the tank and how? not too long ago
Curly - You only need to spot clean, not clean out the entire tank.

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned? yes i don't want them to drown.
Curly - Sponges harbor bacteria. If your pools are deep, use something like craft mesh so the crabs can climb out.

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently? Just put moss in yesterday

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)? Lost another fellow today. Frustrated mentally handicapped person here.
Curly - We have given you much of this information already. There are a number of things that need to be improved in order to give your crabs a chance at surviving long term. Start with the suggestions I have given, and read the 'basics' care sheet.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Prayingmatis

Re: Whelp that happened again

Post by Prayingmatis » Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:36 pm

Moss is creating water stuff on the glass of my tank. There are four little containers of it.
Beam Me Up Scotty