Introducing new crabs?

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
Eholna

Introducing new crabs?

Post by Eholna » Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:02 pm

Hi everyone! I'm a new crab mom who inherited a couple of unwanted crabs and I've been reading through your forums to educate myself on how to help them live their best life.

Long story short, one of the crabs immediately buried himself as soon as I got them onto a sand substrate. Now the other crab is alone. I have found two more adoptable crabs that I am getting tomorrow but then it occurred to me... is there a good way to introduce crabs to each other? Or do you just put the new ones in and see what happens? What are signs of bullying and what should I do if that occurs?

Thank you so much for reading! If these questions have already been answered, sorry for posting twice, and please direct me to the correct resource.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Introducing new crabs?

Post by curlysister » Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:17 am

Many of us give all the crabs (old and new) a quick dip into the fresh water. That way they all smell the same, and nobody seems like an 'intruder'.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Eholna

Post by Eholna » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:07 pm

Thank you! I did that and they haven't attacked each other but also they aren't hanging out at all. They keep to themselves. One is much larger than the other, could this be a factor?

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:37 pm

Some crabs hang in groups and some don't - it does not mean anything is wrong. What used to be thought of as social behavior is now known to be more a matter of resource sharing.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers