Introducing my first crabs in 15 years!

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Hermias_mom

Re: Introducing my first crabs in 15 years!

Post by Hermias_mom » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:12 am

C_fiesta wrote:Update: today when we came home from out and about we noticed a HOLE where we thought Gus was! He moved! We think he burrowed down somewhere else. He was under for 6 days and is the very tiny one. My pet sand is ALIVE!!!

Also, I adopting a crab who needs rehoming via CL on Thursday! Image

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Yea!!! Fun things happening in your tat!!! Glad your little guys is fine! Hope the adoption goes well!
4PPs and tons of FUN in a 29 gallon!
Hermia(F), Helena(F), Branch(M), and Tiger (M)
RIP Athena

Topic author
C_fiesta

Post by C_fiesta » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:39 am

Hermias_mom wrote:
C_fiesta wrote:Update: today when we came home from out and about we noticed a HOLE where we thought Gus was! He moved! We think he burrowed down somewhere else. He was under for 6 days and is the very tiny one. My pet sand is ALIVE!!!

Yea!!! Fun things happening in your tat!!! Glad your little guys is fine! Hope the adoption goes well!
Yes! Currently in process of adopting some more crabs out of state, probably will pick them up this weekend. I am just so thrilled! I am thankful for two things right now: 1) I went with the 55 instead of the 20, so I have the space to adopt. And we are currently talking about adding the 20 as a topper. 2) I didn't cave and get any from Petsmart/Petco. All my crabbies will be from rehoming adoptions! Yay! So happy! ImageImageImage

Hey! I'm Christine! I have 5 hermit crabs. Join me on Instagram @christinescrabcare. Also, checkout my Etsy shop www.etsy.com/shop/christinescrabcare

Hermias_mom

Post by Hermias_mom » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:42 am

C_fiesta wrote:
Hermias_mom wrote:

Yes! Currently in process of adopting some more crabs out of state, probably will pick them up this weekend. I am just so thrilled! I am thankful for two things right now: 1) I went with the 55 instead of the 20, so I have the space to adopt. And we are currently talking about adding the 20 as a topper. 2) I didn't cave and get any from Petsmart/Petco. All my crabbies will be from rehoming adoptions! Yay! So happy! ImageImageImage

Yea for you!!! That's just the way I want to do it (adoptions instead of petstore, 55 gal tank, etc.)! I guess only time will tell if my aspirations will match my reality... Keep us posted on how those adoptions go!
RIP Athena

Topic author
C_fiesta

Post by C_fiesta » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:45 am

I will! Thanks!

Hey! I'm Christine! I have 5 hermit crabs. Join me on Instagram @christinescrabcare. Also, checkout my Etsy shop www.etsy.com/shop/christinescrabcare

Topic author
C_fiesta

Post by C_fiesta » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:46 am

In summer, there's a lot of opportunity for adoption: people coming back from their shore vacations and their kids lost interest, college kids going to college and don't want them/can't take them, and people moving who can't take them/don't want them.

Hermias_mom

Post by Hermias_mom » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:54 am

C_fiesta wrote:In summer, there's a lot of opportunity for adoption: people coming back from their shore vacations and their kids lost interest, college kids going to college and don't want them/can't take them, and people moving who can't take them/don't want them.

I've been haunting Craigslist and coming up with a great big zero for nigh on 6 months now for crabs in my area. But I also have 4 crabs in a 29 gallon (now that my husband just recently "had" to rescue one from a beach shop...). So I'm probably going to wait until we set up a larger tank to try again. I was hoping to save that last spot in my 29 gallon for an adoption, but I wasn't about to discourage my husband from getting involved, and he had his heart set on this one particular crab... :?
RIP Athena

Topic author
C_fiesta

Post by C_fiesta » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:09 am

Hermias_mom wrote:
C_fiesta wrote:In summer, there's a lot of opportunity for adoption: people coming back from their shore vacations and their kids lost interest, college kids going to college and don't want them/can't take them, and people moving who can't take them/don't want them.

I've been haunting Craigslist and coming up with a great big zero for nigh on 6 months now for crabs in my area. But I also have 4 crabs in a 29 gallon (now that my husband just recently "had" to rescue one from a beach shop...). So I'm probably going to wait until we set up a larger tank to try again. I was hoping to save that last spot in my 29 gallon for an adoption, but I wasn't about to discourage my husband from getting involved, and he had his heart set on this one particular crab... :?
One was a CL ad, another was a response to my CL ad, and the other is through an adoption agency.

Topic author
C_fiesta

Post by C_fiesta » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:43 am

Exciting things are happening!
Last night I was up way too late finishing a book. I decided to check on the crabs before heading to bed since it was so late (midnight). I was rewarded! GUS WAS UP!! He is my teeny tiny. He was checking out the shell shop. I almost had a heart attack when it looked like he was naked, but I realized it was just his flesh-colored magpie with sand on it. I didn't have the lights on, so it was hard to tell. I want to get some nighttime viewing lights. Anyway, I hadn't seen him since I got him over a week ago. I believe he molted. He has beautiful dark red legs and I think I saw tiny black "toenails"! It was soooo cute! I wish I got a picture! Anyway, I watched him for a whole hour despite being way past my typical bedtime. He shell shopped, stoped by the salt water pool (the little one) and shell shopped some more. I watched him for a good 20 minutes at least inspect one small green turbo. I couldn't stay up anymore and he just kept inspecting and inspecting, so I went to bed. I thought for sure he would have changed into it. But this morning the green turbo is in the same spot and his magpie shell is no where to be found. I assume he went back to hiding. Sorry for the novel, it was just so exciting because it was the first time seeing MY crab doing anything! Finally being a crab owner is great! *swoon*

Hermias_mom

Post by Hermias_mom » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:49 pm

C_fiesta wrote:Exciting things are happening!
Last night I was up way too late finishing a book. I decided to check on the crabs before heading to bed since it was so late (midnight). I was rewarded! GUS WAS UP!! He is my teeny tiny. He was checking out the shell shop. I almost had a heart attack when it looked like he was naked, but I realized it was just his flesh-colored magpie with sand on it. I didn't have the lights on, so it was hard to tell. I want to get some nighttime viewing lights. Anyway, I hadn't seen him since I got him over a week ago. I believe he molted. He has beautiful dark red legs and I think I saw tiny black "toenails"! It was soooo cute! I wish I got a picture! Anyway, I watched him for a whole hour despite being way past my typical bedtime. He shell shopped, stoped by the salt water pool (the little one) and shell shopped some more. I watched him for a good 20 minutes at least inspect one small green turbo. I couldn't stay up anymore and he just kept inspecting and inspecting, so I went to bed. I thought for sure he would have changed into it. But this morning the green turbo is in the same spot and his magpie shell is no where to be found. I assume he went back to hiding. Sorry for the novel, it was just so exciting because it was the first time seeing MY crab doing anything! Finally being a crab owner is great! *swoon*

Yea! I am so happy for you!!! Congratulations on the successful molt!

Yes, these are the joys of crab ownership. :) :D :clap: I can't tell you how many hours I've stayed up watching my crabs do stuff when I'm supposed to be sleeping. :wink: I like to watch how they move, it's just fascinating! Welcome to the the club!!!
RIP Athena

Topic author
C_fiesta

Post by C_fiesta » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:49 pm

mjjluver

Post by mjjluver » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:10 am

Love their names! Another Psych fan here :)

Teddscau

Post by Teddscau » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:20 am

Your crabs are pathetically small. Even my tiny Oliver could beat them up on the playground! But seriously though, your guys are freaking cute. I can't believe somebody bothered collecting them from the wild when they were that small!

Just some advice: they'd probably like it if you went out and collected fresh maple leaves and oak leaves, dried them in the toaster oven, then tossed them in the terrarium for them to munch on and hide under. Oh. My. Gosh! I just thought of something so cute! The next time you make eggs, give them the rinsed shells to nibble on and hide in! Man, that would be so cute! Oh, and buy them a sea urchin! I hid a krill inside a sea urchin for my guys, and when I got up in the morning, I found the thing broken in half!

Oh, and also buy them kelp! I get mine at the health food store. Just tear pieces off, and toss them in the tank. I just treat it like leaf litter, so I don't bother removing it. I also like to put orchid bark in with my guys. Just make sure it's made from deciduous bark and that it doesn't have any fertilizers or antifungals in it. Fudge! And get them some New Zealand sphagnum moss, soak it in dechlorinated water, then toss it in the tank. They'll probably love drinking the water off of it, nibbling on it, and playing in its damp...tendrils?

You can get a lot of different foods for them at health food stores. Kelp, Himalayan salt, chamomile, hibiscus, dried anchovies... I know you just got them, so you're probably still buying things for them. I know this is a Canadian website, but I'll just refer you to Fruit & Seed Pods and the Bio-Active sections for ideas...

https://www.stargazerexotics.ca/online- ... -c23351105
https://www.stargazerexotics.ca/online- ... -c19179330

Anyways, congratulations on the new crabs!

Oh! I forgot to mention—you should go on parrot supply websites for food and decorations. I'd reccomend checking out Things for Wings, Feathered Addictions, and My Safe Bird Store. Look at their natural toys and shreddables, and check out the foods by Totally Organic Pellets, Goldenfeast, TEAKS (Tea4Beaks), and Avian Organics. Here in Canada, there's this company called Avian Organics that sells dried mash mixes (just add water and cook). Anyways, parrots and hermit crabs have a fair bit in common, oddly enough, so you can use a lot of parrot supplies for them. I like Goldenfeast's Conure Gourmet Blend, Petite Hookbill Legume Blend, and their tropical fruit mix. I also feed my crabs leftover TOPs and Goldenfeast Golden'obles from my aviary. Those pellets have a few a few "aromatic" herbs in them that hermit crabs might not like the smell of, but those ingredients make up only a small part of those pellets, plus all the ingredients are safe for crabs. They're human grade and they don't have any sort of artificial colours, flavours, vitamins, or preservatives. I just mix in some of those pellets with worm casings, powdered hermit crab food from Canadian Crab Connection, New Life Spectrum fish pellets, bloodworms, krill, mysis shrimp, Goldenfeast's various whole food blends, poop from my aviary (budgies, kākāriki, parrotlet), and homemade mash. I also give them leftover veggies from the aviary, grass (I collect fresh grass with seed on it for my birds), feathers, and other random things they've thrown all over the aviary. I also give them natural toys (mahogany pods, vine twists, etc.) that are covered in bird poop.

Hermias_mom

Post by Hermias_mom » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:27 am

Teddscau wrote:Your crabs are pathetically small. Even my tiny Oliver could beat them up on the playground! But seriously though, your guys are freaking cute. I can't believe somebody bothered collecting them from the wild when they were that small!

Just some advice: they'd probably like it if you went out and collected fresh maple leaves and oak leaves, dried them in the toaster oven, then tossed them in the terrarium for them to munch on and hide under. Oh. My. Gosh! I just thought of something so cute! The next time you make eggs, give them the rinsed shells to nibble on and hide in! Man, that would be so cute! Oh, and buy them a sea urchin! I hid a krill inside a sea urchin for my guys, and when I got up in the morning, I found the thing broken in half!

Oh, and also buy them kelp! I get mine at the health food store. Just tear pieces off, and toss them in the tank. I just treat it like leaf litter, so I don't bother removing it. I also like to put orchid bark in with my guys. Just make sure it's made from deciduous bark and that it doesn't have any fertilizers or antifungals in it. Fudge! And get them some New Zealand sphagnum moss, soak it in dechlorinated water, then toss it in the tank. They'll probably love drinking the water off of it, nibbling on it, and playing in its damp...tendrils?

You can get a lot of different foods for them at health food stores. Kelp, Himalayan salt, chamomile, hibiscus, dried anchovies... I know you just got them, so you're probably still buying things for them. I know this is a Canadian website, but I'll just refer you to Fruit & Seed Pods and the Bio-Active sections for ideas...

https://www.stargazerexotics.ca/online- ... -c23351105
https://www.stargazerexotics.ca/online- ... -c19179330

Anyways, congratulations on the new crabs!

Oh! I forgot to mention—you should go on parrot supply websites for food and decorations. I'd reccomend checking out Things for Wings, Feathered Addictions, and My Safe Bird Store. Look at their natural toys and shreddables, and check out the foods by Totally Organic Pellets, Goldenfeast, TEAKS (Tea4Beaks), and Avian Organics. Here in Canada, there's this company called Avian Organics that sells dried mash mixes (just add water and cook). Anyways, parrots and hermit crabs have a fair bit in common, oddly enough, so you can use a lot of parrot supplies for them. I like Goldenfeast's Conure Gourmet Blend, Petite Hookbill Legume Blend, and their tropical fruit mix. I also feed my crabs leftover TOPs and Goldenfeast Golden'obles from my aviary. Those pellets have a few a few "aromatic" herbs in them that hermit crabs might not like the smell of, but those ingredients make up only a small part of those pellets, plus all the ingredients are safe for crabs. They're human grade and they don't have any sort of artificial colours, flavours, vitamins, or preservatives. I just mix in some of those pellets with worm casings, powdered hermit crab food from Canadian Crab Connection, New Life Spectrum fish pellets, bloodworms, krill, mysis shrimp, Goldenfeast's various whole food blends, poop from my aviary (budgies, kākāriki, parrotlet), and homemade mash. I also give them leftover veggies from the aviary, grass (I collect fresh grass with seed on it for my birds), feathers, and other random things they've thrown all over the aviary. I also give them natural toys (mahogany pods, vine twists, etc.) that are covered in bird poop.
Those are some cool ideas! I'll definitely check them out!
RIP Athena