Neighbor gave me 4 hermit crabs last Thursday

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
KcSchempp

Re: Neighbor gave me 4 hermit crabs last Thursday

Post by KcSchempp » Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:29 pm

I pinned down the source of the moldy musty smell. It was their beloved coconut condo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shancarl1971

Post by shancarl1971 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:15 pm

One other tip on your substrate change.....if you use EcoEarth bricks, you have to let it dry out before you mix it with the sand. You can buy it in bags, and it's already dry. Depends on whether you want to be more budget friendly with the brick, or faster and easier with the bag. The last time I bought a BAG, I price matched it at Petsmart, to their online price. It saved me quite a bit. It doesn't make sense to me that their prices are different online than in-store!! But you can also do that at Petco.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:24 pm

shancarl1971 wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:15 pm
One other tip on your substrate change.....if you use EcoEarth bricks, you have to let it dry out before you mix it with the sand. You can buy it in bags, and it's already dry. Depends on whether you want to be more budget friendly with the brick, or faster and easier with the bag. The last time I bought a BAG, I price matched it at Petsmart, to their online price. It saved me quite a bit. It doesn't make sense to me that their prices are different online than in-store!! But you can also do that at Petco.
If your sand is dry, then a brick of moistened EE mixes up to almost perfect consistency. You don't have to let it dry out.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
KcSchempp

Post by KcSchempp » Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:29 pm

Thank you both. I mixed the semi-damp eco-earth with the dry sand. It was a bit damp, but I think it helps keep it humid (?)

Since I got rid of their beloved coconut condo, and replaced all the substrate, it smells pleasantly earthy in there, not horrible like it did with the coconut condo.

It’s a shame because that was literally their favorite place. They used to all huddle up together in it, and now they just buried themselves wherever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk