Is he dead? NO movement but no smell

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Jennifer_lynn89

Is he dead? NO movement but no smell

Post by Jennifer_lynn89 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:17 pm

Since you've come to the emergency forum, we know you want a fast answer to your question. In order for us to figure out the problem as quickly as possible, we ask that you answer the following questions as best you can. Some of them may seem odd, but they're all designed to give us the information we need to give you a good solution for your problem. The things in the [ brackets ] are there to make this post easier to read once submitted. Thanks!

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?

Flukers hermit beach and Eco earth, ranging 4-6in in spots

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?

Yes, on the side wall. The temp hangs around 72-75 and humidity is around 85-90.

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?

The reptile basics UTH that stretches across the entire back of the tank and is insulated with foil.

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?

Fresh and salt pools available. Tetra AquaSafe Plus (0.5ml per gal) for fresh water and Fluke's saltwater concentrate (1 tsp per 8oz) for salt water.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?

Fluker's premium Complete diet, fruit, nuts, fresh parsley, dill, carrots, apples, egg shells, beans, and plain chicken and other table scraps. I change it every 3 days or so depending in what's in the dish.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?

About 2.5 months. We got 4 crabs at a store at the beach and brought them home to a much better living environment.

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?

I don't believe so

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?

20 gal, Mesh lid with press and seal wrap around it

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?

4 small crabs

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?

A ton

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?

no

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?

I don't clean it. Just scoop mold once in a while

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?

No

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?

No

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

Ever since we got this crab he has been reclusive and a digger. As soon as he went into the tank he burrowed (so much so that we named him Joe because of Joe Burrow). I'm not sure if he was unhealthy from the start or just didn't handle the transition well.

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.

Fast forward to now, 2.5 months later. We found him not too far under the sand, completely not moving. He's not hanging out of his shell like he's dead, but he's not completely inside either. His shell is obviously too small but he never showed any desire to change. We took him out of the tank, set him down, sprayed water on him, gently poked and still absolutely no movement. However there's also zero fishy smell. I can't imagine he's alive with absolutely zero movement no matter what we do. We decided to bury him tonight and now I'm having second thoughts. Is he really dead with no smell? But he is NOT moving at all no matter what we do and does not look alive.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Is he dead? NO movement but no smell

Post by curlysister » Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:21 pm

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?

Flukers hermit beach and Eco earth, ranging 4-6in in spots

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?

Yes, on the side wall. The temp hangs around 72-75 and humidity is around 85-90.

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?

The reptile basics UTH that stretches across the entire back of the tank and is insulated with foil.

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?

Fresh and salt pools available. Tetra AquaSafe Plus (0.5ml per gal) for fresh water and Fluke's saltwater concentrate (1 tsp per 8oz) for salt water.
Curly - While this won't harm your crabs, you will want to get a marine salt that will provide all the needed minerals.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?

Fluker's premium Complete diet, fruit, nuts, fresh parsley, dill, carrots, apples, egg shells, beans, and plain chicken and other table scraps. I change it every 3 days or so depending in what's in the dish.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?

About 2.5 months. We got 4 crabs at a store at the beach and brought them home to a much better living environment.

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?

I don't believe so

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?

20 gal, Mesh lid with press and seal wrap around it

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?

4 small crabs

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?

A ton

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?

no

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?

I don't clean it. Just scoop mold once in a while

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?

No

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?

No

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

Ever since we got this crab he has been reclusive and a digger. As soon as he went into the tank he burrowed (so much so that we named him Joe because of Joe Burrow). I'm not sure if he was unhealthy from the start or just didn't handle the transition well.

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.

Fast forward to now, 2.5 months later. We found him not too far under the sand, completely not moving. He's not hanging out of his shell like he's dead, but he's not completely inside either. His shell is obviously too small but he never showed any desire to change. We took him out of the tank, set him down, sprayed water on him, gently poked and still absolutely no movement. However there's also zero fishy smell. I can't imagine he's alive with absolutely zero movement no matter what we do. We decided to bury him tonight and now I'm having second thoughts. Is he really dead with no smell? But he is NOT moving at all no matter what we do and does not look alive.
Curly - If you are unsure, you could always put him in a container and keep him separate from your other crabs for a couple of days. Or if you are able to post a photo, we could see what he looks like?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Jennifer_lynn89

Post by Jennifer_lynn89 » Sat Nov 18, 2023 2:01 am

This is the only picture i have. My husband took this at his "vigil". I know it's not a good one to see anything

hermitcrablover2
Location: Why do you want to know?... Ok fine SOMEWHERE in California.

Post by hermitcrablover2 » Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:33 pm

Jennifer_lynn89 wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 2:01 am
This is the only picture i have. My husband took this at his "vigil". I know it's not a good one to see anything

Its kind of tricky to see him very well, is he still not moving? He could be de stressing, but then he would probably at least move a little bit... is he pale or anything, that could mean hes molting. Has he seemed to shift inside the shell at all when you move him? usually dead hermit crabs will fall out of their shell, but I guess if his shell is too small he could be stuck
2 PP's (Boba and Blue), 1 Dog (Coco)

"Eateth. Thy. WORDS." - Donatello, ROTTMNT

Topic author
Jennifer_lynn89

Post by Jennifer_lynn89 » Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:02 am

Normal color but absolutely no movement. He seems in there pretty good. But we did everything we could to get movement and nothing. Just seems so bizarre since he looks and smells normal.