New Crab Mom humidity issue

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
smokeasarus

New Crab Mom humidity issue

Post by smokeasarus » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:41 am

Hi, new momma here to two crabbies. one crab is from wildwood, NJ purchased august 22 and the other crab was rescued from petco august 31. I did my research first so in my 10 gallon tank i have 6 inches of quikrete all purpose sand mixed with one brick zoo med eco earth. i have freshwater (boiled tap water) and saltwater (instant ocean sea salt). i have a 16w AIICIOO UTH that is on the back left side of my tank. the edge of the UTH runs along the top of the tank and the edge, the top 25% of the substrate is covered with the UTH. the thermometer for the UTH is on the right side of the tank and the tank digital thermometer is directly across from the UTH. i have zoo med moss all over. the UTH was installed august 31 around 530 pm. it is now 1:39 am and the UTH is reading 74 (set at 85 f), tank is reading 77, humidity fluctuating between 50 and 70. i have to spray a lot to make it 70. i have a screen lid (bad choice i know-working on it) but i put plastic over top of the tank then the lid. we’re still hovering around 50 for humidity…plan on getting plexiglass and fitting it to the inside lip of the top of the tank and drilling some holes. please help me get my humidity up.

Alexahunter10

Re: New Crab Mom humidity issue

Post by Alexahunter10 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:54 am

Hi! If you have lots of moss and the lid covered 50 is still very low for it to drop. Maybe the gage is broken? I’d check and maybe get a new one and see if they both read the same. You could also try larger water bowls and put them by the heating pad. The heat will evaporate water more and you’ll have to refill them or prime them more often depending on what size they all ready are. I added bubblers to my pools and that helped so much with humidity!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
smokeasarus

Post by smokeasarus » Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:54 am

i was thinking about investing in bubblers. i may just need to do that. i found a link on here for a DIY humidifier. i’ll try moving the pools too and try some air rocks. thank you.

Topic author
smokeasarus

Post by smokeasarus » Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:57 am

i’m also going to try and calibrate my humidity gauge tonight. the crabs are pretty active and it’s pretty warm in there when i open it up but i’m going to make some modifications today